It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's white house correspondents' dinner intro will make you puke

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by aptness

Maybe you personally did, and at least in that regard you’re principled, but my post wasn’t directed at you personally, and you know very well what I’m talking about, because you’re an intelligent member and have been here on ATS long enough to know what I’m referring to.

Timing is everything.

And I do know what you are talking about. I do know there are some who will hate Obama because he is not a Republican, and not because of his policies and personal actions, and I do know some will cheerlead Obama despite the fact his actions are not that different from Bushs actions. It works both ways.

Which is why I refute the idea that criticism of this is about partisanship.

Clarified and narrowed down, I dont disagree with your point. But stated as if any criticism of Obamas participation in that dinner and his behavior there must mean hypocrisy on the part of the critic, I reject. I would be critical of ANY President doing stand up on the day we deliberately struck a home with non combatants in it in an attempt to assassinate a world leader.

Timing matters. What might be in good taste at a fourth of July barbeque might not be in an emergency room when someones grandchildren have been killed for money. And as a world leader, and someone who holds direct responsibility for our being in Libya, Obamas actions on that day matter to me.

This is not ok.

www.deccanherald.com...

Hours after NATO rejected Gaddafi's offer for "a ceasefire and negotiations," Libyan government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said today that the house of Saif al-Arab, one of the Libyan dictator's seven sons, was attacked last night with "full power".

"This was a direct operation to assassinate the leader of this country. This is not permitted by international law. It is not permitted by any moral code or principle. What we have now is the law of the jungle," Ibrahim told reporters.

68-year-old Gaddafi and his wife were there in the house with other friends and relatives, Ibrahim said. "The leader himself is in good health, he wasn't harmed."

Ibrahim claimed that the attack resulted in "the martyrdom of brother Saif al-Arab Muammar Gaddafi, 29 years old, and three of the leader's grandchildren."

And the fact that Obama can stand there laughing and joking after having caused in many ways, this to happen, I find deeply offensive. And I would regardless who the President was. Even if it were Ron Paul, or Ralph Nader. Although I somehow doubt they would have put us in that position in the first place.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Most of these events I've seen reported over the years do have presidents making jokes. They are usually self deprecating, light hearted, and dig into themselves more than anything. No other president has openly mocked the general pubic, called out a major news organization, or disdainfully mocked any and all his opponents.

I've never seen such a blatant lie (his long form BS excuse) shoved forth as the answer to true questions about his background. So poorly executed as to suggest he's laughing at every one of us. The "lunatic birthers" aren't any less crazy than the rabid believers of every blatant lie Barry tells.

The arrogance of this scumbag knows no bounds. And the arrogance of his followers will be answered in the streets soon.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Hey, listen.

If you wanna puke? Why not hop on the "WayBack Machine" with us...to 2004. Remember? Soldiers already DYING in the Middle East, due to the flawed, possibly illegal decisions of BUSH Number 2....and, this???:

Understand what the WHCAD is...it is a "tradition", and whether the sitting President is an egghead (and NOT a stand-up comedy pro) or a "good ole' boy" dry drunk, the kind you'd wanna sit and have a beer with, while shootin' at tin cans on the fence rails.....the Presidents are "obliged" to participate.

They don't write their own stuff!!! (Actually, most well-known actual "funny people", like your Jay Lenos, and your Bill Mahers and your Jon Stewarts, have full staffs of writers...).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And, that post just above mine??

Advocating violence in the streets, against those who disagree with you?? Someone gave you a star for that??

You wonder why some in favor of gun control......

edit on 1 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

I agree totally with what you said. Heres my question though. Did the birthers really think you could become president WITHOUT having a background investigation, which would have led TO ....ding ding ding ding!!!!! the BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!!... yeahhhhh...imagine that...you actually need a security clearance to became president of the United States....this is HUGEEEE!...lol...GTFOH....birthers...I swear!

Actually, I believe that your question could be shortened to; "Did the birthers really think?" and the simple answer would be a resounding NO! because they are incapable of performing the "thinking" process.

Say goodbye to the republican/tea party and say hello to the new conservative platform which I will label as the "Planters" party after the collection of mixed nuts that now makes up the base of their constituency.

By the way, I thought that both the President's and Seth Meyers's comments were dead on.
edit on 1-5-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

No i called the people clapping their hands at his stand up who are member of this site morons. Everyone else is fine. Yeah you can have a sense of humor about it and laugh at your self but this guy got elected because of people like us taking about 911 and the war in Iraq as a way to get oil the search for WMDS being false and he road that wave until wiki indecent now we are crazies right?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Good grief, people. It was the Washington Correspondence dinner, it's MEANT to be comedy. Every President since Calvin Coolidge has attended, most lampoon themselves and others in exactly the fashion that Obama did.

If you don't understand it, don't comment on it.

If you think ANYTHING said at this dinner was some sort of political statement, go find your tin hat.

Every once in a while, even people who see conspiracies EVERYWHERE have to have a laugh.

If you can't laugh at yourselves, you should definitely not be laughing at others.

LIGHTEN UP.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
No i called the people clapping their hands at his stand up who are member of this site morons.

