It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dem party chairman : Gov. Brown should shoot a Republican to force them to vote for taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It was a joke... but a bad one.

Burton takes some heat for 'shooting' remark

Dem party chairman joked that Gov. Brown should shoot a Republican to get a vote on taxes

John Burton, the state Democratic Party chairman, came under fire Friday for suggesting Gov. Jerry Brown "try shooting" a Republican to persuade them to vote for taxes.

In an interview with Bay Area News Group this week, Burton said Brown "can try shooting somebody and tell the next guy, 'You don't want that to happen to you, you better step up and vote.' "... What's Jerry going to do unless he took out a gun?"

The comment, made on the eve of the state party's convention kickoff, went over the line, said Mark Standriff, communications director for the state GOP.

Ridiculous joke. He should resign at least from his post as Democratic Party chairman...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
dude do you know how much hell the left would be raising if a republican said that about a democrat?

that aint right that aint right by no means and should resign

is it any wonder i cant respect any democrat in thiis country.

it may have been a joke but alot of people would agree with him

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I thought democrats didn't own guns.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Sounds like a terroristic threat to me. Where is DHS on this? If it was a civilian they would be locked up without a trial and indefinite detention with no Habeas Corpus, or Obama could have them shot for being a terrorist.
edit on 1/5/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

edit on 5/1/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I don't see the issue here. He made a bad joke. Political correctness, and ANY rhetoric that uses the word "gun" or "target" or "bullet" in a sentence has become such a hot button issue, usually by the left, that innocent remarks are blown out of proportion.
The fact that a GOP or Tea Party person would have been tarred and feathered by now, had they stated the remark, just illustrates the hypocracy of the left.
But bad jokes? Silliness abounds.

Enjoy free speech! So . . . .
Use those "bullet" points
"Shoot" off your mouth
Go "gunning" for your opponent
"Murder" your competition

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

thats just the true face of the fascist democratic party

you know that face they try so hard to hide.

he just does a poor job of it.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I will admit that the dems have been the party of "do as I say, not as I do", but there has to be a time when somone, anyone should stand up and cut this PC tripe out! The dem party chair would have been one of the first to condemn this if a conservative said this, and that party chair would have been as wrong as anyone else who creates an issue out of this. This just shows how hypocritical the left is.
Remember that loser in Az? All the sad talk about how it was Palins fault? The Tea Partys' fault? Conservatives fault? The left has created a perfect oppourtunity for the conservatives here. They can't say anything now. Unless they eat their own. And as we've seen time and time again, the left will make themselves look worse just to protect themselves, than stand on principle.

join