It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So much water in the Mississippi river... tributaries water flow going BACKWARDS...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

I dunno about the rest of you, but I've witnessed enough historic events to last a lifetime now!

I love this quote!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Hey WestCoast..

here's a pic of the MS River before the flood

edit on 1-5-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I live in Iberia Parish

I have a thread about this also and
We are just finding out about this.
A little nerve racking to say the least

Originally posted by stupid girl
reply to post by Under Water

The one you gotta watch is the Red River.
If that one starts to rise along with the Mississippi, then Louisiana is big trouble.

Having said that, Atchafalaya Basin is Custer's Last Stand, so to speak, so keep an eye on the Northern levees there.
Epic flooding of the Missisip & Red would create catastrophic flooding of the Atchafalaya and would essentially wipe out the entire central portion of Louisiana--from Alexandria in Rapides Parish to Houma in Terrebonne Parish.

That's a lot of people wiped out, which would include half my family.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Some one predicted on ATS that the rivers would flow backwards, they were talking about earthquakes, I'm pretty sure. Which they had yesterday or today in Minnesota.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
well i can tell you i live in missouri and this flood is going to be bad... we are at peak flood levels right now i researched and and we haven't even received all the run off from the melting snow in the mountains....

1993 was bad and just from what i am seeing this is going to be bad....

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

already flowing backwards in memphis

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
It just started storming here AGAIN! Thunder woke me up about 30 minutes ago. More rain predicted for this week, I'm not sure what's going to happen now as people are still evacuating from last weeks storms.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is not uncommon, the Missouri river does it nearly every year during flood season, if you happen to be fishing one of the tributaries in a boat when it happens it'll scare the crap out of you if your just floating and fishing, the current will change, and your boat will suddenly start heading back up stream. Interesting to see happen, but normal.

The midwest will flood this year, unless drastic measures are taken to quell the intput of water into its rivers. The Missouri is bank to bank right now, and close to the top of the levees, the Corp. of engineers is in court trying to prove the need to blow a levee to release pressure on parts of the mississippi near St. Lious. By the time they settle the question it'll be too late.

Recent rains, and snow amounts from earlier this year have led to this current problem, there is very little that anyone can do, The Ole Miss, and The Big Muddy flood when they feel like it and the unfortunately we mere humans seem to think we have something to say about the matter.

To be truthfull, just sit back and enjoy the show of unusual situations, such as the tributaries flowing backwards, snakes and bugs running from the water, and the good gigging season ahead-you can gig out of season in flood waters-lots of fish coming to our freezers this season.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

The flood insurance seems to be the issue according to KRCG news out of Jefferson city, if the corp. blows the levee, then flood insurance wont pay because its man made, also FEMA wont pay because its man made, so all those folks who will lose everything will literally lose everything and have no recompense-also they have to pay for those flood insurance policies, the government doesnt, Fema comes in after they have paid and picks up the bill for whats left, and even then it isnt enough to cove r what they lost- How do I know- former FEMA employee here during the catastrophic floods of 1993, and flood insurance Quality Control for the State of Missouri during 1993 floods.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RajunCajun
I live in Iberia Parish

I'm in Vermillion, both iberia and vermillion have some extreemly low areas. And to top that off, looks like we are going to get some bad weather monday and tuesday.....

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Under Water

Originally posted by RajunCajun
I live in Iberia Parish

I'm in Vermillion, both iberia and vermillion have some extreemly low areas. And to top that off, looks like we are going to get some bad weather monday and tuesday.....

Well looks like your avatar and sayings will suit you/us huh...
Yeah things are not looking so great at all,and not even hurricane season yet
*sigh*

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
everyone on the east coast better prepare for this one! once it's fully flooding (in a couple weeks), it'll be just about time for hurricane season to kick in. plus, you've got all the recent activity along the new madrid. yeah...let the mississippi/missouri flood, more tornados happen, the new madrid give way and all this right in the middle of a hurricane season that's already been predicted to be the worst in years. and then let the financial system melt in the middle of the "clean up".

...yeah...this could be a very interesting next couple of months!

hope everyone has a pair of floaties! godspeed...
edit on 5/1/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
right in the middle of a hurricane season that's already been predicted to be the worst in years.

Not to be a ball-buster, but they also said that last year's season was predicted to be the worst and I don't even think we got more than a few thunderstorms last season here on the Texas Gulf Coast

The sad thing is, when we're under threat of a hurricane I have to run home to Louisiana to wait it out.
Doesn't look like we're gonna have anywhere to run to if we have to evacuate for a hurricane this year

edit on 1-5-2011 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is most definitely NOT the Mississippi. This is the Tennessee River in Chattanooga, Tn looking towards Veteran's Bridge.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by edgecrusher2199
reply to post by ButterCookie

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is most definitely NOT the Mississippi. This is the Tennessee River in Chattanooga, Tn looking towards Veteran's Bridge.

My bad....I may have posted the wrong pic

but if so, then what are you trying to say?

Anyone can simply find a pic of it...

here it is

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone has provided this link already, but it is from the NOAA and has real-time monitoring and predictions for all rivers in the us.

here is the main map:
US map of real-time river level stations

Here is the cairo gauge selected:
Cairo real-time monitoring

You just click on the part of the country you want to look at, then click on station. It brings up the current level and the predicted level along with all the historical markers, etc. Great site. I use it whenever we flood here on the skagit.

NOTE: as of the time of this posting, the cairo river level was 61.08 with the predicted crest at 63ft

ETA: In looking around at some of the other station, I came across THIS guage for tipptonville which is a bit south of Cairo. Looks like they had a very sudden two foot jump in the river level. You don't see that unless there is a major cause....gates or something opened????
edit on 2-5-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I used to live there, in DeSoto County about 10 miles south of Memphis. We had flooding every year, but nothing like what's being reported here. This is bad, bad news for people living there. It could be on par with Katrina, with people having to relocate. But then again, maybe not. I could be exaggerating.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Watching live feed of Levee blast here
www.kfvs12.com...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Communities grew there because the Mississippi allowed mass commerce. Do you think people should live away from water and live out in the middle of nowhere?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Is it just me or are the Mississippi's tributaries looking a little high again?

Something I noticed today when riding by a few...one looked so high that it mirrored last spring's flood.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join