It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar and Punctuation.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
There are some people on here who do not use a little something called punctuation, and it's kinda hard to read the points they bring up becasue of it. That "WestPoint" guy is a perfect example. He talks about military stuff mostly, but, based off the posts he makes, it seems like he's ten years old. Since when are ten year olds credible sources for imformation about the military? Anyways, I doubt hes ten years old, but I'd probably enjoy his posts and take them more seriously if he actually tried to sound intelligent and credible. He is only one example, but probably the best one.

I'm not complaining, I just am wondering what the rest of you think about people like him and if theres anything that can be done. I consider this a "smart" forum, and people like him just stick out like a sore thumb. I understand the freedom of speech, and nonconformity, its just I take most of the things this forum is about seriously.

Comments? Suggestions?

d1k

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a) Not everyones native language is English.

b) This is not school nor a professional setting, this is an internet message board. Grammar means squat as long as you can get your point accross.

Not to be offensive but your grammar isn't perfect either.

My two cents.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by d1k]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Since when are ten year olds credible sources for imformation about the military?

Happens everytime someone puts up a "critical" post like this...

m...

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I agree with d1k, its all about getting your point across. I will say that I do find it annoying when PEOPLE DONT FolLOW simple SENTENCE StrucTure and Mess with the capS but I can Get tHroUgh the text and find the point oF tHe post.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Yes but, find the thread in the Military forum called "Vietnam". Then, look at WestPoint's posts. I (and everyone else) look like an English doctorate compared to him. All his posts are, are just one 100+ word sentence. How does that "get his point across"? Also, his spelling/grammaer arent bad, and I know there are "first language isnt english" memeber here - I was commenting on his punctuation.

[edit on 7/30/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
Since when are ten year olds credible sources for imformation about the military?

Since when is age used to discredit somebody on ATS?? Even if they were 10 wahts to say that they dont know alot about the military?? If this forum is about seriousness then you need to stop distinguishing by age. Grammar is the least of the problems message boards face, including ATS.

I went off on a tangent. It just pisses me off when people distinguish by age and discredit kids cuz of there age.

[Edited on 30-7-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Hahahahahaha!!
Great one Springer

Mind you, this is the internet, so expecting perfection is ridiculous.

If you can understand what they say, even if its a pain in the neck, then the grammar and spelling are good enough.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Also, his spelling/grammaer arent bad, and I know there are "first language isnt english" memeber here. I was commenting on his punctuation.

Xeno, why not stop while you are behind mate?

It's been said a thousand times, this is a GLOBAL community made up of all types that are ALL welcome regardless of English abilities.

m...

d1k

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   

All his posts are just one 100+ word sentence. How does that "get his point across"?

Well it still gets his point across but I have to agree with you I cannot stand people who make 40 line sentences without a period or carriage return.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Since when is age used to discredit somebody on ATS?? Even if they were 10 wahts to say that they dont know alot about the military?? If this forum is about seriousness then you need to stop distinguishing by age. Grammar is the least of the problems message boards face, including ATS.

I went off on a tangent. It just pisses me off when people distinguish by age and discredit kids cuz of there age.

You conveniantly forgot to read and quote the sentences before and after what you quoted me on. I said "it seems like he's ten years old" and then "I doubt hes ten years old". Key phrases "SEEMS LIKE" and "I DOUBT". So, in the future, dont pick and choose the quoted matrial in order to further your argument. Please? He probably is older, but it just makes him seem so much younger when he makes himself look so ... stupid.

[edit on 7/30/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I didnt quote them. But I took them into consideration. But even though you said Seems Like and Doubt, you STILL said:

which distinguishes age and your saying that 10 year olds arent credible sources of information.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   

You conveniantly forgot to read and quote the sentences before and after what you quoted me on. I said "it seems like he's ten years old" and then "I doubt hes ten years old". Key phrases "SEEMS LIKE" and "I DOUBT". So, in the future, dont pick and choose the quoted matrial in order to further your argument. Please? He probably is older, but it just makes him seem so much younger when he makes himself look so ... stupid.

Or am I watching the same train wreck over, and over again?

Conveniently

Hes

Dont

Material

Six missed commas, and one extra comma just to obfuscate.

Nope, different train wrecks, same cause

out

[edit on 30/7/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   
You shouldve just quit while you were ahead.
lol

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
This is going nowhere, so Ill help it get there faster.

Westpoints posts are hard to read, and it would be easier if he (and others) used any punctuation at all, but they can do whatever they want. Remember it reflects their intelligence level, not yours, so dont worry about it. If all else fails, skip the post. Youll be happier for it.

XL5

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I just have to. All yours grammer are belong to us....What you says?!?! Somebodys sets up us the fo shizzle and now we need to take off everys dots and space for great justice!

Sry, I just have great memories of that AYB movie, was on the floor laughing the first time I saw it.

www.planettribes.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Yes, everyone should review their posts once they're done writing it. It would make it a hell of a lot easier to read.

A simple u2u to the member in question would suffice.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I do, find it. Somewhat ; distracting when people don't follow. the Rules of PuncTUatioN, but . if their; InforMATion ! is good, then I have: no, problems with their. threads;

If, on.the ;Other hand, they spout: crap. Then I don;t bother. answering" their comments,

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   

There are some people on here who do not use a little something called punctuation, and it's kinda hard to read the points they bring up becasue (because) of it. That "WestPoint" guy is a perfect example. He talks about military stuff mostly, but, based off the posts he makes, it seems like he's ten years old. Since when are ten year olds (ten-year-olds) credible sources for imformation (information) about the military? Anyways, I doubt hes (he's) ten years old, but I'd probably enjoy his posts and take them more seriously if he actually tried to sound intelligent and credible. He is only one example, but probably the best one.

I'm not complaining, I just am wondering what the rest of you think about people like him and if theres (there's) anything that can be done. I consider this a "smart" forum, and people like him just stick out like a sore thumb. (like sore thumbs) I understand the freedom of speech, and nonconformity, its (it's) just I take most of the things this forum is about seriously.

Comments? Suggestions?

well, personally i don't really care if people stick to being perectly correct, especially considering how much effort it takes to hit the Caps Lock button. Westpoint does seem pretty young, but how else are people going to learn unless they ask questions and debate and read?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
When I encounter a post that is difficult or impossible to read, I usually do one of two things:

1) Ask for clarification, or

2) Ignore the post.

So far, that system works great.

I'm not here to teach English or change the minds of others, just to observe, learn and comment. If others wish to influence my opinions, it is incumbent upon them to present their cases in ways that are both persuasive and legible to me. If they fail to do that, it's a fair bet that I'm not missing anything earth-shaking.

For what it's worth, when presented with a large, ugly, solid block of text presented as a single, massive paragraph, I usually exercise Option 2.

To date, I have no regrets about my "hard-to-read" post policy.

In the marketplace of ideas, it is up to the vendor to sell a desirable product.

Edit: Never one to leave well enough alone.

[edit on 7/30/2004 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I do find some posts hard to read and wish they would use better english but people can reply how they like. I looked at a few of Westpoint's posts on the 'Vietnam' thread and I feel they were reflective of what he usually posts.

However, recently I have seen a slight improvement in his posts.

Originally posted by Westpoint23 on 'Britain's missed opportunities'
A stealth plane is not good if it can fly supersonic cuz first it would make a lot on noise the sonic boom for example and a radar operator would notice a bird going mach 2. the B-2 and F-117 could have both been supersonic but it was counterproductive for a stealth plane to go supersonic.

There are now some full stops. Maybe he has read this thread...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join