It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop complaining about "Feminists" you probably are one

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Okay I keep seeing people complaining that feminists are this evil group that is trying to destroy the planet and they hate all feminists.

"feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings."
Cheris Kramarae

Do you believe women should be able to vote? You're a feminist.

Do you believe men should get in trouble for abusing their wives? You're a feminist

Do you believe women should have the option to have a career and work? You're a feminist

Do you believe women should have a say in their lives? You ARE a feminist

We tend to forget quickly that women had no say in their lives for a long time being controlled by their fathers and husbands. Granted some women could rise above, but only if their men allowed it.

Saying all feminists hate men and are anti family is ridiculous. This would be like saying all Baptists are protesting soldier's funerals.

Granted there are several extreme and vocal feminist groups that do hate men, but target them, don't target the ideal unless you really do believe women should be subservient and controlled by men as lesser creatures.

Again I will say that I recognize this wasn't how it always was, but any man that chose who got a father's cooperation could completely control any woman's life in the past.

If you truly are not a feminist and you're a woman get off the computer and back into the kitchen, you're a hypocrite and shouldn't respond here. If you're a man and not a feminist than I will entertain your argument.

This is much shorter than planned because I am going fast due to hitting enter rather than tab too early....
edit on 1-5-2011 by Jinglelord because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord

As your thread title is all that I have to go on, I can assure you that I am most certainly not a feminist.

I believe in equal rights for all.

edit on 1-5-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

As your thread title is all that I have to go on, I can assure you that I am most certainly not a feminist.

I believe in equal rights for all.

I finally got it up.. I hit enter instead of tab my bad...

I would say that by it's most basic definition that does make you a feminist. That is all feminism truly is. There are many extreme groups that try to make it where women are above men but those groups represent an extreme faction and not feminism for what it is supposed to be.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
My husband and I both call ourselves "feminists", but lately, I'm thinking a more accurate term would be "Equalist" or "Equality Advocate", because like Sherlock Homes, I believe in equality for all.

I think people who complain about feminists are actually complaining about man-haters, who are not feminists at all.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Some Sharia law oughta fix all that there blasphemy you speak of.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
By your logic then, believing black people should be allowed rights makes you black

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

No! But we all known who funded it, Rockefeller! And to be honest with you not very many people on this site like the guy!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
By your logic then, believing black people should be allowed rights makes you black

The OP didn't say that believing women should have equal rights makes them a woman. Maybe you should read it again.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Some Sharia law oughta fix all that there blasphemy you speak of.

I can only assume you're joking...
Here is an article that sums up Sharia Law for those who don't know Granted it is very biased but it gets the point across.

They by the way are not feminists...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Okay I keep seeing people complaining that feminists are this evil group that is trying to destroy the planet and they hate all feminists.

I don't ''hate'' feminists. I dislike them, but also pity them in some ways. In fact, I'd have more compassion for them if they weren't all so obnoxious.

"feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings."
Cheris Kramarae

No it isn't. Whoever Cheris Kramarae is or was does not acknowledge that feminism is about female dominance and is based upon hatred of men.

The feminist movement is not about equality, it is about getting the best deal for women, regardless of whether it's fair or not.

That is why feminism and feminists get so much bad press, and are ostracised by critical thinkers and people with well-rounded ethics.

Do you believe women should be able to vote? You're a feminist.

Do you believe men should get in trouble for abusing their wives? You're a feminist

Do you believe women should have the option to have a career and work? You're a feminist

Do you believe women should have a say in their lives? You ARE a feminist

Nonsense, those are all issues concerning equal rights.

I believe in equal rights for men and women; that is not feminism.

We tend to forget quickly that women had no say in their lives for a long time being controlled by their fathers and husbands. Granted some women could rise above, but only if their men allowed it.

What happened in the past was down to society having narrowly-defined gender roles. Men were equally as oppressed as women. It wasn't nice for women to be expected to conform in this way, but, then again, it wasn't nice that men were forced to risk life and limb in war, or that they were obliged to take up hazardous professions such as mining.

The biggest propaganda myth of feminism is that women were being oppressed by men. Women and men were equally oppressed by the ruling classes. A man who had to work 60 hours a week to put bread on the table for his wife and children was far more oppressed than the wife of any powerful or influential figure, who was most likely a lady of leisure, and who wouldn't have a clue how to wash the dishes or change a nappy.

Saying all feminists hate men and are anti family is ridiculous. This would be like saying all Baptists are protesting soldier's funerals.

Feminism stems from a dislike, distrust or hatred of men. This is usually caused by the feminist not being physically attractive ( ugly and/or overweight ), and feeling bitter about not receiving a second glance from men, or even receiving rude and disparaging comments about their looks.

Or it is also caused by a woman who has had bad or traumatic experiences at the hands of men, such as an abusive boyfriend/husband, or maybe seeing her father bullying and beating her mother.

I don't subscribe to the theory that feminism was all some big conspiracy to destroy the family. I think that the uber-feminazis are anti-family, because they are positively against a woman being ''chained'' to her children.

Feminists are also very anti-femininity. They are an enemy of real women. They regard femininity as being ''subservient'' or an attempt to ''please'' men, rather than celebrating femininity for its beauty.
Feminists, deep down, are anti-women and self-hating.

Granted there are several extreme and vocal feminist groups that do hate men, but target them, don't target the ideal unless you really do believe women should be subservient and controlled by men as lesser creatures.

The ''extreme and vocal group'' are feminists who seek control, a free-ride, and preferential treatment.

You are creating a false dichotomy by claiming that if you target feminism, then you must believe that women are inferior or not equal.

That is complete balderdash ! I believe in equality for all groups of people, which is precisely why I am not a feminist !

