It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concern along the New Madrid Fault due to flooding

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Concern along the New Madrid Fault due to flooding

www.mvm.usace.army.mil

MG Walsh has directed Col. Reichling and field crews to be prepared to move to next step in BPNM operational plan at 3 pm today. That step will reposition barges at Birds Point. Gen. Walsh will review situation continuously as conditions change. If he directs the plan to move forward, the next steps after repositioning the barges would be: 1. Fill wells with blasting agent; 2. Prime system; 3. Activate the Floodway.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.facebook.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I am following the current situation of flooding along the Mississippi river, specifically in Southeast MO and Northwest TN. The US Army Corp of Engineers is currently setting the stage to blow the levee at Birds Point, close to New Madrid, in order to elevate the flooding elsewhere. What concerns me is the fact that many are asking the fact that this could trigger an earthquake along the fault, yet no one is answering their concerns.

These questions are being asked on their Facebook page - www.facebook.com...

www.mvm.usace.army.mil
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That was my first thought... would it trigger an earthquake? But I'm thinking if the pressure buildup is so great to where a blast like the would trigger EQ, then we're already screwed. And EQ without as much flooding would be better than EQ and major flooding together.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
if the blast ddoesnt trigger an eq the sudden release of pressure could trigger one as well!!i wish they would let mother nature run its course.nothing good ever comes from messing with mother nature.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Anybody ever wonder why the Army is in charge of all the inland waterways in the USA? The Corps of Engineers is involved in just about everything to do with surface water from river navigation and flood plain control to wetlands and wildlife conservation. Sorry for the off topic post - just realized the pervasive military presence throughout the nation.

ganjoa

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The blast will be a surface blast to open the levee. This will not be an underground blast so it WILL NOT affect the New Madrid faultline. Please stop the unnecessary fear-mongering!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I live in cincinnati
I dont want there to be an earthquake any time soon.
D: all of this is stressing me out

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

Originally posted by NerdGoddess
all of this is stressing me out

I know it's stressful, but you have to be calm...
I highly doubt that this flood will cause the New Madrid Fault to go active...
I live in Kentucky and i've spent many a hour this year expecting it to go...

but it hasnt yet... not saying it wont... at sometime or another...

but you can't let it get to you...

Do the best you can, prepare, plan and most important be calm...
cos if it does in fact turn into an EQ... then you will need to remain calm in order to ensure,
your safety and the safety of your loved ones... someone needs to have a "clear-head" and be able to make decisions... being stressed makes being a leader quite difficult...

My prayers and wishes and blessings are with you and everyone else!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
alot of articles i have read about the new madrid fault say that it is shutting down.

but then again how many times have scientists always get everything right.

that said im a hoosier thats indiana for people who dont know and in my 40 years i have experience 2 minor quakes from the new madrid and no im not saying theres no danger,

but like the poster said when they blow up the levee the surface blast will not trigger an earthquake of course that is dependent upon the amount of explosive charges and the way those charges are shaped.

blasting is an art unto itself and it is simply amazing how they can shape the explosive force upward and outward and leave most things untouched.

edit on 1-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

I grew up in Kentucky in an area where the New Madrid is a concern. In the late 1980"s there was a hype about a predicted quake was about to happen. There was a video made about preparing your home, storing up water and food. They made examinations of govt. offices and in fact built new ones in a somewhat different areas. My nerves couldn't take the stress so I move completely out of the state. Since that time there have been much talk and many severe floods. As of yet nothing has happened. I am not able to tell you the future but I doubt if any of this is going to cause a quake. You don't need a quake fear and stress can kill you. Would I move again? Yes. Am I suggesting any one else to do that? Not really. However an individual needs to get their head wrapped around a given situation and come to terms with how they are going to deal with it. Once an intelligient decision is made that in its self will give a certain amount of peace of mind. You know you have done what you can do and accept the outcome.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iycunet

They were to open the flood gates but this is a video about it the other day but I haven't heard if they have done that as yet. I sure hope so. The flooding in the area of Conway and Violla is really getting higher.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Here is a good link to keep an eye on what's happening.

Has videos, breaking news and a Flood Stage chart

www.semissourian.com...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsoobvious
!i wish they would let mother nature run its course.nothing good ever comes from messing with mother nature.

the levee preventing flooding is what is messing with nature removing the levee and allowing the river to flood would be a step towards a more natural condition for the river

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by iycunet

I don't know how to do a screen shot, but this map of flooding by NOAA and National Weather Service scares the hell out of me. Most of Arkansas could be underwater by the end of the week.

www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

I posted this in another thread about the flood... but with that map... i think its right on

Reading about this flood
and knowing what the possible outcome might look/be like...
and seeing That Map!
that coolottie provided for us...

kinda reminds me of Edgar Cayce
and how he predicted that the Great Lakes would empty into the Gulf of Mexico...

edit on 5/1/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The floods are dangerous and anyone that can move before
they reach the worse stages should do so IMO. We have
river flooding here in N Indiana as well but it certainly doesn't
cover an entire states such as Arkansas. The tornado warnings
are still out as well, I haven't read reports for today but I will do
so next. Stay safe.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Yes, everytime I think of a New Madrid major quake, I remember what Casey said about the Great Lakes emptying into the Miss. and not only that but if the quake also hits on the Mississippi south on the Gulf as well, it could just cover the entire South. The Navy Map sticks in my mind. Right now I am at 306 ft. above sea level in Southwest AR, and plan to move to 1800 ft above sea level on the 20th of May.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Daisy, I just went to the River Flood Level map on NOAA and National Weather Service and this is what came up:

River Flood Stage Map

You have requested an area on the National Weather Service website that is not accessible for security reasons. If you have questions, please see our feedback page.

Link: www.nws.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

I pray you make a safe move

I send all my luck and best wishes

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by crazydaisy

Daisy, I just went to the River Flood Level map on NOAA and National Weather Service and this is what came up:

River Flood Stage Map

You have requested an area on the National Weather Service website that is not accessible for security reasons. If you have questions, please see our feedback page.

Link: www.nws.noaa.gov...

What the hell is that about?
Security reasons?

I don't wanna jump to conclusions here...
but wtf?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join