It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ''Women and Children'' First Rule - What's Your Take on That?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think the rule should be "families with children first". I hate to see a young child lose their father (or mother for that matter). But of course the ideal scenario would be that there would be enough life boats for everyone to survive. It makes me sick that one of the men responsible for the lack of life boats on the Titanic survived by worming his way onto one while so many others died.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I absolutely believe in the "children first" rule because they're children.

As for women first, that is simply a rule strictly from a biological imperative. The fact is that in a strict survival numbers game, women are more important because of the way we reproduce. A woman usually carries only one child at a time, and it takes a year before she can reproduce again, whereas a man can impregnate a woman and then procreate again a moment later.

With 7 billion of us, though, the women first part of that goes out the window. That's my opinion, anyhow.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Of course! Women and children first always! Men that don't agree are cowards and lacking testostorone... whether they have children or not... if they don't agree that women and children should be first they lack serious testicles and should be removed from the gene pool...when i was watching the Haiti crisis and saw grown men pushing children and women out of the way to get food for themselves i was sickened... how can you call yourself a man? Biggest turn-off in the world!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Obviously you're mother gave you too much Soy milk as a child

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by inanna1234

I agree with your point that it's cowardly for a man to push women and children out of the way in order to save themselves. However, I just wonder would the thought "my children need me" ever go through the heads of some of the men (fathers) who agree with the "women and children first" rule. Would you think about the fact that your children would have to cope with losing their father if you sacrificed yourself? This is why I agree with the "families with children first" rule the most.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

It's not about my children need me. It's about a man having way more physical strength then the average women and child! Women and children need to get to safety first because they have less physical strength on average! The goal is for everyone to survive!!!!!! A man has a better chance against fighting a physical challenge then the above

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If women and children go to safety first more people survive!!! Because men are generally stronger and defend themseleves better.

In famine situations mothers and female children often starve because most of the food goes to the stronger males who need to keep strength to bring in more food and protect them!
edit on 30-4-2011 by inanna1234 because: Added more info

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This thread reminded me of this scene from Seinfeld. FIRE!

edit on 30-4-2011 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by inanna1234
Of course! Women and children first always! Men that don't agree are cowards and lacking testostorone... whether they have children or not... if they don't agree that women and children should be first they lack serious testicles and should be removed from the gene pool...when i was watching the Haiti crisis and saw grown men pushing children and women out of the way to get food for themselves i was sickened... how can you call yourself a man? Biggest turn-off in the world!

To be honest if I was trying to get food and water for my kid I'd probably knock anyone out of the way too. I guess for this reason I would be on the life raft with my family until I knew they were safe.

Once I've done my job as a parent and made my kid self sufficient I will then be able to be selfless and make sure everyone else is safe.

They say hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... they obviously didn't take into account fathers protecting their daughters...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Great to know you would push four year old children out of the way so you could give your daughter water 30 minutes earlier then everyone else... Your an amazing man... Your mother would be proud

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crkking
reply to post by aboveATS

Its called being a man. In doing so you accept certain unwritten responsibilities, to protect and defend those that cannot. Of course self preservation is important, but If I can die saving others or, I'll opt for honor.

Right....../sarcasm. Being a man has nothing to do with being a Matriarchal slave. I could understand sacrificing ones life for a child or for another human being, but the inherently gendered aspect I find disturbing.

For starters I couldn't help but noticing most of those enthusiastic Matriarchal slaves types come from the South. I have been worked in the hotel business for a few years and met people from different walks of life and regions.

One thing I noticed is Southern women tend to wear the pants and look down on men in general(I see it time and time again with Southerners around the Tennessee/surrounding states. Heck I see it with my bro-in law that is an anglo american[actually I only ever seen the extreme side as advocated by the guy above in anglo's..]).

It is kind of like how sometimes people will ignore, look down on women when asking for directions or something similar but reversed.

Kind of like in Star Trek Deep Space 9 with the Skrreean people. Also I think it is bad and dangerous in a society that strives for equality for males to show deference to women as a matter of cultural norms. Because all it leads to is a situation where in order to compensate for being second class citizens, males begin to perceive manhood as some kind of extreme macho-ism. I see it again with men from the South. This one southern guy couldn't get the key card to work so began a rant of "what a dump" and other insults while I calmly tried to explain to him how to get it to work and in the end I had to open the door for him(and he had a macho "I don't want the key" type attitude because he couldn't be man enough to admit he was wrong).

To me manhood and other gendered constructs are for inferior people. Some people just can't get beyond their biological limitations. I could understand some chauvinism towards a woman you loved(also in reverse from a womans perspective), but deference to all women? no way.

