It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need tips/help for concentrating in math

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
real simple. I can easilly do the math. I'm pretty much always on target; I know how to check my answers and the concepts are easy to grasp.

But, I naturally speed read and I find myself getting answers wrong because I didn't read the entire problem. Instead I provide an answer that's not needed.

I need ways to break this very bad habit. Has anyone had any success in this venue?

I figure I can read the problem aloud in my head (which I don't normally do) and do it really slowly. But it'd be great if someone who has tackled this can share their tips.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The 3 H's

1. Homework

2. Homework

3.Homework

[Edited on 29-7-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Iv highlighted the problems the night before. Every problem was yellow when I opened it that day in math class and I knew what to read all the way, and I didnt skip over parts.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
More homework? I suppose that would help marginally, but I think my problem is a cocentration problem. Repetition will make me go into auto polit and solve the answers correctly, but when i take the test, if the question is slightly different, I won't catch it.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You need to force yourself to break the problem down into component parts before rushing to the answer... good for stuff outside of math.

A-B-C, 1-2-3, you and me, yeah.

Never give advice unless it is asked for.

BTW, good to see him graphically for whom you were named.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
More homework? I suppose that would help marginally, but I think my problem is a cocentration problem. Repetition will make me go into auto polit and solve the answers correctly, but when i take the test, if the question is slightly different, I won't catch it.

Look through previous homework questions before a test. Look through the notes.

memorize formulas, even if a cheat sheet is provided

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
thanks all for your responses. I think MA suggestion would work best for me. In deconstructing the problem and re-constructing it I'll defintely have to read the whole thing. It'll give me a "map" by which to provide the answers.

Quiz 6 and Final, here I come!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
There is actually a video out called How to get an A+. One of the most beneficial things I learned from it is to study in shorter slots of time if you are going to study for 2 hrs, break it down to (4) 30 min intervals. When you study something you have to remember, read your notes out loud, that way you see it and hear it, also record yourself reading them out loud. While You are doing chores that does not require a lot of concentration play the tape. Also if its ok with the teacher record class, you can learn a lot from listening to those tapes and also helps you make sure your notes are complete. Also take your notes and try and compact them down to short one line sentences. This can take 20 pages of notes down to 5 pages. Hope this helps, not everything I mentioned from above is on that video some of it is just ways I learned on my own to study. Also, you learn by teaching, if you have someone in your class and you both need to study, work together, that way you can learn from one another and teach one another what you know, it sounds crazy but it does work. Good Luck!

top topics

join