It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6÷2(1+2)=?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Originally posted by ASeeker343
reply to post by Honor93

The youtube link has this same problem with different numbers. If you cant follow it and substitute the numbers from the OP's problem in for yourself you probably shouldnt be participating. Ill break it down for you tho anyway.

In the video:

48÷2(9+3)
48=a
2=b
9=c
3=d
a÷b(c+d)

now the OPs numbers...
6=a
2=b
1=c
2=d

6÷2(1+2)

Same concept, same process. Answer is 9

if that doesnt clear it up for ya then i dont know what to tell ya

Edit: and if you are referring to the other link, that was just to illustrate that multiplication and division are performed left to right at the same time... before any addition and subtraction
edit on 2-5-2011 by ASeeker343 because: clarification

holy cow you jump right into "i shouldn't be participating" ???
really? what youtube video? i didn't view any video ... i was responding to the nonsense spewing here.

i guess i may go looking for the video just so i can respond to whatever nonsense this is ... care to share which page i might find it?

as for the other link, i was referring to it because the rule changes when parenthesis appear ... left to right goes out the window as well as sequencing based on the location of the parenthesis ... basic algebra.
EX: if the only parenthesis indicate an addition problem, you will perform it before any other.
If the parenthesis indicate the multiplication of a root ... first, you must find the root, not do the multiplication.

yes, the problem is poorly written, however, As it is written, the answer is only "1".

My apologies, I was a little ticked at the 8th grade math teacher... thus my edit. No intent to offend.

Edit: I also challenge you to find me a link that states that the parentheses throw the left to right out the window. a(b) = a*b... im not seeing the difference here
edit on 2-5-2011 by ASeeker343 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Are you telling me that 6/2(3) is different than 6/2*3? If so i would disagree

ummmm, where did this come from and no i didn't say such a thing, besides ... your 6/2*3 uses symbols before my time. it isn't an equation we would have seen back then. however, if you think 6/2*3 is the same as 6 divided by 2(2+1), you are sadly mistaken.

link   
All this talk about PEMDAS and only a few talk about the distributive law? The only way you can get 9 is if you ignore the distributive law! You always distribute before doing any other operation.

6/2(1+2)

2(1+2)= (2+4)=6

then you are left with

6/6=1

link   
Maple, a first class computer algebra system, produces 9 as the answer. This agrees with Mathematica and Matlab.

Which, as a student of Mathematics, I agree with.

6/2(1+2) does NOT imply 6 over the quantity of (2(1+2)).

2(1+2) does NOT imply a distribution. One would combine like terms within the parentheses before distribution.

Division is NOT prioritized over multiplication unless it comes first in a logical, mathematical flow from left to right.
edit on 2-5-2011 by A.M.L. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

(6 ÷ 2) * (1 + 2) = 9

(6 ÷ (2 * (1 + 2)) = 1
edit on 2-5-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: forgot a parentisis

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Ugh... I'm gonna stay with my nine and the two sources I provided, whether you accept them or not, and leave. I'll check this thread tomorrow to see how many pages it has. lol See ya guys

edit - Seems like most of us are on the same page now and the naysayers of the nine have lost all hope.
Offtopic-Anyone up for a game of blackops on pc? my tag is cryptickitten.
edit on 2-5-2011 by JackyMenace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

ummmm, where did this come from and no i didn't say such a thing, besides ... your 6/2*3 uses symbols before my time. it isn't an equation we would have seen back then. however, if you think 6/2*3 is the same as 6 divided by 2(2+1), you are sadly mistaken.

we agree on the stuff inside the parentheses: (2+1) = 3

good start

6÷2(1+2)

6÷2(3)

What I am saying is that the 2(3) does not put the multiplication before the division. 6÷2(3) = 6÷2x3.

Left to right. Parentheses state the argument inside them must be performed first, not anything adjacent as well. If you can provide me with solid proof otherwise ill eat crow but otherwise, 6÷2x3 = 9 Left to right.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
6/2 = 6*(1/2)

6*(1/2)*(1+2)

Following the order of operations...