This isn't the 1800's anymore and there is over 6 billion people on the planet. That is the problem with our society, women have boatloads of rights but no meaningful responsibilities(+ it leaves the door open for traditionalist's to pull back women's rights). And without meaningful responsibilities some people can't really reach their full growth potential. Society still treats women as perpetual children.

Think about that last sentence, because that is where the mindset of "women and children" came from. The fact that back then women where legally and socially viewed as perpetual children. Thus a man, a human being viewed as an adult was expected to sacrifice their lives for those viewed as "children".

As for me? I prefer to stick with human ideals. Man or woman, it doesn't really matter. We all have the capacity for good and evil in us. We all have the capacity to become more then what we are.

edit on 1-5-2011 by korathin because: there for their error

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

I have never been to the Southern United States but honestly, I find that real men are starting to dwindle... I'm not attracted to guys who over groom themselves like women or wear pink fitted shirts... I like men who aren't afraid to get dirty and are handy... I can't help it, it's built in me by nature

I think real men are on the decline because of all the soy in processed food. Soy acts like estrogen.. there are many medical studies that giving young babies too much soy milk can rewhire their brains into gay males... google it... theres a lot of scientific research about it... they can even grown man boobs

I was listening to a radio show and they were talking about how hockey players have the hottest wives... they were saying it was because the guys are very tough... they go and break their jaws and still keep playing...
edit on 1-5-2011 by inanna1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by crkking
reply to post by aboveATS

This one southern guy couldn't get the key card to work so began a rant of "what a dump" and other insults while I calmly tried to explain to him how to get it to work and in the end I had to open the door for him(and he had a macho "I don't want the key" type attitude because he couldn't be man enough to admit he was wrong).

O.K.
That is not being a man... that is called being a baby...I don't understand how you can confuse that with being a man? Do you know what a real man is?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

reply to post by korathin

I have never been to the Southern United States but honestly, I find that real men are starting to dwindle... I'm not attracted to guys who over groom themselves like women or wear pink fitted shirts... I like men who aren't afraid to get dirty and are handy... I can't help it, it's built in me by nature

I think real men are on the decline because of all the soy in processed food. Soy acts like estrogen.. there are many medical studies that giving young babies too much soy milk can rewhire their brains into gay males... google it... theres a lot of scientific research about it... they can even grown man boobs

I was listening to a radio show and they were talking about how hockey players have the hottest wives... they were saying it was because the guys are very tough... they go and break their jaws and still keep playing...

Like I said, I view people who are trapped by their biological programs to be a little better then wild animals. Thus shaming tactics won't work because from a sexual point of view it would be like bestiality. As for the medical/science side of things, yeah.. I see a lot of those guy's and it makes me sad.

Guy's who have no shame in crying to get their way, yuck(I actually can't stand that behavior regardless). But there is nothing wrong with some vanity, as long as it doesn't go to the extreme.

But the behavior your describing is on the decline mostly because of social conditioning, the estrogen based carcinogenic found in soy has only a minor effect.

If you want further understanding into the social conditions responsible look up "marriage strike" and other similar materials.

But if you want to be treated like a perpetual child then you have to accept the limitations of rights that goes along with that. Other wise it leads to a situation of mass social unfairness, which in turn leads to social collapse/dark age.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The reason it seems right is because it is the imperative of our DNA.

And it is the right thing to do.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Who said anything about rushing for food?

I was referring to everyday life in society.

We cannot properly discuss the issue because OP never proposed a situation, so we've got some people thinking of emergency situations while others are talking about general politeness.

Manners and politeness are everyone's privileges around me, not just women and certainly not a woman or girl who expects to be catered to. Good luck finding your prince princess!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Technically, it should be "women and children" first. It really should read "responsible adult and children first". By that, I mean if you are a single dad with lots of children who love daddy more than mommy, then by all means, they should go together. Thank you.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Thankfully I already found him! I thought the "women and children first rule" meant the titanic rule...women and children go first to safety in emergency situations because men are physically stronger and able to defend their own?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Totally agree with you

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If your going to think under the titanic mindset then keep in mind there was never enough life boats to begin with.
If the idiots that designed the boat actually made enough life boats, then the woman and children wouldve gotten on first and been out of harms way then the men could have followed suit. When the woman and children first rule comes into play this is usually the scenario that follows. Im a woman, so i guess its quite selfish to say i like this rule. lol
Still, what happened on the titanic was pretty horrific and after watching the movie it really dosent seem fair does it?

overall i dont think theres anything wrong with the rule at all though. Its just gender roles, when gender roles create some sort of discrimination and ruin equality then yes i think theres a problem.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join