It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Among the Truthers:A Journey Through America’s Growing Conspiracist Undergroud

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
New Book released:

amongthetruthers.com...

It’s a familiar rationale for conspiracy theorists: They investigate as much in sorrow as in anger. They are always just one confession away from the truth. This kind of logic is much more understandable, if no more sensible, after reading Among the Truthers: A Journey Through America’s Growing Conspiracist Underground, a smart and serious new book by Canadian journalist Jonathan Kay. His book shows why Americans are becoming so willing to believe lurid fantasies about the government or politicians they don’t like or vaccines or the theory that the federal government was behind the attacks of 9/11 (these believers are the “truthers” of his title). And you realize that the world of conspiracies is only going to get larger.

It looks like an interesting read. I'll be ordering it today.

edit on 1-5-2011 by Six Sigma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Six Sigma

LOL, what a joke, as people become more and more and more aware and alert, and the crimes of the few become more public knowledge, I guess the sheep need to have a manual to explain it all.

Not to be unexpected though, one would have to imagine every corrupt and ruthless totalitarian crime syndicate, from Nazi Germany to Stalinist Russia, and likely back to the days of Rome, had their professional apologists and 'official' mouthpieces to keep those who saw through the lies and manipulations in check and the numbers from getting to out of 'control'.

Enjoy your psyops manual, hope it helps you feel better.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

the book is basically saying we're all idiots..

this is for the author of the book.

Jonathan Kay
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1de1026adef.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tecumte

LOL, what a joke, as people become more and more and more aware and alert, and the crimes of the few become more public knowledge, I guess the sheep need to have a manual to explain it all.

Thank you, Tecumte....the author summed it up perfectly when he said:

"The second thing is, it's a cult. And you can't disabuse a cult member of their beliefs, because it's central to their identity. Hardcore conspiracy theorists are attached to their conspiracy theories with the same force of conviction that religious adherents are attached to their religions. You can't rationally convince someone not to be a Christian or a Scientologist. That's their identity, that's who they are."

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick

the book is basically saying we're all idiots..

No, you actually just proved their point though. Try reading the reviews.....

The problem, the author points out, is that many people, hearing what sounds like a plausible argument, accept it without realizing that it is without factual foundation. Kay doesn’t adopt the derisive tone of some who write about people whose ideas are outside the mainstream; this isn’t a book about weird people and their weird ideas. It’s a thought provoking exploration of the conspiracist subculture that exists just under the surface of American society and its serious, but reparable, “cognitive consequences.”
— David Pitt

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Six Sigma
New Book released:

amongthetruthers.com...

It’s a familiar rationale for conspiracy theorists: They investigate as much in sorrow as in anger. They are always just one confession away from the truth. This kind of logic is much more understandable, if no more sensible, after reading Among the Truthers: A Journey Through America’s Growing Conspiracist Underground, a smart and serious new book by Canadian journalist Jonathan Kay. His book shows why Americans are becoming so willing to believe lurid fantasies about the government or politicians they don’t like or vaccines or the theory that the federal government was behind the attacks of 9/11 (these believers are the “truthers” of his title). And you realize that the world of conspiracies is only going to get larger.

It looks like an interesting read. I'll be ordering it today.

edit on 1-5-2011 by Six Sigma because: (no reason given)

While im not sure how he made an entire book explaining the obvious to some, it could prove interesting. Im sure you could find similar info in any book analysing cults, but it is nice to see one of these books among the umpteenth 2012 book. Thanks for sharing

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

WTF...don't you realize it just a way to label anyone who disagree with official findings,or in a lot of case's no findings,and blatant covers ups....

i find this book insulting,and can't believe you are advocating it here.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick

WTF...don't you realize it just a way to label anyone who disagree with official findings,or in a lot of case's no findings,and blatant covers ups....

i find this book insulting,and can't believe you are advocating it here.

Read the reviews.....

This hugely entertaining book takes a hard, critical look at Truthers, Birthers, Holocaust deniers, antivaccine activists, Tea Partiers, and other conspiracy-minded groups. The key to understanding these various organizations, the author stresses, is to realize that they are not all nutballs, even if they believe nonsense. Truthers, for example, who claim that the 9/11 terrorist attacks were not what they seemed, “have collaborated on the Internet to produce a dense mythology with a professional, even scholarly, gloss.” Birthers, while unable to provide any proof that Barack Obama was not born in the U.S., formulate lengthy, internally consistent arguments concerning his nationality. The problem, the author points out, is that many people, hearing what sounds like a plausible argument, accept it without realizing that it is without factual foundation.

amongthetruthers.com...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Not to be unexpected though, one would have to imagine every corrupt and ruthless totalitarian crime syndicate, from Nazi Germany to Stalinist Russia, and likely back to the days of Rome, had their professional apologists and 'official' mouthpieces to keep those who saw through the lies and manipulations in check and the numbers from getting to out of 'control'.

