It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6÷2(1+2)=?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I learned the order of operations to be PEMDAS:
Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

So going by this, the equation would be
6/2*(1+2)
6/2*3
6/6

Although I guess that it all sums up to the way you learned it yourself, whether Multiplication or Division goes first. Interesting question.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by insanedr4gon

WRONG!!

Neither multiplication nor division takes precedence over one another!!

LEFT TO RIGHT!!

The rule states the order of operations is done with powers first, multiplication and division next followed by addition and subtraction - left to right!

the answer is still 9....

Never give up. Never give in.

bwaaaahaaaahaaaa!!!
edit on 5-6-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think we all know that the correct answer is actually the number 2... Yes, 2.

Well, it's the answer for me at least considering I just ate a huge heaping pile of enchiladas. Now if you all will excuse me............

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This actually got 25 pages, do people even study at school? oh wait...

Brackets/Parentheses

Exponents/Powers

Division/Multiplication(Left to Right)

Addition

Subtraction

lol...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I entered it into Darkbasic Pro as: 6/2*(1+2) and got 9

6/2=3

then 3 times (1+2)=9

edit on 5-6-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Ah, the famous ÷ operator and 2 function.

As we all know p ÷ q is a binary operator which is equal to the log of q base p, and the function 2(x) is simply the factorial of x. Therefore

6 ÷ 2(1 + 2) = 6 ÷ 2(3) = 6 ÷ 6 = log_6(6) = 1.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tadeusz
Ah, the famous ÷ operator and 2 function.

As we all know p ÷ q is a binary operator which is equal to the log of q base p, and the function 2(x) is simply the factorial of x. Therefore

6 ÷ 2(1 + 2) = 6 ÷ 2(3) = 6 ÷ 6 = log_6(6) = 1.

BULL HOCKEY!!

Learn the rules of math and get the same answer as everyone else that knows the order of operations.

Or just make up your own crap and be wrong!!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
Once and for all i want to know the real answe to this equation...

is it 1 or 9?

Hope somebody here knows their maths

...although ( ← this and the al2*) is missing (out...as a double talk its removed...) so....it is 1
.. not 9 ...why?
Translingual ( ← Basic Latin → *  Punctuation mark
(
1.Begins supplemental information *
)
-.Ends supplemental information
that's why when * a star is also edited out as logical understanding
its the multiplication you first should do
so... in order 2 see.. see the stars.. see the world in a grain of sand
do so as I say and be

6 ÷ (2 * (1 + 2)) = 1
si?

edit on 14-6-2012 by nii900 because: ,,,edited out

edit on 14-6-2012 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Explanation: THE anwer is 1 and here is why ...

Quotes taken from this similar thread ... 6/2(1+2)=9 if you think other wise your wrong (thread by darkpassenger23 posted on 7-5-2011 @ 10:49 PM , replies by OmegaLogos on pg2 ) [ATS]

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
Explanation: Use Algebra...

6/2(1+2)=?

We all agree that we do BRACKETS 1st ok... [I was taught bodmas]

6/2(3)=?

Now lets go algebra on this and say that a=3

Rewritten ...

6/2(a) =?

Remove the brackets ....

6/2a=?

If a = 3 the answer MUST be 1

Because must resolve 2a 1st...

6/(2a) =?

6/(6) =?

6/6 =1

Personal Disclosure: My Dad was a statistician... for him 1 + 1 = 3 ...for large values of 1

SaberTruth's post on page 1 explains that in simplified technical terms!

Because as long as there are still brackets you must resolve them 1st regardless. Ask any maths teacher!

edit on 24-5-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix name.

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Originally posted by DaMod
Oi....

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

or

Parentheses, Exponent, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction....... That is the order in which you do equations....

6/2(1+2)=9

In kiddie terms...

1+2 = 3

so it's 6/2(3) or Six Secondths times Three

Explantion: Here is where you stopped using PEDMAS... there are still brackets/parentheses and yet your post goes on to start division!
WTFH???
The (3) is still unresolved!

Personal Disclosure: If you don't follow the exact protocol all the time its not maths its fanatsy!

The rest of this is FANTASY according to the standard being used!

