It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Dropping Concrete Bombs In Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I wasn't sure to post this here or in Weaponry. I went with here as "collateral damage" has caused a great number or deaths of innocents and caused a huge amount of ill will in the Middle East - and understandably and justifiably so.

France has come with a low tech but very effective way of attempting to ensure that only the intended target is the one that takes damage - concrete bombs.

France Dropping Concrete Bombs In Libya

It was originally reported this was being done due to lack of regular bombs - but it is not the case. It is being done to try to ensure the only damage is to the target.

Concrete bombs have been around for decades (the ones pictured above are from World War II) and are usually used for training. However, a 600-pound piece of concrete dropped from thousands of feet in the air can be pretty darn effective when it hits a relatively small, soft target. Keep in mind that the bombs, while concrete, are still guided by modern technology like GPS or lasers onto their targets since a near miss with a concrete bomb won’t get you much.

As mentioned these bombs are "smart" in that they have the latest guidance systems - but have no explosive.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So that's what they mean by a "kinetic event".

Would these weapons be against international laws? Due to them not being "targeted" like carpet bombing?

edit on 1-5-2011 by moogins because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I guess at least only the "target" is getting it. It make me really sad when I hear that hundred of civilians ge injured/killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by moogins

They are targeted. It is basically a 600 lbs chuck of concrete with the latest GPS / laser / etc guidance. Its the force of the chunk of concrete dropped from say 30,000 feet that does the damage - no explosive to kill anyone nearby.

Think if them as a "smart bomb" that only relies on the force of impact for damage.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Wow, this is the first time I've actually heard of someone in NATO advocating restraint, or at least a way to kill less civilians genuinely. Usually the U.S. and its allies either love killing civilians or don't care who they kill as long as they kill something.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

Actually from the article the US has used them before..

This wouldn’t be the first time such weapons have been used in modern air warfare. The U.S. used laser-guided concrete bombs against Iraqi targets in the late 1990s for the same reason France says it’s using them.

That being said - if any country feels they have to bomb I think things like this should be used 1st instead of last. The US should be using more instead of less of these IMO.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Oh, that's nice.
I was just being cynical...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by moogins
So that's what they mean by a "kinetic event".

The strength of the impact on the target based solely on weight and speed of the projectile minus explosives.

Would these weapons be against international laws?

No, If anything it's a bit more civil and humane. If done right the bomb will demolish only what it's hitting reducing the possibility of collateral damage. Again no explosives.

Due to them not being "targeted" like carpet bombing?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/433ef1214957.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 1-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Explains why we had to bail their a$$es out of two world wars.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Odd...something actually decent and humane going on? S+F I like it.....

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by moogins

They mean this:

The reason why the bombs are useful are: When a 600 pound object, travelling at terminal velocity hits the ground, and stop INSTANTLY, where does all that force goe? its transferredinto kinetic energy and is destructive ( thisi s just a summary I forget the scientific facts about kinetic energy )

top topics

join