It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer Council says Alcoholic Drinks and ethanol cause cancer!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Well, even if you don't smoke, you can get lung cancer. Even if you don't drink, you can die from cancer. Even if you don't smoke or drink, you can be dead by tomorrow.
Alcohol and Smoking aren't that big of a problem. Look at how many people live into their 80's even though they smoke and drink like crazy. I just have to take a look at my grandfather...one pack of cigarettes every day and he does it since he was 15 nearly 70 years now! He is still alive and kicking, he doesn't even have an illness.
The same was with our neighbour, smoked, drank....died aged 91.
All the while a lot of so called 'healthy people' drop dead...like all the soccer players dieing on the field.

You can never be sure, how long you live and living 'healthy' (whatever healthy living means, nobody knows it) doesn't extend your life.

I don't smoke, i don't care for it, but i say: let all the people who want to smoke, smoke. It's their decision. There's no need to say "haha, you die, you poison yourself you idiots".
I drink alcohol, i enjoy it, it's one of the things that make my life great because there's nothing better than a cold beer on a hot day or a nice glass of whisky and if i die because of that....well, at least i can say i had a great life without worrying too much and just enjoying everything that is fun

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!

Please stay on topic, discussing only

Cancer Council says Alcoholic Drinks and ethanol cause cancer!!

Read this before you post:
UPDATE: The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites

Further drug references will result in post removal, and may include temporary posting bans.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

And here we have been told for decades that it is smoking that causes oral-pharangeal cancers. Anyone remember the commercials with the cowboy who had a hole in his throat?

Your opinions don't matter. The WHO has decided that only quango (NGOs) may sit on advisory committees and the also decide what quango's (NGOs) get on the approved list. And the only quangos or (NGOs) that get on the approved list are the ones who support the UN (WHO) message.

So these studies will be provided by bought and paid for scientists and researchers. And public health will be perceived to be at risk (grain alcohol evaporates carcinogens into the air and are inhaled by "innocent" bystanders). It will be decided that alcohol must carry warning labels and the public must be "informed" of the danger.

Pretty soon, another study will be announced pegging the cost to health care attributable to drinking. Alcohol will be taxed to reflect its "true cost" including the cost of lost productivity. Alcohol producers will be sued by drinkers and government to cover retroactive health care costs and help fund the whole campaign.

Then quangos (NGOs) will be getting grants from the government and pharmaceutical companies to lobby local politicians to ban drinking in public (no body says you have to stop drinking - just to stop putting innocent bystanders at risk). Soon drinkers will be socially ostacized, just like smokers. Hounded and harassed.

Smokers tried to warn you about the "slippery slope" but nobody listened.

Now the drinkers and the eaters (obese) people are about to get hit with the same denormalization campaign that smokers were hit with. Don't expect it to take as long though. People are now used to be subjected to just about any harrassment "for their own good".

You didn't stand up for the smokers - now the smokers can sit back and laugh at all of you!

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatitanimulli
Everything causes cancer.
Everyday I hear of something new causing cancer.
Whats up with that?

There is a song about this.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Everything these days causes cancer. Cancer itself is actually quite a broad term and there are many different types. My friends sister died when she was 36 of cancer, and she never drank, smoked or anything like that. Face the facts, each of us die and most of us from some type of cancer. Continue living as you were, I know I am.

/Cracks open a cold one.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

You didn't stand up for the smokers - now the smokers can sit back and laugh at all of you!

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

A great post, you put it all so well.

No doubt, 10 or 20 years from now, people might look back on things you said and wonder, as the minority drinkers are pushed around, perhaps thrown in jail, fined to the hilt, etc. I can see the writing on the wall.

Obviously, society needs to protect itself from flagrant abusers, of whatever it might be. But moderate use should never be a crime, and that is what is not too far down the road.

Where do we draw the lines? Who gets to draw them? At least with the era of strict driving under the influence prohibitions, there was some "science" perhaps beneath the laws. Certainly, there is a level where people become "impaired", and public safety could be said to be at risk.

