It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insect repellent, any tips?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Plantain is a good choice, not to mention it has many uses. Even though many people consider it a "weed".

Oh and yarrow (Alchellia millefolium) has been shown by some studies to be more effective than deet.

A recent US Army study showed yarrow tincture to be more effective than DEET as an insect repellent.

Harm None
Peace

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Some fantastic and fascinating replies. Thanks for all your contributions, I starred every single sensible reply - and taken some good notes.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Peace

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I plant citronella around my house and boat dock.
The plant works somewhat, and grabbing a few leaves to rub on your body helps.

It grows like a weed, and you could probably split it twice a season.

Drinking tonic water helps, and it's a great excuse to down a few gin and tonics, blue cheese olives included.
The tonic contains quinine, which is what soldiers in WW2 were provided in Africa.

To be honest, though, my wife works for a subsidiary of Johnson Wax, so I go to there proucts more than anything else.

Their Deepwoods Off Sportmans bottle is 98% deet, and absolutely nothing will come near you with that stuff on.
edit on 3-5-2011 by Oaktree because: needed

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
My friend swears that taking a small daily dose of zinc works as a natural repellent to the nasty biters. Personally, I rely on Skin-So-Soft or lavender oil. Both work wonders.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
just spread DE around areas where you want to repel or control pests. It works great, and is reported to build soil quality. It's a great Natural Pest Control product. Check the site out, it has a few videos that explain exactly how to apply it. Works great, good luck,
edit on 24-7-2011 by jcleek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
try this site www.allterrainco.com...
I love the stuff it has many of the oils that were recommended-
Oil of Soybean 11.5%, Oil of Citronella 10.0%, Oil of Peppermint 2.0%, Oil of Cedar 1.50%, Oil of Lemongrass 1.00%, Oil of Geranium 0.05%.

I have the kids Herbal Armor and I love it. I use it on me and them. Figured if I was not supposed to use deet while pregnant or on them as babies I should not be using it at all.

BTW Thank you for ash idea as a barrier around house! I will use it!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Here are some ways to repel those pesty insects.

*Put a clothes dryer sheet in a pocket of your pants to repell mosquitoes .
*Flies do not like mint. You can put some mint flavored Scope mouthwash in a small dish during a picnic , and/or place spearmint gum sticks on your plate settings.
*Bathe in Skin So Soft bath oil prior to going outdoors, or SSS lotion from AVON can also used as insect/mosquito repellents.
*Rub a bar of soap all on your feet/ legs to repel chiggers.

Of course bug zappers and citronella oil or candles are great.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
...peppermint soap but dont wash your genitals with it - just trust me on that one...

...old spice aftershave - the smell makes me gag now - but - not only does it prevent bug bites but it also, uh, uhm, unifies the stench of unwashed bodies...

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
glad i decided to check what deet was after almost buying some, people in the comments seemed happy with the fact that it could burn through plastic..

I got some citronella stuff now.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to [url= by mr-lizard[/url]

go to your local co-op/health food store and buy two things: a bottle of body lotion and a little bottle of citronella essential oil. Mix the two and you've got a great repellant. If you don't like the smell of citronella you can add orange oil too.
good luck! Also- obviously- keep your food and bodily wastes as far from you camp as possible.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Herbal Armor Insect Repellent Spray

Oil of Citronella....12%
Oil of Peppermint....2%
Oil of Cedar....1.5%
Oil of Lemongrass....1%
Oil of Germanium.....0.05%
Inert Ingredients....83.45%: Water, Beeswax, Soybean Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Vitamin C & E.

or SSS until it runs out

<< 1  2   >>

join