It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insect repellent, any tips?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hi - Just wondering if any of you survival guys have any decent suggestions or tips for natural insect repellents, failing that, what chemical repellents do you suggest?

I don't want anything with deet in it, nor nothing too harmful for the environment (i.e anything NOT attacking me) and i wish to choose something that would apply to a temperate environment and something that can last a week or so.

Thanks in advance.

P.S I'm aware of mosquito nets, mozzy rings, incense, charcoal burners, garlic in the diet etc, but any tips are welcome

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Burn cow dung.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Google the word 'pennyroyal'. It is a plant that has insect repelling qualities.

It probably smells better than burning cow dung, it does in my opinion anyway, and I have smelled both.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
NEEM oil. You can find it at most health stores.
It's oily and it smells funny, but it works pretty good.
Safe and natural. Lots of other uses too.

www.discoverneem.com...

Neem oil, the seemingly all-powerful substance made from the seeds of the neem tree.

link   
Garlic works, but only for a short time as well as many natural methods.

I mention garlic because I am a garlic lover and don't care if the whole camp reeks of it. Love it!:

www.straightdope.com...

Mosquitoes have almost no olfactory powers whatsoever--they have, in fact, a very selective and narrow olfactory "spectrum". But this is actually irrelevant; you see, the way a mosquito "repellent" works is NOT by being detected and driving insects away, but by blocking their ability to smell things that otherwise would attract them, so they ignore you. (In the same way, household "deodorizers" don't actually eliminate odors, but merely block your ability to smell them.)

In the case of mosquitoes, the primary attractants that have been identified are CO2 and lactic acid, though there are other factors. The best substance yet found to block mosquitoes' powers of detection is DEET, and while a few repellents are equal over a short term, nothing even comes close in terms of residual repellency; DEET's effects can last for several hours, whereas even the best alternative repellents last at most about 2 hours, maybe 3, if you're lucky and the conditions are right. Garlic is only one of a list of plant compounds with similar "repellent" effects, including citronella, cedar, verbena, geranium, lavender, pine, cinnamon, rosemary, basil, thyme, allspice, and peppermint.

edit on 1-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Plenty of options...

There's Badger Insect Balm, Foragers Cologne from my favorite Surthrival store (shhhh...), and other all natural topical things. I also have a UCO candle lantern with citronella candles, nice piece of kit.

Yet, a simple and more viable option which I'm about to try out is the ExOfficio Bugsaway Bandana: www.exofficio.com...

edit on 1-5-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Not for you're person but, to stop crawlers from entering the house we use hash from the fire,
once cold you sprinkle it around you're house perimeter, out side of course.
bugs run from what smells of fire.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I worked in the Everglades for a year,...
Avon Skin So Soft is a great alternative to deet...

You need to re-apply more often, but it is way less harmful to you...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
SKIN-SO-SOFT by Avon.

The best smelling Jarheads in the world swear by it.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Onions work as good or better than garlic. I did a youtube video on wild onions recently and I touched on that use. You can find that video on my yt channel: www.youtube.com/user/kadyr80
I believe it was in my survival foods episode 1 video.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Bounce Sheets work... you know just go and pick a bew bounce sheets off a tree.. hehe they do work great.. keep them in your belt

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
from the old school of survivalism

smoke from an open fire.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80
Onions work as good or better than garlic. I did a youtube video on wild onions recently and I touched on that use. You can find that video on my yt channel: www.youtube.com/user/kadyr80
I believe it was in my survival foods episode 1 video.

Yup, onions as well as Rosemary etc.

Damn I'm getting hungry...Pass the Bacon!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
from the old school of survivalism

smoke from an open fire.

Always works...until you step away from the smoke.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
my contribution...LAVENDER OIL...either alone or mixed with NEEM oil...TEA TREE oil also works....
I've noticed most have suggested natural oils...all of which do work. I stand by Lavender first...as it is great with
skeeters and fleas...better to not support Big Chem in furthering our demise.

Go Natural!!!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

alot of people smoke their clothing

same effect as an open fire.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by jude11

alot of people smoke their clothing

same effect as an open fire.

Yup...done that but it still does not last too long. I found that if you soak your clothes in the river first, then smoke them, it will last longer.

For the skin areas, if you want to get really serious, ashes from the fire. Ain't pretty but if in an emergency, it's all good.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

eat a lot of garlic or buy garlic pills bugs wont mess with you. If we go rafting or anything down the river i always eat a lot of garlic pills 2 weeks before till we go and Ill never get bit by a mosquito, chigger, etc

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

SKIN-SO-SOFT by Avon.

It works great while fishing and camping, I can attest to it.
Avoid colognes,perfumes,aftershaves also.
Mosquito netting(head and gloves) works also. A few of my friends have used it when archery hunting.(depending on severity)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Put a few drops of Lemon Fresh Joy (or lemon scented) dish washing liquid in a shallow plate of water. The mosquitoes will be attracted to it and then caught up in it. My mom told me about this approach.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join