6/2 = 3... Yes because 6/2 is 6 divided by two......

so it's

3(3)=9

3 times 3 equals 9

I cannot beleive such a simple equation needed an entire thread to itself... Can we try a harder one now?
edit on 24-5-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

:shk:

Personal Disclosure: Bracket creep has caught up with you MegaMind!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

26 pages for stupid peoples math...lol

S for you

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

the answer is 9, PEMDAS tells you that parentheses go first. So 6/2(1+2)=
1+2=3 then 6/2=3
3(3)=9

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I believe i responded once already in this thread but how i learned the brackets where as follows... what ever is outside is multiplied in the what ever the sign inside is applied like this

6/2 *1 = 6/2
6/2 * 2 = 12/2

12/2 + 6/2 = 18/2
18/2 = 9

I think this is because if you write out this actual equation it say 6/2(1/1 +2/1)=y because they are whole numbers you might as well type 3(1+2)=3+6=9

Had the equation used x instead 1 and already told us the y=9 (which is what we propose as the answer) then

6/2(1/x+2/x)=9
6*1/2*x + 6*2/2*x = 9
6/2x + 12/2x = 9 (since they are fraction of the same i.e 2x you can just add together the whole numbers ) 18/2x=9 (this is the same as 18/2 * 1/x which makes)
9/x=9 and finally to get to x we divide both sides with 9 i.e
9/X = 9 i.e x=1 which proves the above

Had we done this with 1 the result would have been 9/x=1 (we already knew x=1 from the original equation) so this would not add upp as we would be trying to say that x=1/9 or in this case where we knew x that 9=1 which it clearly is not.
i think but I was never any good at math... as all my edits will testify too

edit on 2/7/2012 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by stolski21
reply to post by iamhobo

the answer is 9, PEMDAS tells you that parentheses go first. So 6/2(1+2)=
1+2=3 then 6/2=3
3(3)=9

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Never give up, never give in!
edit on 4-9-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
We sure do have a winner...

Hi all. I researched this topic well for about 2 weeks now and have come to the following conclusions. I will summarize what I have said in other forums with respect to the notations, then I will address other points.

First,
if you want to say 0.5x, then you HAVE to write (1/2)x with parentheses or, x "all over 2" with a horiztonal fraction bar, or write x/2. I have never seen (1/2)x before I researched this equation, but since searching online, I HAVE seen fractional coefficients written this way, only because computers are limited to the horizontal typing space. Therefore:

x/2 = (1/2)x = 0.5x
1/2n = 1/(2n) This sort of notation is used especially with pi, ln, or e. We have never had to say 1/(2pi). It was simply 1/2pi, or 1/2e^2.

I have always used ab/cd to mean (ab)/(cd) and I topped almost all of my calculus classes since high school through university.(moot point, I know)

Just to re-iterate, to use 6/2 as a fraction, parentheses are REQUIRED. Every book will tell you this.

Now consider the Identity Law:
a = 1a = 1(a)
We know there is ALWAYS an 'invisible' 1 as a ceofficient of a variable if no other number is there. Therefore:
a/a = 1, and if a is also 1a, then a/1a = 1. Blindly using 'pemdas', some folks would do this:
a/1a = a/1*a = a*a = a^2. I hope this drives home the silliness of this calculation.

Now, on to my second point:
consider: factoring, simplifying equations, and the distributive property.
Lets start with the number 6.
6 = (4+2). There is a common factor here: 2. So let's factor it out of both terms.
(4+2) = 2(2+1). The outside 2 remains a part of of the 2 inner terms at all times. It cannot be used in an operation by itself without the rest of (4+2).
The reverse of factoring is distribution, so, 2(2+1) = 6. This has to be true always. The argument I have seen to this is that (6/2) can be distributed.
This is true ONLY is 6/2 is in parentheses, otherwise, the 6 and 2 are separated by a division slash, and the 2 is a factor of 2+1.

So, let's prove the initial equation:
6 ÷ 6 = 1
6 ÷ (4+2) = 1
6 ÷ 2(2+1) = 1

the same can be done for other factors:
6 ÷ 6 = 1
6 ÷ (3+3) = 1
6 ÷ 3(1+1) = 1

Distribution is actually a part of "Simplifying Equations" and is not bound to the order of operations as "multiplication", since it is in fact "removing parentheses by distributing". This can be googled and several references found.
Simplifying 2(2+1) + 3(2+1) = 5(2+1). We "combined like terms" here, by adding, and did not perform the "parntheses" part of order of operations, nor did we multiply, which is also higher priority than adding, because we only simplified.

Lastly, I hear the argument that "This is strictly numbers and you don't use algebra rules since there are no variables". That is the most asinine arguement I have heard yet. All axioms, laws, and properties use variables, meaning that they hold true for "any number", hence the proofs with variables.

I welcome thoughts on this, in an intellectually formed response. I am tired of the 'flaming' that goes on by imbciles on some other forums with rebuttals like "it is 9. go back to grade 3 you moron", or "google says it is 9", when google changes the equation to (6/2)*(2+1), and wolfram contradicts itself with 2n/2n = 1, and 6/2n = 3/n, but then says 6/2(2+1) is 9. wolframs "terms" state that any answer should be verified with common sense and accuracy should also be verified.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Think about it though if it was written as it should be when you say it.

