It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer Council says Alcoholic Drinks and ethanol cause cancer!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Cancer Council says Alcoholic Drinks and ethanol cause cancer!!

www.news.com.au

FORGET safe drinking levels, any amount of alcohol could give you cancer.
Alcoholic drinks and ethanol are carcinogenic to humans and there's no evidence there's a safe consumption threshold to avoid cancer, the Cancer Council says in the Medical Journal of Australia.

There's convincing evidence that alcohol is a cause of cancer of the mouth, pharynx, larynx, oesophagus, bowel (in men) and breast (in women), the council says in a position statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This is insane. I love a drink as much as the next guy and now the Cancer Council is saying this is as harmful as smoking. What is this world coming to?

Quote:
'It's bad news for those justifying the occasional drink as a preventer of coronary heart disease.'

What does this mean to for lovers of wine and other great beverages? I don't know if this information should be squashed or appealed. I enjoy my friday nights from time to time after work and having drinks with the girlfriend.

www.news.com.au
www.heraldsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-5-2011 by nahsik because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Everything causes cancer.
Everyday I hear of something new causing cancer.
Whats up with that?

link   
reply to post by nahsik

Who doesn't understand that abuse of alcohol is harmful? Finding out that it causes cancer is no suprise really, it is caustic, for cryin out loud you can light and burn most liquors!

But just like tobacco, it is a choice as to whether or not to imbibe and take a risk.

[[snip]]
edit on Sun May 1 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: UPDATE: The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites

link   
Did you think drinking was good for you? Killing brain cells cannot be healthy. Nor can destroying one's liver. I enjoy a drink or two also, but finding out it could cause cancer does not surprise me. I already knew it isn't good.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I think they need a better explanation as to what types of alcoholic drinks are linked to cancer. I can't imagine it being all drinks.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
My doctor told me a glass of red-wine reduced cancer.

Health is stupid at times, its a catch 22 where everything gives you something.

I'll let you on in a little secret, we all die in the end! regardless if we've been good.
edit on 1-5-2011 by phantom150 because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Too bad the man won't let us make the same decision about marijuana, which is basically harmless and extremely useful for so many products.

only and i stress only if it is grown in its natural enviroment, not under lights with soooooo many chemicals is it safe

Wal
edit on 1-5-2011 by auswally because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

ALCOHOL

Around 2.5 million die each year from the harmful use of alcohol, accounting for about 3.8 percent of all deaths in the world. More than half of these deaths occur from NCDs including cancer, cardiovascular disease and liver cirrhosis. While adult per capita consumption is highest in high-income countries, it is also high in populous upper-middle-income countries.

www.reuters.com...
This is nearly about half as many that die from cigarettes each year. I'm considering to to cut my drinking then to only a drink if I have to when I'm out on weekends now.
edit on Sun May 1 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: [ex] tags, fix link

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It is known for long time that ethanol=alcohol (the stuff that is "active ingridient" in alcoholic drinks) is carcinogen in Class 1. Which is by definition class that:

The agent (mixture) is carcinogenic to humans. The exposure circumstance entails exposures that are carcinogenic to humans. This category is used when there is sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in humans.

en.wikipedia.org...
So it is not new. I personally decided that having glass of wine and bear a week is my limit. Though as stated in the article there is no safe dosage.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I think the people who made this report were drunk when they wrote it!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
EVERYTHING CAUSES CANCER.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Of course the products that do cause cancer are legal and greatly taxed. Some studies have shown alcohol can help fight cancer, I guess it's like taking some medications, but do the side effects outweigh the benefits?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by VicDiaz89

Indeed. Just wait until they claim that sex causes cancer.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

This is nearly about half as many that die from cigarettes each year. I'm considering to to cut my drinking then to only a drink if I have to when I'm out on weekends now.

You know what mate, the way your posts sounds you will get cancer and die quicker from stress
. Stress is the biggest cancer causing thing in anyone, we all have cancerous cells in our body, its what triggers it too mutate that makes it bad, and IMO stress will do this more then anything

Drink in moderation ,maybe a little more and be happy, my advise

Wal

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Guys guys, I just heard that

LIFE KILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better die before it gets to you!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by VicDiaz89

Indeed. Just wait until they claim that sex causes cancer.
LMAO.i was gonna post the exact same thing!

link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

They have done that!

If AIDS doesn't kill HPV or another STD will, just another thing to give you an injection for.

Sunlight, plastic, mobile phones, wi-fi, fatty foods, asbestos, sugar, milk, the list goes on are all things that apparently kill you.

You can be as healthy as you but it doesn't stop you getting run-over by a lunatic on a mobile phone.
Lifes a bi*tch, get over it!

link   
I wouldn't get too worked up about it, this is just another one of our multi-million dollar corporations – sorry, 'charities' – trying to sound alarmist, in order to justify their existence. (Perhaps we will see yet another fund-raising day, with people on the streets selling little ribbons and novelty pens etc?)

I agree that too much alcohol is not going to have a positive effect on anyone's health, but in moderation, with a healthy diet, sleep and exercise, is surely not going to cause cancer to develop for everyone.

Last year there was a discovery in northern Australia, a tropical fruit that was shown to cure cancer in dogs and cats (sorry I dont have the link on hand, it might be here on ATS somewhere). The discovery was announced on the news at the time, and the CEO of Cancer Council was interviewed for his response. One would think that the head of such an organisation would express positive feelings towards a new discovery in cancer research, but no – he was completely skeptical, negative and critical, and denied that there was any real hope for a cure.

Sometimes these kind of organisations get so big and powerful that they really don't want to find a cure, otherwise there would really be no reason for them to exist. Instead their focus turns to finding more illness.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

You know me a bit too well and yes I do stress from time to time. Luckily exercise and running helps to relieve some of it and the parents tell me to meditate which I really need to start doing.

I think cancer now a days feels like the luck of the draw no matter how healthy you are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join