6*(1/2)*(3)

(6/2)*(3)

3*3 = 9.

I thought this nonsense could only stump people on Facebook and the like. Disgusting.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well Said.

The problem here is that everyone is incorrectly interpreting it as a fraction with everything else below the 6.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ASeeker343

don't need a link ... the problem speaks for itself
let's try this instead ... 6 / 2(2+1)
= 6 / (2+1)+(2+1)
= 6 / (3)+(3)
= 6 / (6)
= 1

better? you must define the equation before solving it, period.
parenthesis give direction, always. As for left to right, the division of the left is performed last.
as for sequencing via PEMDAS ... that is why the P is always first.

No offense taken and none intended but i learned math long before computers or calculators existed.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

= 6 / (2+1)+(2+1)
= 6 / (3)+(3)
= 6 / (6)
= 1

parenthesis give direction, always. As for left to right, the division of the left is performed last.

No offense taken and none intended but i learned math long before computers or calculators existed.

Thats bad math...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
2*(2+1) does NOT equal (2+1)+(2+1).

Parentheses comes first.

So, we combine like terms and get 2+1 = 3.

We then have 6 / 2 * (3).

Following left to right...

(6/2) * (3)

3*3 = 9.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by A.M.L.
6/2 = 6*(1/2)

6*(1/2)*(1+2)

Following the order of operations...

6*(1/2)*(3)

(6/2)*(3)

3*3 = 9.

I thought this nonsense could only stump people on Facebook and the like. Disgusting.

Tried sleeping, but it was bugging me too bad... was gonna come back and post almost exactly that.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

= 6 / (2+1)+(2+1)
= 6 / (3)+(3)
= 6 / (6)
= 1

Only what is inside the parenthesis has highest priority here. You are also showing that you believe multiplication has more weight than division using this method. Seriously though. I'm getting off here now. For real yo

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JackyMenace

no one on here is one of my students.. I'm a nice teacher.... but I assume most on here are adults and as such should be spoken to as adults... which means who should be able to handle being called an idiot.

I still stand by my answer as being 1...

and to the gentleman who re-wrote it as 6 over the rest of the expression... thanks!

I got so mad when I saw this I couldn't think straight and should have added that to my argument... those expressions are in fact the same.

Now who can answer this question.. is a piano a string instrument or a percussion instrument?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

we agree on the stuff inside the parentheses: (2+1) = 3

good start

6÷2(1+2)

6÷2(3)

What I am saying is that the 2(3) does not put the multiplication before the division. 6÷2(3) = 6÷2x3.

Left to right. Parentheses state the argument inside them must be performed first, not anything adjacent as well. If you can provide me with solid proof otherwise ill eat crow but otherwise, 6÷2x3 = 9 Left to right.

www.youtube.com...

when you are dealing with a single integer, you are correct but this integer is multiplying a collective inside the parenthesis. the equation 2(2+1) is a stand alone equation, or at least it always has been ... with the progressivisms of today, i can no longer be sure. Never have i seen this: 2*(2+1), as you are implying.

however, 2(2+1) has always been defined or as another stated "distributed" as (2+1)+(2+1), which = 6.
not arguing mind you and i know better than to argue with a machine ... just try to remember, humans program them there 'machines'. and who said the programmers were up to date when these programs y'all are using were written?
For the record, I graduated (with math honors) long before any of these machines were even conceived.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
2(2+1) is NOT an equation.

It is an expression.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

bad math? did the rule of distribution disappear or something?
algebra was an awfully strong subject of mine and i don't think it's changed that much over the years.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by A.M.L.
2(2+1) is NOT an equation.

It is an expression.
ok, so my english is off but my math is not.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

bad math? did the rule of distribution disappear or something?
algebra was an awfully strong subject of mine and i don't think it's changed that much over the years.

THANK YOU. You can't just solve this expression left to right. The parenthetical portion is not resolved until you distribute. Then you solve.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join