Again I will say that I recognize this wasn't how it always was, but any man that chose who got a father's cooperation could completely control any woman's life in the past.

If you truly are not a feminist and you're a woman get off the computer and back into the kitchen, you're a hypocrite and shouldn't respond here. If you're a man and not a feminist than I will entertain your argument.

I'm a man, so this doesn't apply to me. Although, ironically, I've just come out of the kitchen after a spot of cooking.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Did you ever see the Aaron Russo video where he explains the reason behind the feminist movement? He goes on to say how the Rockefeller foundation funded it to ruin families, and divide women and men and be able to tax more people. I also read how the leader of the feminist movement was working for the CIA named Gloria Stienem if I remember correctly. All in all men and women shouldn't be hating each other and the feminist movement is just a cult to divide people against each other. Rights for everyone should be fought for not just women.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I can only assume you're joking..

He's always joking.
He's a jokster, he is.

reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

A true feminist is not a man-hater. You're talking about man haters.
Feminism is the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men. There's nothing about hating men in there.

Source

edit on 5/1/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I would say that by it's most basic definition that does make you a feminist. That is all feminism truly is. There are many extreme groups that try to make it where women are above men but those groups represent an extreme faction and not feminism for what it is supposed to be.

It isn't, though.

Of course, feminists will pay lip-service to that idea, because it makes their ideology seem less extremist, and it's this ''wolf in sheep's clothing'' approach that so many feminists have, that makes so many of us keep a watchful eye on them.

Feminism, by very definition, is about furthering female rights, whether they be reasonable or unreasonable. The very name of the movement should tell you enough for you to realise that feminism does not equate to supporting equality between men and women.

Imagine if a group of white people formed an ideology that claimed to support equal rights amongst races, and called themselves ''caucasianists''. Would you believe that they supported equal rights amongst races ?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Proud feminists, proud sluts.

"I want to embrace the word 'slut' as somebody who is sexually responsible and aware, whether I have one or a hundred partners," Davis said.

Lmao

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RayTheWizardLiotta

The feminist movement is not about hating or dividing anyone. For the most part it's not even about hating men. It's more about fighting outdated beliefs and gaining equality.

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as;
: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

And the Oxford Dictionary;
feminism(fem·i·nism)
Pronunciation:/ˈfeməˌnizəm, /
noun

the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

The idea that feminism is pure man-hating probably comes from the media focusing on some of the more extreme groups and people (such as Valarie Solanas) to discredit the entire movement. Also most of the media in the past was written by men, and their main audience were men, and just like modern news channels spin their stories to cause fear and create distrust. Example is Muslims. Modern news tends to ignore the millions of nice peaceful Muslims, and instead focus on the very small pockets of extremists. THAT is what leads to hatred and divides the masses.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I do believe there are many who use the flag of feminism to further their man-hating agendas. This doesn't make make feminism inherently bad. The distinction is as I alluded to in my OP. We would rarely go out and say we hate the baptists because they are out protesting soldier's funerals. We would in general qualify it as Westboro. I would expect the same consideration for feminism. I am all for railing against many claims by extremist feminist organizations and as usual the argument is primarily semantics.

As an example the "Glass Ceiling" many women experience and many feminist groups fight against is in my opinion false. While any moron can easily see women in general make less money than men we need to examine root cause instead of making the assumption it is simply because business leaders dislike women. The root cause goes deeper from the feminist groups I've spoken to and worked with. There is consensus among the actual working feminists who aren't as vocal and aren't plastered in the media that women make less money because they are not as assertive in general as men. This is not as sensational as simply blaming business men, doesn't make a good headline, and doesn't feed into the victim culture the media is selling us. Do you hear about it? Nope.

It is these groups that operate around the world who actually do the work and make the differences.

I had it summed up for me by a woman well respected in international feminist circles: (paraphrased) "The work of the feminist movement making policy and law in the US is done, if they keep blaming others they will lose their gains, now it is the woman's responsibility to take advantage of the equality they were given."

I watched this same woman lecture a group of feminist women for being stupid for not including men and working for equality. They were annoyed when I showed up working as her assistant instead of a woman. Apparently they let men join their group afterwards.

I will not give a source as this was given to me in confidence for obvious reasons as such believe it as you will.

Finally; I do agree the name should be changed.

I would like to see a single group called "Equalists" And one could focus as a Gender Equalist or and Ethnic Equalist. But that just isn't as sensational and will never catch on.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

edit on 1-5-2011 by RayTheWizardLiotta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

Ya I know what feminism is...I was saying what was supposed to be a good movement ended up being exploited by Rockefeller, the CIA and Briezinski and put in a direction that benefited them. Just search yourself about Gloria Stienem as a cia agent, Aaron Russo interview about the Rockefellars...when you look into it more it has hurt women and men more now than before the womens liberation movement.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My husband and I both call ourselves "feminists", but lately, I'm thinking a more accurate term would be "Equalist" or "Equality Advocate", because like Sherlock Homes, I believe in equality for all.

I think people who complain about feminists are actually complaining about man-haters, who are not feminists at all.

...that'll never happen.

A male beats on a female..he's a coward, and a punk and gets sentenced to jail for 5 years.

a female beats on a male and it's "oh, he must of been a bad husband" and she'll possibly get out in one month

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

I don't think a real feminist would argue the woman shouldn't get the same treatment by the penal system.

But you're absolutely right, the system is flawed at present to allow an unfair advantage to women in this particular instance.

When LEO comes to a domestic call they will pick up the man 99% of the time regardless of the complaint. This is because in reality men are stronger and more physically able than women. But this is an inequality that should be fixed. Women should suffer the same consequences for assault that men do.

In reality any man that gets beat up by a woman is a weenie. But that is neither here nor there...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join