It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikilieaks Cable From Ottawa-2005 Discusses Request for Creation/Benefits of NAU.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I received this update via Wikileak’s Twitter account yesterday evening. I’m not sure if it has been posted previously, but I wanted to bring this to everybody’s attention. Now this cable is FROM Ottawa.

From the introduction:

SBU) An incremental and pragmatic package of tasks for a new North American Initiative (NAI) will likely gain the most support among Canadian policymakers. Our research leads us to conclude that such a package should tackle both "security" and "prosperity" goals. This fits the recommendations of Canadian economists who have assessed the options for continental integration. While in principle many of them support more ambitious integration goals, like a customs union/single market and/or single currency, most believe the incremental approach is most appropriate at this time, and all agree that it helps pave the way to these goals if and when North Americans choose to pursue them.

¶3. (SBU) The economic payoff of the prospective North American initiative - in terms of higher incomes and greater competitiveness - is available, but its size and timing are unpredictable, so it should not be oversold. Still, a respectable economic case has been made for such an initiative, and this message spells it out. We believe that, given growing Canadian concern about "border risk" and its effects on investment, a focus on the "security" side could also produce the most substantial economic/trade benefits.

Notice how the communication advises that an incremental approach to this kind of integration is the key to its success. This leads me to believe they know full well that citizens from these three countries would be very much against any of this. At least the citizenry anyway…

I found this section particularly amusing at the bottom:

A NOTE OF CAUTION
¶9. (SBU) There is little basis on which to estimate the size of the "upside" gains from an integration initiative concentrating on non-tariff barriers of the kind contained in NAI. For this reason, we cannot make claims about how large the benefits might be on a national or continental scale. When advocating NAI, it would be better to highlight specific gains to individual firms, industries or travelers, and especially consumers.

Notice how diplomats are very uneasy about talking to people about this, making sure to pick your battles carefully.

There is more to the document, which you can find here.

This document was created in 2005 and isn’t the full document according to Wikileaks.

Thoughts?

~Keeper
edit on 4/30/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/30/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
So, the question then is: who's agenda is this?

Our leadership is short lived. The POTUS, for example, is only a 4 or 8 year term. To have "incremental" movement towards an NAU would require planning in a range exceeding the ability of a couple of policy makers at the top to steer.

So what we have here is a fingerprint of the people who are truly in control. The ones who tell all N. Amer. governments what to do. I would venture a guess that it is also the same people who hold the Fed Reserve purse strings.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well the idea of the NAU stretches many decades and leaders in all three countries. I believe this plan was always a long term thing, but I think it's becoming increasingly important to the PTB to have this done as soon as possible.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well the idea of the NAU stretches many decades and leaders in all three countries. I believe this plan was always a long term thing, but I think it's becoming increasingly important to the PTB to have this done as soon as possible.

Yes. Very important to them.

And that seems obvious. So many times I have both thought and heard others claim that it seems like the government is screwing it up on purpose. They can't be that bad at running a country, and the bad decisions have to be malicious.

It seems that whatever it is they fear is driving them to destroy our nation in an attempt to push a "joining". And it is pervasive enough that we will grope children in the airport, but won't even think about sealing our border.

Whatever it is that is providing the impetus, it is obvious that it is a willful movement on behalf of our "leaders".

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
* T H I S *** I S *** H U G E *

I keep asking myself "WHY ISN'T THIS PLASTERED ON EVERY NEWS SITE?"

There is an election up north right now and this could kill the Liberals AND Conservatives if presented right discussing Mulrooney's NAFTA, Martin's SPP and Harper's fostering of the whole progression.

It also proves without any doubt that someone outside of their congress/senate/parliament is writing policy and spanning it over consecutive regimes no matter whether Lib or Con.

top topics

join