But when a disease is invoked to control people, they're getting rather personal!

And I think they're wrong mostly anyway. As other posters have said, anything can "cause" cancer. And yet, it's really just a way of looking at a thing.

Not so long ago, cancer was rare. Even just a century ago, cancer was RARE. Sure, the modern cancer industry can explain away anything, wishing that cancer was only formerly "rare" because of shorter life-spans, or not diagnosed, etc.

"What if" cancer really was rare a century ago, for plain-old common sense reasons instead? Such as, a world far less polluted, people eating natural foods, the average person physically working (not just slumped in a chair in front of a screen), etc.

Yes, cancer is getting more prevalent in the population, but chances are pretty good that humans on average don't really drink alcohol anymore than we did a century ago.

One thing is great about organizations like Cancer Councils: It sure is nice for the big companies cranking out food with no nutritional value, and corporations polluting everything they touch, and the medical establishment! They aren't at fault! Listen to your Cancer experts! It's not your corporations hurting you! It's US! We drink too much ("even one is too much"), we smoke too much, etc.

NO. We don't really do any more of any of these things than we did formerly. It's absurd really, especially in historical context.

SO, what IS the problem then, why so much cancer? Well...

Do we eat too much, especially modern convenience foods that aren't even healthy to begin with? Probably.

Do we fail to exercise as much as we should. No doubt, collectively, modern people have it easy.

These things make far more sense explaining things like "cancer", than silly observations made by "officials" who serve their masters, and have agendas.

BUT, we do reap what we sow, and smokers were thrown in front of the bus not so long ago. Maybe it's our turn now.

JR

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

I don't drink, not a fan. But if you put a bottle of Jeger Meister on the table, it'll *magically* disappear.
But seriously, other then that I just don't drink. I now live in Norway, the culture here is one filled with booze. Everyone from age 16 and up is out drinking each weekend.

Yet, Norway doesn't have any higher cancer rates then any other country. And they've been doing this for, well forever.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
reply to post by nahsik

I don't drink, not a fan. But if you put a bottle of Jeger Meister on the table, it'll *magically* disappear.
But seriously, other then that I just don't drink. I now live in Norway, the culture here is one filled with booze. Everyone from age 16 and up is out drinking each weekend.

Yet, Norway doesn't have any higher cancer rates then any other country. And they've been doing this for, well forever.

Excellent contribution, IMO.

Of course, someone might be along shortly to dismiss the matter as merely genetic, but I think that the environment must play a part.

I've never been to Norway, but I imagine it is not heavily populated, not polluted, mostly clean water and air, etc.

Also, I wonder how many Norwegians still eat traditional foods, over the mass-marketed convenience alternatives?

Physical activity might play a part. Do Norwegians typically enjoy the outdoors?

Not many big cities, I don't think...

JR

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I too wonder, if thier sayng this, to jsutify thier council board being existant* if they know liquor, listerine, ciggs casue cancer,t hen why allow it to be sold over the counter to the public?
Years ago, late teens, my friends mom was telling me about her husband, (his father) who died twoards late 70's. he was a sub crontractor, made good money, but had a problem..drinking. everyday, he'd drink those liter to half gallon bottles of rye and russian vodka, strong %proof stuff. well, one day he lost his job, and couldnt afford that anymore. She'd come home home, with a bottle 1.5 liter listerine, the amber colored one, and 3-4 days later, noticed half to 75% of the bottle was emptied. he was substituting the listerine, for alchohol intake. his liver gave out and died quickly. they attributed his death, the the ingesting of listerine. On another note, a unlce on my grandmothers side of family(not related, mom was adopted), he was about 55-57 when hhe deid early 70's right at the bar. grandmother tod this story a few times years ago. alcoholic and why to never become one. he went into his favorite bar one day. His skin appeared green n yellowish, order his drink and keeled over right thier at the bar. what he was drinking, i have no idea. but apparently his liver was shot.
It does seem, alcohol will kill you quicker tha ciggs would. but excess and too much of anything will kill you too. ethanol, as ive read about, is corrosive. and a known carccinogen by todays standards. its put in gasoline, derived from corn, as we all know. CVS pharmacy has a dish detergent, natural, made in canada, that contains ethanol. what ive read on oil engineer forums, is ethanol will eat away at fuel lines in older cars, not designed to run the stuff..but the lines would have to be non metal...fuel tubbing you can buy, hard rubber* ethanol will eat away at it in relatively short time. and it kills mileage a bit. so hear we see, the only real reason is in gas,is a substitute to replace methanol ( nasty stuff that was added to gas up to late 90's). per EPA standards. but it kills mileage a bit, multiply that per capita and population of car owners..and its not all that much better, ya know? that means more fuel consumption, thus refilling more often, per car owner* that means more crabon monoxide, and carbon. so maybe, its not so 'green'
afterall*

