It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naga Fireballs of Mekong: A genuine and regularly appearing mystery already observed by thousands!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This post is intended to be read with creepy music background provided
:

Naga fireballs of Mekong

Weird things are happening some 70 - 100 kilometres downstream from the Vientiane - capital of Laos. In the nights from the muddy waters of Mekong river appear red glowing balls which quickly rise up in the air and disappear without noise (some, who manage to be close to the lights, report silent hiss). These mysterious sparkles are small, but sometimes they reach a size of an basketball.

These are not some ghosts seen by occasional people and questioned by majority. Ghost fireballs of Mekong have been seen by thousands of people, photographed and captioned on movies and, after all, investigated by scientists looking for the explanation of this interesting phenomenon.

Fireballs are observed in some 250 kilometres long sector of Mekong: approximately from Ban Muang upstreams from Vientiane down to Bung Kan. Most of them rise from the 500 - 800 m wide Mekong River, but they have been observed rising from smaller ponds and rivers as well. These places might sound exotic and remote to Europeans but they are densely populated, filled with houses, roads, schools and other usual features of civilisation.

Since ancient times numerous people have been living along Mekong. According to some reports, as recently as in 1980ies these balls of light attracted little attention of local people (3). It may be though possible that there are some ancient myths related to this event which later have been nearly forgotten by local people and then somehow revived.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d385849445e.jpg[/atsimg]

Naga Fireballs Wikipedia Article

The Naga fireballs (Thai: บั้งไฟพญานาค, bangfai payanak) are a phenomenon seen in the Mekong river — in Thailand (Nong Khai province in Isan) and in Laos (Vientiane Province) — in which glowing balls rise from the water high into the air. The balls are reddish and have diverse size from smaller sparkles up to the size of basketballs;[1] they quickly rise up to a couple of hundred meters before disappearing. The number of fireballs is variable, being reported at between tens and thousands per night.[2]

Explicit and well agreed explanation of the origin of Naga fireballs has not been provided. Besides the mythical explanation there are attempts of limited success to explain this phenomenon as a natural process, involving spontaneous ignition of gases rising up from the river.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6dc4b422b69e.jpg[/atsimg]

What do you think could cause such a regularly appearing, yet to date unexplained phenomenon? Burning gases? Ball lightning? Or something far more spooky? Why do they appear only around the Mekong river? This is a very intriguing, and proven to exist mystery..

edit on 1/5/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
My guess would be mermaid independence day and they are shooting off fireworks

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rexamus

Numerous local people claim that they have seen the lights for all their life and their parents and grandparents did it as well.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

No idea, but I think its somehing that could be investigated more

We need people out in that field with cameras... where are all the close up footage ? or do the fireballs get shy if one get to close ?

one could just place alot of stationary camera´s at night.. and go collect the data next day
edit on 1-5-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Yeah, the videos are pretty dull compared to the photos.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Yeah, the videos are pretty dull compared to the photos.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Nice find. I hope to visit this place one day.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
sooooooo no one has thought to watch with nightvision capable cameras?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I was going to do a thread on this, I know what they are.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I dont find you funny... Try and take another persons thread more seriously, its okay to make a joke.. but then atleast post a serious sidenote

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
reply to post by -W1LL

I dont find you funny... Try and take another persons thread more seriously, its okay to make a joke.. but then atleast post a serious sidenote

why is a joke okay with a sidenote and not by itelf?

no matter. I was not joking I am serious .... It could be the sea life evolving into some unknown form of energy to leave escape earths impeding natural rinse cycle of disasters.

top topics

join