: 6
: _________=1
: 2(1+2)

or is it

_*(1+2)=9

This is why in math a division sign should never be used and doesn't actually exist. it is just a ratio and should always be represented as such. Multiplication and addition exist, subtraction and division do not. Division is simply multiplying by the reciprocal ex: 2/(1/3)=2*3=6. Subtraction is simply adding a negative number ex: 3-2=1=3+(-2)=1. In other words there is actually not enough information here to say that it is either 1 or 9 so at the moment it is both until it is represented in a manner that can describe the actual terms in the equation. So people stop being pompous and unless someone got something other than a 9 or a 1, you are not wrong.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Most simply ...

if the rules of math are strictly followed (the order of operations) the answer is 9.

If you do not follow the order of operations you will get 1 and you will be wrong.

GO MEGA!!

SH
edit on 5/21/13 by SherlockH because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

Please -- Parenthesis
Excuse -- Exponents
My ------- Multiplication
Dear ----- Division
Aunt ----- Addition
Sally ----- Subtraction

Exactly, the answer is 1.

The easier way to see it is to use the more accepted division bar versus the division sign

___

2(1+2)

or 6 / 2(1+2)

Even using BEDMAS vs. PEMDAS, since Parentheses mean the same as Brackets, you still get 1. Because the calculation with the number outside the parentheses trumps the division.

Moreso, I'll prove it here, using a similar example.

This next example displays an issue that almost never arises but, when it does, there seems to be no end to the arguing.

Simplify 16 ÷ 2[8 – 3(4 – 2)] + 1.

16 ÷ 2[8 – 3(4 – 2)] + 1
= 16 ÷ 2[8 – 3(2)] + 1
= 16 ÷ 2[8 – 6] + 1
= 16 ÷ 2[2] + 1 (**)
= 16 ÷ 4 + 1
= 4 + 1
= 5

The confusing part in the above calculation is how "16 divided by 2[2] + 1" (in the line marked with the double-star) becomes "16 divided by 4 + 1", instead of "8 times by 2 + 1". That's because, even though multiplication and division are at the same level (so the left-to-right rule should apply), parentheses outrank division, so the first 2 goes with the [2], rather than with the "16 divided by". That is, multiplication that is indicated by placement against parentheses (or brackets, etc) is "stronger" than "regular" multiplication. Typesetting the entire problem in a graphing calculator verifies this hierarchy:

www.purplemath.com...

It is 1

End of nerd-off....

edit on 21-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This explains it

If somebody writes a questions as
6 / 2 ( 1 + 2 ) =
then the answer is 9

BUT this may not be what the person meant!

IF they meant to introduce a fraction
so that everything after /
was on the bottom of the fraction
THEN we need to group together all of the question after the /

6 / [ 2 ( 1 + 2 ) ] =

Which does mean
6 2 ( 1 + 2 ) =

Again we understand that 2 ( 1 + 2 ) means 2 × ( 1 + 2 )
so let us introduce the multiplication symbol for clarity
6 2 × ( 1 + 2 ) =

The round brackets ( ) are grouping symbols
which indicate that
what is inside the grouping symbols should be treated as a whole
6 2 × ( 3 ) =

6 2 × 3 =

Do the multiplication on the bottom of the fraction
66 =

And then we do get the answer

www.maths.com...

ok it's not showing the real way it looks in the link because it's showing the fraction and when I cut and paste it breaks apart the fraction so just click the link

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

X is 9

You messed up on your order of operations.

You do you parenthesis, and then you do left to right multi/div as you already completed the problem that was in the parenthesis thats what it mean when they use P to do whats in the parenthesis first, the 2 is not part of the parenthesis.

lets just say 6/2 x 3/1 = 18/2 = 9.

You get 1 if you do the order of operations backwards.

Here this will equal 1;

6/(2(1+2)) = 1
edit on 21-5-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I gave you a quote and link to a math site even, that proves otherwise...

Where is your cited support for the contrary?

Because the number is against the parenthesis, this trumps the stand-alone division and multiplication and is perfectly within the order of operations of the problem.

The real proof is to simply put it into a graphing calculator (that can account for the correct notation) and you will get the correct answer of 1. A regular calculator does not have the programming logic to account for the notation.

Even this link is incorrect:

www.maths.com...

Because they are ignoring the hierarchy of doing the number next to the parentheses calculation first. It's called implied multiplication by juxtaposition, which is to be carried out before division.

Of course, you could remove the ambiguity, by simply writing the problem correctly in the first place, with the appropriate parentheses or brackets.....

Here's probably the best article on it, as it basically states that due to the problem being written ambiguously, you get ambiguous answers....

www.slate.com...

So, the REAL bottom line is that because of the way it is written, there is no ONE real definitive answer for it (as it is written), as implied multiplication by juxtaposition is no longer considered a definitive standard (as it isn't needed if the problem is written with modern notation methods). So, the problem is ambiguous, and so is the answer.
edit on 21-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join