WHY?
Because we aren't offended at this comedy act?
Because we're laughing instead of crying?
Because we didn't go in search of offense?
Because we disagree with you?

Bah! Lighten up.

Lord knows the president should be more politically correct, right? It never ceases to amaze me how people SCREAM about how much they HATE political correctness, but when someone they don't like shows signs of having a sense of humor about life, they get all offended and trite about it!

and he road that wave until wiki indecent now we are crazies right?

Uh... Ok.

edit on 5/1/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Every once in a while, even people who see conspiracies EVERYWHERE have to have a laugh.

If you can't laugh at yourselves, you should definitely not be laughing at others.

LIGHTEN UP.

You want to laugh and have a good time and forget about the horrors of war? And the tragedy that is the American economy? You want a respite from all that doom and gloom?

Then stop pretending that we should be laughing WHILE its going on. Do your damnedest to stop it, and when it stops, enjoy your life. We keep looking for entertainments to distract us from the bad things going on in the world, when we are causing many of them. We feel soo sorry for ourselves living in this dark world, and so entitled to a break from it, when we are the prime reason it is dark and dangerous.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
www.c-span.org...

Not sure if this posted but if not it needs to be.

They use a cheesy I am a real American song
They flaunt the fake birth certificate
His "official birth video" is a Lion King clip, which of course takes place in AFRICA

yep I posted it yesterday but so too much win here for just one post

FnS OP

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

your first epic fail is assuming all people who come to ATS are conspiracy theorists. They're not

your second is to assume every conspiracy theorist buys into the moon hoax, birther, tupac & roswell conspiracy theories. They don't
Hey epic fail guy nobody uses epic fail anymore except for charlie sheen . And if your not a conspiracy theorist why the hell are you here its a web site about conspiracy? also those he said are the big conspiracies when people talk about conspiracies those ones generally come up and are used to discredit all forms of conspiracy altogether.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
No i called the people clapping their hands at his stand up who are member of this site morons.

WHY?
Because we aren't offended at this comedy act?
Because we're laughing instead of crying?
Because we didn't go in search of offense?
Because we disagree with you?

Bah! Lighten up.

Lord knows the president should be more politically correct, right? It never ceases to amaze me how people SCREAM about how much they HATE political correctness, but when someone they don't like shows signs of having a sense of humor about life, they get all offended and trite about it!

and he road that wave until wiki indecent now we are crazies right?

Uh... Ok.

edit on 5/1/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)
First off i never said anything about political correctness i believe making fun of the people on ats is a form of political correctness its been their standard M.O. for years now. Yeah you can disagree with me and if you take no offense that's fine. Because we didn't go in search of offense lol it was a real search wasn't it.
edit on 1-5-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
C'mon people, get real. Y'all are looking to nitpick at every little thing but continue to offer no real solutions, either offer solutions or self cheque yourselves because this is getting old.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
You want to laugh and have a good time and forget about the horrors of war?

No one wants to forget about the horrors of war. Are we not permitted to laugh at something funny in the MIDST of war? Do you not laugh at all these days? Unless you have not laughed for the past 8 years, I don't see how you can criticize others for doing so.

Do your damnedest to stop it, and when it stops, enjoy your life.

I'm not going to wait till these wars end to enjoy my life. I could be waiting for the rest of my life! I enjoy my life every day that I have it.

If YOU wish to live a joyless life, go for it. But I choose balance for myself. Just because someone laughs at a joke doesn't mean they're not sensitive to the tragedies going on in the world right now.

Don't fall off that horse - it's a long way down.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Timing is everything.

When you are in a hospital room in agony, dying, it might not be the time for your family to go to the comedy club.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Timing is everything.

When you are in a hospital room in agony, dying, it might not be the time for your family to go to the comedy club.

That is probally one of the best things one can do because when a dark, dismal cloud comes over you there is a need to just be happy for even a few minutes or a couple of hours.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I understood your point, but have you not laughed since 2003? We've been at war since then. People have been dying every day since then. The TIMING of the war has been for the past 8 years.

What good does it do for us all to sit around being gloomy and refusing to enjoy our lives? What respect are we paying our fellow human beings by NOT laughing at something we find funny?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Love that he mentions the sacrifices of soldiers overseas for like 20 seconds and the last 2 minutes of his speech is about journalists and how bold and brave they are... how pathetic.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I understood your point, but have you not laughed since 2003? We've been at war since then.

Ask me about things I have said. I already wasted hours yesterday arguing against your putting words in my mouth. If I said it, I will defend it. Im not defending your interpretation of it.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wWizard
Love that he mentions the sacrifices of soldiers overseas for like 20 seconds and the last 2 minutes of his speech is about journalists and how bold and brave they are... how pathetic.

That's because the event is held in honor of the press. That's what it is for. When he visits a military base, I don't expect him to brag about reporters.

I think the big problem is that most people on this thread do not know what a White House Correspondent Dinner even is. Go back in the YouTube Time Machine (tm) and look at previous ones. You will see they are arranged exactly like this (though nothing will beat Colbert's grilling of Bush).

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wWizard
Um pathetic is not understanding that this was an entire dinner (that occurs annually, btw) to honor journalists.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join