It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar and Punctuation.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Sorry WP, mirth overcame me, I've been a bad monkey.

Maybe you should be spanked?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As for english well im still learnding, whats that? me fail englich thats unpossible. Sorry I couldn't help myself back there. But like people have said a lot of people don't really know English. Even Americans and English such as myself are far from perfection when typing English. If your curious about Westpoint's age just look at his profile to see when he was born if your so curious. BTW has WP even seen this thread? If not maybe somebody should send him a u2u. On second thought maybe it would be best if we let him get on with life.

[edit on 7/30/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Maybe you should be spanked?

Gooaaaal! But I think I should get an assist in the "gratuitous remark" column.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Gooaaaal! But I think I should get an assist in the "gratuitous remark" column.

You keep setting them up, I'll keep knocking them down.
I'll return the favour first chance I get. Cyberdude has a point, maybe we ALL should get on with life.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I hope you dont start counting off for spelling and grammer Hillbilly/Biker/Libertarians aint the best spellers in the world.

Besides who reads WestPoints posts anyhow?

Just kidding

[edit on 30-7-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
There are some people on here who do not use a little something called punctuation, and it's kinda hard to read the points they bring up becasue of it. That "WestPoint" guy is a perfect example. He talks about military stuff mostly, but, based off the posts he makes, it seems like he's ten years old.

Man WestPoint is taking a beating in this thread. I think it�s inappropriate to start a thread about another member�s grammar or writing skills and style. I just don�t think it helps anyone and will likely be embarrassing and upsetting to that member. I think you should edit your post and talk about your issues without mentioning members of this board. It�s the right thing to do.

Or are you attempting to settle a score with him?

btw - if I was a moderator this thread would find its way to the trash.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
If your curious about Westpoint's age just look at his profile to see when he was born if your so curious. BTW has WP even seen this thread? If not maybe somebody should send him a u2u. On second thought maybe it would be best if we let him get on with life.

As to WestPoint23's age, he like so many members has left the birthday area blank (so not to be criticized for being young, no doubt... if all who think this way only knew the truth), I like many of the "geezers" put my birthday, yes if you look that really is my birthday (I expect cards and gifts next year), simply because I no longer care. Further investigation indicates the day before "WestPoint23" registered, a member registered "WestPoint13", I leave any conclusions to those that care to make them. I personally don't care what a given posters age is, I do however, balance their posts content versus any demographic information, expressed, or implied, to create a personal "veracity and quality" score.

Finally, as to informing the unfortunate (and probably unfairly mentioned) WP as to his frequent mention in this thread, I submit this link.

Three Filters, or "Do you really want to know?"

[edit on 30/7/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Age is irellevant. I know members here that are 13-15 and contribute excellent material. Gotten advice from some too and they're 30 years my junior.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Sorry about the puncuation before, my keyboard would only let me press backspace, so i had to quote someone else and backspace my words. I was just wanting to say that the only thing that really detears me from reading is when a poster has a long post and never presses enter.

When you put spaces between thoughts, they dont all run together, and its easier to read. I dont get made at ppl for this though, since most ppl dont realize how hard it to read posts like these until they have been on a forum for awhile.

But if you read this and you are guilty of not putting spaces between thoughts, plz do.

---pineapple

[edit on 30-7-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
see above

[edit on 30-7-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Would you happen to be a musician?
Can you read music?

No, I do not play an instrument, but musical ability runs in the family. So technically, no, I am not a musician (and can't read music). I have a feeling this is a rhetorical question.

Originally posted by DramaticPause
If you care so little for your position that you refuse to take the time to provide a minimum effort of grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation, why should we care about your position?

Exactly.

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
As long as the person can get their point across while appearing to have some logical form of thought, then I see no reason why someone should be bashed for not using proper grammer - this is an online culture and there are many things that operate differently here, but there are those who stick to their guns even when online

Thats just it - there is no logical form of thought in his posts. You have to guess what words go with what sentence. I love military "stuff" but when WestPoint23 starts typing away, with no regard to basic punctuation, I kinda lose my interest.

