It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar and Punctuation.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The beauty of option 2 is that if you wait long enough, someone will usually criticize (legibly) the point the offending poster has made. In doing so, they will bring up the points in the post. Sort of a �two for one� post deal.

Yeah, I�m pretty lazy.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
There are a lot of abrev. and such online, just a tool to get your point out there quickly. I don't know how long it took me to figure out what BTW meant. WTF, that one was easy. Thing is if you are speed typing, nixing the punctuation and capitals, some people will just skip your post. I do, if it's in a topic that I'm not really into. That's a shame because not only are you not getting your point across, maybe I have missed something that is pertinent. This coming from a TFT (2 finger typer).

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Why are you picking on the grammatic skills of a fellow ATS member in public?

If you can't understand a member's contributions because of their imperfections in spelling or punctuation, then scroll past their posts, OR, put them on ignore.

When you created this thread you exhibited far more bad form than any one who drops a period ever will.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
HEY!

Punctuate THIS:

That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is

It can be done .

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
HEY!

Punctuate THIS:

It can be done .

The fox jumped over the fence.

Jill has a red ball, but wants the blue ball.

don't try to complicate things for me

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   

HEY!

Punctuate THIS:

It can be done .

That that is, is that. That is not. Is! Not! Is that it? It is.

Do I get a cookie if I'm right?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Val,

YOu are REALLY REALLY close..!

I'll wait a bit before I give away the cookie.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Why are you picking on the grammatic skills of a fellow ATS member in public?

I think he did it because he finds it somewhat annoying that some members just do not use punctuation in my opinion it can get confusing sometimes i know points can still be extracted from the most chaotic and retarded posts does it mean others should no longer try to ventilate their opinion in a slightly readable way just like everyone else is doing i think westpoint either has no clue what he's making himself look like or wants to be famous on ats for his way of posting either way i would just ignore him if he would mix himself in a thread i am in as well it's really annoying to decypher posts 0n th3 0th3r h@nd 1t5 @t l3a$t g00d h3'$ n0t p0$t1ng l1k3 th1$

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Xenophane,

Would you happen to be a musician?
Can you read music?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   

HEY!
Punctuate THIS:
It can be done .

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is it. Can be? Done!
I'm not sure about the last part...

Originally posted by taibunsuu
The fox jumped over the fence.

Okay this one is easy.
The fox! Jump Ed! Over the fence!

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Jakko,

The last 4 words are not part of it..That was my own sentence..
you are 99 percent correct though..!

Getting another cookie out of the box..

By the way, this came from a movie called Charly, based on a book called
"Flowers For Algernon"

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   

The last 4 words are not part of it..That was my own sentence..
you are 99 percent correct though..!

I know, I was kinda joking there. ;+)
I allready knew it.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
Grammar means squat as long as you can get your point accross.

Actually, I'll disagree.

This is a written medium, in which the only way to judge a person's credibility is through the quality of the words they commit to post. If you care so little for your position that you refuse to take the time to provide a minimum effort of grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation, why should we care about your position?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Jakko,,

you knew it? Cool...!

You're a regular Charly...LOL

alright, a cookie for you...and the rest of the box for Val...!

That, that is, is. That, that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.

Bunchasmartpeoplearoundhere!

d1k

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DramaticPause
Actually, I'll disagree.

This is a written medium, in which the only way to judge a person's credibility is through the quality of the words they commit to post.

That is so very not true and if you actually believe that you must disbelieve almost everything you read.

If you care so little for your position that you refuse to take the time to provide a minimum effort of grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation, why should we care about your position?

You don't have to care, you don't have to read it. It does not change the context or validity of what is being said.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by d1k]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I do, find it. Somewhat ; distracting when people don't follow. the Rules of PuncTUatioN, but . if their; InforMATion ! is good, then I have: no, problems with their. threads;

If, on.the ;Other hand, they spout: crap. Then I don;t bother. answering" their comments,

lmao

I try and read every post before I post something myself....if it looks like the person who posted didn't take their time saying what they want to say, then oh well...

Personally, I have my own little online grammer book - sometimes I'll seperate thoughts with a "...." or a "-"

or

this

As long as the person can get their point across while appearing to have some logical form of thought, then I see no reason why someone should be bashed for not using proper grammer - this is an online culture and there are many things that operate differently here, but there are those who stick to their guns even when online

And you know what?! That's fine....b/c that's the spice of life - and I like things spicy - lol

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

This is a written medium, in which the only way to judge a person's credibility is through the quality of the words they commit to post.

So, by example, if someone were to post this:

"I am the President of the United States. Do not underestimate my abilities. I control nuclear weapons!"

We would know it was bogus, whereas if someone posted this:

"Hey buddy, I'm the Preserdent of America. Don't misunderestimate my powersl. I can drop nuculer bombs six ways to Sundy!"

It is more likely to be authentic.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I don't know about DP, but you can usually tell the differecne between someone that English is their 2nd language and someone who is just speeding through their post to get it out there.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
xeno why don you be quiet about using other members names in public. if you can understand what they say it is perfectly fun otherwise you are just being picky so stop. BTW i didnt use punctuation
i dont like picky people.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
So, by example, if someone were to post this:

"I am the President of the United States. Do not underestimate my abilities. I control nuclear weapons!"

We would know it was bogus, whereas if someone posted this:

"Hey buddy, I'm the Preserdent of America. Don't misunderestimate my powersl. I can drop nuculer bombs six ways to Sundy!"

It is more likely to be authentic.

Not even close Majic, George "W" is obviously a "no caps, no punc" kind of guy (in a Presidential way), it would read more like this:

Originally posted by georgew43
hey buddy im the preserdent of america don't misunderestimate my powers i can drop nuculer bombs six ways to sundy

OMG! It reads just like one of WestpPoint23's posts, SCOOP! where's that "Submit NEWS" button? Headline "George W does ATS" here I come!

Sorry WP, mirth overcame me, I've been a bad monkey.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join