Wow, talk about instant verification of the thesis. Any chance that maybe you're wrong? Just a little question? Just a little doubt? If there is no doubt than its a religion.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

"The second thing is, it's a cult. And you can't disabuse a cult member of their beliefs, because it's central to their identity. Hardcore conspiracy theorists are attached to their conspiracy theories with the same force of conviction that religious adherents are attached to their religions. You can't rationally convince someone not to be a Christian or a Scientologist. That's their identity, that's who they are."

No, quite the contrary, thank YOU, Six Sigma, your response summed up perfectly the attempts we all know are here and coming by the army of sock puppets out in the Mockingbird controlled press and internet chat rooms.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

No, quite the contrary, thank YOU, Six Sigma, your response summed up perfectly the attempts we all know are here and coming by the army of sock puppets out in the Mockingbird controlled press and internet chat rooms.

Read it again...then read your response.....you are the text book definition!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hooper

Wow, talk about instant verification of the thesis. Any chance that maybe you're wrong? Just a little question? Just a little doubt? If there is no doubt than its a religion.

LOL, Got.....sockpuppets?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Oh, I LOVED this:

lurid fantasies

Never mind evidence. Never mind that things make no sense without these "lurid fantasies." Never mind that they make perfect sense WITH these 'lurid fantasies."

What a hatchet piece. *I* surely will not be buying this tripe.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

LOL, Got......Paranoid Schizophrenia?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tecumte

Yep, its all about you. The government is going to spend millions of dollars to try and influence conspiracy cultist. As if it matters. You're the seeker of pure truth and we're all just government sockpuppets out to thwart your progress. You've got any proof I'm a sockpuppet other than a reference to an article in a British newspaper? No, of course you don't. By why would you start to need evidence now? You've gotten this far without any.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think it's slightly humorous at how people are getting offended by this book (which they have not yet even read) as if it is the first book ever published that opposes their views. How do you think other people feel when you continue telling them that they are wrong?

I think that the author is on to something... there is a reason why people are quick to side with conspiracy theories even without any evidence and it is being taken advantage of. To think that the conspiracy community is 100% correct about all theories is ludicrous! Do you think that the all information that you dig up on the internet is true? do you think that no one is making stuff up for some reason or another? Do you really think you can out-think them?

Hoax after hoax is proven on this site, but people will continue to ignore this instead of taken it as it is... just a bunch of more information for you to make educated decisions on your own. Disinformation is more rampant in the conspiracy community, probably is more common than real conspiracies themselves. To blindly believe these theories is worse than being "asleep". It really amazes me how many people here think that they are smarter than this global conspiracy that is unfolding around us, and that they are for some reason enlightened (I have to agree that from an outsiders perspective, that sounds very cult-ish).

If we continue to call each names for not believing what we each individually believe in, getting all worked up and offended that someone has another very valid point of view, then they have already won. Control your emotions and quit saying "no" to information because you don't believe in, and I bet we would all be in a better situation than we are currently in.

But I'm sure just calmly expressing my opinion is opening myself to flaming from those who are quick to offend. (please, just call me a disinfo agent... nothing would make me happier, because I bet I've been into this stuff long before most of you could spell conspiracy)

ETA: Thanks for posting this. I bet we all could learn something from this book if we weren't too busy getting defensive about it
edit on 1-5-2011 by MikeyBones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

LOL, got.... History?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Excuse me? CULT? Lessee. I arrived at my ideas based on what best explains the seeming insanity, along with butt-loads of evidence. My conclusions are arrived at logically. If someone presents evidence that I am wrong, I change My mind. But talking to Me as if My conclusions are a "religion" or trying to dissuade Me from My views based on emotional appeal is not going to change My perception.

"My identity," My ass.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

LOL, got.... History?

en.wikipedia.org...

That is the most asinine reference.A man writes a book on his beliefs and automatically its a conspiracy, complete with links to which one it would be out of recorded history.

A perfect study for this mans book would of been alex jones....seriously.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tecumte

Some of you are suffering from this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A person cannot advocate a book yet you can post in the chatrooms/forums you say controls the government with no contradiction to what you are saying. The majority of people on her are nothing more than prisonplanet mouthpieces who like to get into threads with the same group of people and derail ANY thread that is started that does not include explosives, demolitions, remote controlled planes or reptilian warlords shooting them from space.

I am sure the same old people will be here soon stating the author should not have written it because he does not have a physics degree.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join