Originally posted by machinegunjordan
xeno why don you be quiet about using other members names in public. if you can understand what they say it is perfectly fun otherwise you are just being picky so stop. BTW i didnt use punctuation
i dont like picky people.

Because, as I originally stated, he was only one EXAMPLE.

PS You used two periods.

Originally posted by kinglizard
Or are you attempting to settle a score with him?

btw - if I was a moderator this thread would find its way to the trash.

NO, there is no score to settle, its just the fact that EVERY post WP makes is one lung run on sentence. It's so bad IMO, I'd be surprised if an english teacher could correct it. And please remeber, he is only an example.

Could you perhaps make a rule to the ATS forum guidelines that says you must at least TRY to form a coherent post and/or check it before you post it? I mean people that miss a few periods, commas here and there, thats (obvioulsy) understandable. But when there isnt ONE single period or comma, we have a problem.

[edit on 7/30/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
stop using westpoints name in posts !!!!!! how many people have said that. and i didnt use punctuation where i should have or capitalization. IMO ur just being picky so just stop posting this stuff . i can understand westpoints posts and thats all that matters. wart if sumones jut strated a thread about you and your pickyness or somethingn. everyone has there faults so dont mentione names. yes i typed like that on purpose

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
From the Vietnam post, pg3, second to last reply:

Originally posted by WestPoint23
You haven't given me a chance I will enroll next year when i am 18...

I assume he�s seventeen? For the record, he did use punctuation in that post, albeit sporadically.

I know that you started out using him as an example, but it has turned into a thread primarily aimed at him. Maybe we should send him a link to the thread so he can speak for himself? I can�t believe this issue has recieved three pages of replies.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by para
From the Vietnam post, pg3, second to last reply:

Originally posted by WestPoint23
You haven't given me a chance I will enroll next year when i am 18...

I assume he�s seventeen? For the record, he did use punctuation in that post, albeit sporadically.

I know that you started out using him as an example, but it has turned into a thread primarily aimed at him. Maybe we should send him a link to the thread so he can speak for himself? I can�t believe this issue has recieved three pages of replies.
i agree with everything you said.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Xenophane,

No, it wasn't rhetorical.
I thought that MAYBE...Since Music is written as a complex form of punctuation, you may be more sensitive to the Lack of it..
Just a theory!..but you blew it for me LOL..
Thanks for answering though..

Space

Edit to correct spelling of own NAME

[edit on 30-7-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I've actually already U2U'd him a while ago with the link to this thread - I think it is unfair to use him as a primary example without allowing him input - chances are that if he stays in the military threads he's not going to pop in on a thread called "Grammar and Punctuation."

I don't know when he was on last, but I'm sure I was able to peak his intrests enough to come here and lay things down - Nothing against the original poster of this thread and all, do what you want man (apart from drawing neg. attn. from the mods), but I think WP23 should be allowed input since he has been singled out - I'd expect the same....

[edit on 7/30/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Great Enron, maybe he can demonstrate his skills in this thread, and convince us that such posts are unacceptably hard to decypher.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
Great Enron, maybe he can demonstrate his skills in this thread, and convince us that such posts are unacceptably hard to decypher.

lmao - that would be awesome.....Like a door-to-door salesmen, proving once and for all that this is no urban legend -

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
EnronOutrunHomerun

You beat me to it, he should have a chance to speak on his own behalf. wheither he is 13 or 113

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Why are you picking on the grammatic skills of a fellow ATS member in public?

If you can't understand a member's contributions because of their imperfections in spelling or punctuation, then scroll past their posts, OR, put them on ignore.

When you created this thread you exhibited far more bad form than any one who drops a period ever will.

I second that! A U2U would have been more appropriate. This post reads like a sixth-grade girls gossip session. Not worthy of ATS space at all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join