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

My father died of pancreatic cancer...

However he drank from age 7 and smoked from age 13... When he drank in his 50's it was usually 12 or more beers a night...

He passed at 57.... It took the drink 50 years to kill him....that's a good run in my estimation...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by ziggy1706

My father died of pancreatic cancer...

However he drank from age 7 and smoked from age 13... When he drank in his 50's it was usually 12 or more beers a night...

He passed at 57.... It took the drink 50 years to kill him....that's a good run in my estimation...

Not bad, I've known some heavy drinkers making it through their mid-50's. My step-father bit the big one at age 46 and an uncle at 48, both heavy drinkers and died of alcohol-related problems, e.g., cirrhosis of the liver, etc. These guys normally knocked-off a liter a day of vodka or gin usually. After a point moderation does not seem to be an option.

Alcohol was permitted, even encouraged, around my household while growing up. I could have a drink or a beer at any age any time I wanted it. When alcohol was served to me as a child along with a meal it was in the form of a glass of red wine. Consequently alcohol never came with a taboo and was never a stigma. I didn't have to wait until I grew-up to drink what daddy drank, never had to sneak it, so perhaps for that reason I never had much of an appetite for it. I will still drink a glass of wine with certain foods, still reluctantly accept the offer of a beer now and then and even at times choose to drink one. I doubt my consumption of alcohol will ever be a health concern for me.

Alcohol is our number-one recreational drug permitted in this modern world in most places. It is a world-wide institution that are conditioned to accept as part and parcel of celebrating and having a good time with traditions of toasting and merry-making. Who would ever have thought consumption of alcohol might have consequences?

edit on 1-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yes, heavy drinking can cause oesophageal or mouth cancer, 13,000 a year in the UK according to the NHS

Alcohol 'A Major Cause Of Cancer'

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Just remember, if you wind up getting cancer, it's YOUR fault. It's because you drank, smoked, used a cellphone, ate too much fatty foods, sat in the sun too long, etc. etc.

That nuclear reactor leaking radiation over in Japan has NOTHING to do with it. Not a thingy-dingy.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Again, the idea with anything is moderation* too much of anyting is not good for you. im sure even too much air would kill you eventually. drinkers who cannot control thier intake, are doomed. same as smokers, and drug users* call it overdose or what you like. even too much sex, yuor bound too pick up something at one point, be it skin b listers or STD or HIV.
as for alcohol causing mouth cancer* i use listerine ( im a smoker). it does containe 26% alcohol, sodium sacharrin, which has been known to cause cancer. the colored literines, use FD&C colorants..meaning synthetics derived from crude oil, if im not mistaken*

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
thats how u get mouth cancer then, IF true...alcohol, sodium sacharrin, nad FD&C dyes* i wonder how true that is though.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Why do we get more cancer????

We get it because we live longer than 100 years ago (greater odds of a mistake when our cells replicate_

We see more doctors who are able to diagnose the disease (ie mistakenly thinking someone died of consumption when it was really lung cancer)

We get it because we look intensely for it (ie screening)

But that won't stop the quangos and NGOs and the government from financially raping the drinkers, eaters and the corporations who supply them. That won't stop the harassment and the social isolation if you fail to conform.

Smokers ARE laughing our asses off!

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join