It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY inmate separates guards fighting over food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

NY inmate separates guards fighting over food

news.yahoo.com

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Talk about a role-reversal: Two New York jail guards are in trouble after an inmate stepped in to break up their fight over food.

Erie County Undersheriff Mark Wipperman says both corrections officers are suspended with pay after what he calls an "embarrassment."

The inmate required medical attention but Wipperman says privacy laws prevent him from disclosing his injuries. He says the inmate got between the unarmed guards because he didn't want either to get fired.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I posted this article because it gives us a glimpse of how the United States behaves today. Our society is not right and often prison inmates have far better ethics than those who hold them captive. Instead of those two officer being locked up and owe the state all kinds of fines, what would happened if two 'citizens' got into a fight, these prison guards are getting a paid vacation.

news.yahoo.com...
online.wsj.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 30-4-2011 by jrod because: added additional links

edit on 30-4-2011 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i was laughing my ass off after reading that article this morning...and as someone who has proudly spent some time behind bars for my part in the fight against fascism, i have to agree with your take on the present moral state of the nation...the guards (not all, but most) where i was were some of the most awful human beings i have ever had the misfortune of coming in contact with, while the inmates were mostly good folks who couldnt afford decent lawyers...people who enslave others without even being concerned with the morality and true aims of the society they are serving do not deserve to breathe the same air as freedom-loving, conscientious citizens...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Love it when my city makes the news for absolutely outrageous behavior.

I guess this is the world we live in *sigh*

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Why do police always get paid vacation as "punishment" whenever they get in "trouble??"

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if both guards were to turn around and beat the inmate silly for interrupting and got away with it.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Why do police always get paid vacation as "punishment" whenever they get in "trouble??"

When you suspend an employee, it has to be paid. Otherwise, they can resign and file unemployment on you, and assume that you have fired them.

Also, if you don't make it paid, then you cannot set up the time to meet again (if they are suspended without pay, the employer has no claim over anything like attendance. I schedule you to visit with me tomorrow at 3pm, if you are late i can term you for no call no show).

Anytime you suspend an employee it is with pay. Standard business practice.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Standard business practice? As I understand it, if someone is fired from their job for bad behavior, failed drug test, always being late, too many no shows, ect.. then they do not get unemployment. The fact that they are not in jail for fighting is almost comical because I am sure many inmates are there on lesser charges.

Hypothetically, if I were to get into a fight and the police broke it up I would go to jail, be fined, possibly have to take mandatory classes, be at risk from being fired from my job, and depending on what charges the officer decides to place on me possibly lose my 'right' from being able to own a firearm and ineligible from many more jobs because I would now be labeled a 'violent' criminal.

While there is a lot of rabble on the internet about standing up for our rights, taking back our country, and even a revolution, imo it will never happen because too many people are too scared of the consequences to take any real action and force some positive changes.
edit on 30-4-2011 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

You suspend with pay so that you can investigate to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. The threat of our over litigious society choosing to sue over some minor slight causes the need to follow this procedure. Wrongful termination, especially in a union state, can cost jobs and millions.

I am not making excuses. But I have run businesses for years and just wanted to elucidate the "why" behind suspensions.

In a "right to work" state you have more leeway. But even then, the threat of lawsuit will make you understanably meek. These guys are from a heavily unionized state. The red tape to get them out the door is just that much worse.
edit on 30-4-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Hey jrod, this made my day. I cant help but laugh at jailers fighting over food and making the news. I know you are being serious about how the United States behaves today. I agree star and flag, plus still laughing! Good find.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
That article made me laugh out loud. That inmate should be given extra food rations, or be let out on parole early.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I posted this article because it gives us a glimpse of how the United States behaves today. Our society is not right and often prison inmates have far better ethics than those who hold them captive.

No kidding?

The pigs locking people up usually do have very poor ethics.

And the reason for this, is because they have no problem locking up people for cracking a joke while they write a ticket, having a "bad attitude" with them, you name it. Not to mention the level of mentality it requires to be able to enforce the nonsense laws our crook politicians write and to learn to have no qualms about it.

This is extremely ironic but hardly surprising. S&F.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower

It's all part of encouraging immoral behavior. Remember the guy they had handcuffed on his stomach in California, and this LAPD pig just pulls out his gun and shoots and kills the guy as he's already laying there subdued?

Yeah, he got paid vacation for that too.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Thanks for posting!

I feel a lot of the people in prison and jail do not belong there.
We need more rehabilitation programs and stronger safe guards to prevent them from being institutionalized.
They don't make people better but make them worse and increase the chance they'll end up back there.
Not only do the ruin the lives of many young women and men who are in there but ruin the lives of their families and love ones.
They seek to break people emotionally, physically, mentally, instead of trying to strive towards healing and progress.
They take broken, lost, addicted individuals and turn them into monsters, when they could have been so much more.
The sad thing is it's mostly our youth that is getting lost in this system and the judgments on "adult-minor" have changed greatly over the years.
People like to think and pretend they are all animals but they aren't.
Yes there are some people that are lost causes and should be locked away with key thrown away, but not most if you look at the amount of inmates there are in the US and what they are in for.

Most the time the people running these places, the CO's&Guards belong there themselves a lot of them do the same things the inmates do but just don't get caught and when they do it's a slap on the wrist.

It's a job that lures people in with bad intentions as they know they can make a lot of money on the inside and manipulate often they just encourage the inmates to practice the same behaviors they had on the outside just now under their thumb.

It's a broken justice system and people don't really care.

top topics

join