It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6÷2(1+2)=?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Originally posted by darius2025
Especially those still arguing 1 when there have been so many 'proofs' linked.

The rules for these types of equations are specific. Those rules are entered into calculators such as has already been shown:

www.wolframalpha.com...

Google

I don't know if the OP is just playing around or not, but those calculators have been programmed with the only rules in math that exist. To say anything different is making up ones own rules, or proving ones education to be sub-par.

Buy a Casio scientific calculator, put in 6÷2(1+2) and the answer will be 1

Here

Type in the equation and see your answer.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by darius2025
Especially those still arguing 1 when there have been so many 'proofs' linked.

The rules for these types of equations are specific. Those rules are entered into calculators such as has already been shown:

www.wolframalpha.com...

Google

I don't know if the OP is just playing around or not, but those calculators have been programmed with the only rules in math that exist. To say anything different is making up ones own rules, or proving ones education to be sub-par.

Perhaps mail Casio? Tell them you found a bug? They might thank you.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Answer is 9.

Got an 'A' in basic alegbra, but here's the funny part: With two classes left we went into using no numbers and all variables. I had NO idea. If the course had been just two weeks longer I probably would've failed.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
-------
2(1+2)

Another way it could be written.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Guys/Girls, dont put too much faith in your online calculators, they arent that intelligent, the answer is not solely 9

Hence the word "solely"
edit on 1-5-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I don't need to. Windows has its own scientific calculator built in. Your calculator is either broke, or you're typing it in wrong.

The following images are from Windows scientific calculator. The first image is typing in the equation, the second image on the bottom is what the answer is after hitting the "=":

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2afb04a98d3.jpg[/atsimg]

Can we put this to rest yet? All calculators still say 9.

edit on 1-5-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
to make it simple

6 . .(1+2) . . 6 . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
--- x ------- = --- x --- = (cross multiply) = --- = 1
2 . . . .1 . . . 2 . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6

Internet Calculators dont have brains, and the brain is the most powerful ever, more powerful than any computer or calculator.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Internet Calculators dont have brains

No, they're just programmed with the only math rules that exist. And thus, the internet calculators and my Windows calculator are still showing 9. That's 3 different calculators all programmed with the same math rule.

the brain is the most powerful ever, more powerful than any computer or calculator.

Well, you continue to allow your brain to give you the false answers. It's been proven more than adequately that the answer is 9.

I've got better things to do than to argue over something that there is only one mathematics rule for. So, I'm out of this thread. As was already stated, it's scarey to see all of the different answers to one simple math equation with a simple math rule.

edit on 1-5-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

No, they're just programmed with the only math rules that exist. And thus, the internet calculators and my Windows calculator are still showing 9. That's 3 different calculators all programmed with the same math rule.

the brain is the most powerful ever, more powerful than any computer or calculator.

Well, you continue to allow your brain to give you the false answers. It's been proven more than adequately that the answer is 9.

I've got better things to do than to argue over something that there is only one mathematics rule for.

I dont consider this an argument, but the answer is not 9, please just listen, i really do appreciate this thread. mathematical notations and program operator notations are calculated differently thats why all your internet calculators are comming up with 9, which is wrong.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I've got better things to do than to argue over something that there is only one mathematics rule for.

I dont consider this an argument, but the answer is not 9, please just listen, i really do appreciate this thread. mathematical notations and program operator notations are calculated differently thats why all your internet calculators are comming up with 9, which is wrong.

My friend, you are clearly trolling. Otherwise, you either had a terrible math teacher, or you just don't know your math.

Good day.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by prolific

My friend, you are clearly trolling. Otherwise, you either had a terrible math teacher, or you just don't know your math.

Good day.

I'm not trolling, but the anwer is not 9, just because google says its right doesnt mean it is.....

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Holy Moley!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

mathematical notations and program operator notations are calculated differently thats why all your internet calculators are comming up with 9, which is wrong.

You're not providing any sort of evidence to support your claim. If you're going to claim every calculator is wrong, then you have to provide evidence.

Two internet calculators, plus Windows Scientific calculator, plus my college-level algebra shows that you are wrong. And I'll stick to my education and all programmed calculators any day of the week before I entertain your baseless claim. Cya!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

mathematical notations and program operator notations are calculated differently thats why all your internet calculators are comming up with 9, which is wrong.

You're not providing any sort of evidence to support your claim. If you're going to claim every calculator is wrong, then you have to provide evidence.

Two internet calculators, plus Windows Scientific calculator, plus my college-level algebra shows that you are wrong. And I'll stick to my education and all programmed calculators any day of the week before I entertain your baseless claim. Cya!

I'm using education and scientific *physical* calculators which were made to calculate mathematical notations, you should also read this page en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

You wouldn't need Google if you knew that 2(3) is not distribution but its actually multiplication.

Heres an example:

edit on 1-5-2011 by prolific because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Simple it's 1 just like one poster said Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally a little ditty to help you remember the order of operations.

So first you add whats in Parenthesis (2+1) which equals 3 so then you have 6/2(3) according to the order of operations multiplication comes before division so I would say 2(3) equals 6. Then all you are left with is 6/6 which equals 1.

So I would say for sure it's one unless I missed something.

I took Calculus in High School but it's been awhile since I actually had to do math lol
edit on 1-5-2011 by lifeoflyman because: add more info

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Itop1

You wouldn't need Google if you knew that 2(3) is not distribution but its actually multiplication.

Heres an example:

To get 9 you would have to put in parentheses. the fraction bar indicates that the numerator and denominator should treated as single values.In the equation 6÷2(1+2), 6 would be the numerator and 2(1+2) would be the denominator
6÷2(1+2) =6/2(3) =6/6 =1

(6/2)(1+2) = (3)(3) =9

If im wrong then please explain why im wrong?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Itop1

Heres an example:

To get 9 you would have to put in parentheses. the fraction bar indicates that the numerator and denominator should treated as single values.In the equation 6÷2(1+2), 6 would be the numerator and 2(1+2) would be the denominator
6÷2(1+2) =6/2(3) =6/6 =1

(6/2)(1+2) = (3)(3) =9

If im wrong then please explain why im wrong?

What you did here is invalid ; 6÷2(1+2) =6/2(3) =6/6 =1
it's still 6÷2(3) or otherwise know as 6÷2x3 = 9.
The only way to get one is if you do multiplication first which is an invalid move.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

(6/2)(1+2) = (3)(3) =9

What we're trying to say is:

6÷2(1+2)=

is the same as:

(6÷2)(1+2)=

The only thing that is missing is the parenthesis. Both equations above are the same and will still return the answer of 9. This is my final answer.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

it's still 6÷2(3) or otherwise know as 6÷2x3 = 9.
The only way to get one is if you do multiplication first which is an invalid move.

Because you work from left to right, just as you read from left to right.

Thus 6÷2(1+2)= 6÷2(3)= 3(3)= 9

It really doesn't get more simple than that. Well, besides:

6÷2(1+2)=

is the same as:

(6÷2)(1+2)=

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join