It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shed a Tear: The Age of Broadband Caps Begins Monday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

Umm Bell and ATT ..umm no such agency ...no ?

NoSuchAgency

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Boycott AT&T. I will say it a billion times. You aren't pleased with the BS service you are provided with? Then STOP using the service. This is why I rely on local companies, and not these huge conglomerate giants. Why don't people stop crying about things they don't like and DO something about it? If you don't want a bandwidth cap, don't subscribe to AT&T.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

yup, definatly, or become a Wi-Fu master.
i have never, i repeat, never had to pay for internet,
even when i was still on dial-up.

lets see ATT try and cap/restrain me.

though it all sounds like TCOTBIP are trying to force-wean us off internet,
i wonder why?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

This is a sore spot with me. I cant believe this news article. Since I live in the sticks I am forced to pick between Wild Blue and Hughes, they slow me down to below dial up speed if I use more than 300 MB a day. Their trick is to make me pay 7 bucks to speed myself up again raising my internet bill from 70 bucks to 100.00. Highway robbery! I just made this comment on a thread last night. I must wait until 11:00 P.M, which is 2: A.M New York time before watching many videos. Now they are doing this to non satellite users? Wow, we should call the attorney general. It worked with Direct TV.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
this is my problems with this because i am had my run ins with my own isp

i got a phone call one day telling me i was using it too much i was like what? so whatever right so then i upgraded my connection for 50.0 slow compared to fios but since i cant get fios i have to deal.

now my problems with cap limits is this :

how do they calculate it? they make their own rules.

lets say i goto to any website that offers movies downloads right depending on the cap thats maybe 1 -5 movies a month.

now see the problem?

heres the funny part if you goto youtube and other video streaming sites your still downloading content aka data

and yet the isps dont flag that as going over the cap limit.

some months i download 350-600 gigs and that is really only limited to two things the content i want and my hard drive space and since i never deleted most of my content i just get another drive.

back to the cap limits its absolute crap so they get to charge you for over usage and thats all it is.

they make money off the monthly service and the little old granny who just use it for emial while other people use it the the absolute limit which is what i do i want my moneys worth and i make damn sure i get it.

caps are rip offs they do this crap because they can.

those jerks.
edit on 30-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerenityGained
Isn't this a good thing though? It's like your mum limiting your TV exposure when a kid.

Maybe time to get outside and enjoy life, rather then using the net?

Maybe you should mind your own business? Ill decide what is "good" for my family thank you very much,

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki
Boycott AT&T. I will say it a billion times. You aren't pleased with the BS service you are provided with? Then STOP using the service. This is why I rely on local companies, and not these huge conglomerate giants. Why don't people stop crying about things they don't like and DO something about it? If you don't want a bandwidth cap, don't subscribe to AT&T.

It won't do you much good, because most ISPs send their data via AT&T anyway....

This will be the new norm everywhere..... Get used to it

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by tristar

though it all sounds like TCOTBIP are trying to force-wean us off internet,
i wonder why?

So we dont start a broadband Militia.

I read the weirdest thing yesterday on the web a bit off topic but it said "free Welfare Cell phones" from the GOVERNMENT. I can think of 2 possibilities. One to moniter or tracking device or 2 even poor people will need to sign up to the NWO and become electronic to buy and sell with their RFID chip implanted in their hand, I'm sure those phones come with them plus a nice barcode. Why would they do this? Those phones say they get 250 free minutes a month, all free, including the phone from Big Brother! They cant moniter you with WIFI, It's also nice youve never had to pay for internet service. I need to know your tricks. I'm most surprised about AT&T go anywhere plan.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I didn’t know they had a fair access threshold in town. It’s never been a problem before. They want your money for you to BUY your speed back or reload your daily allowance of MB.

I'm sure youtube will fight it, after watching about 7 videos they punish me by slowing me down for 24 hours so it forces me to BUY myself back in and reload the daily threshhold. It makes me VERY angry.

I didn’t know they had a fair access threshold in town. It’s never been a problem before. They want your money for you to BUY your speed back or reload your daily allowance of MB. If there was a shortage why can you pay them off to get sped up again? A scam if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

oops, I forgot. It isnt only AT&T it is also Comcast and other large City providers.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
canada and the united states, two of the most modern countries in the world. yet we got some of the slowest, most expensive, and restrictive internet on the planet. why can't people like anonymous hack these companies?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I have a question. How much "bandwidth" or whatever would a game like world of warcraft use per hour?

the article said streaming HD netflix was upwards of 2.3 gig per hour.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I believe "big business" supports "big business" and "online gaming" is "HUGE BUSINESS" I don't think caps are practical in any sense what so ever. AT&T is actually signing their subscriber death-bed by capping. I would think that ANY ISP that decides to cap would also nail their own coffins shut in terms of client base.

I can't think of anyone who would willing subscribe or contract to a company that caps their online use for any reason what so ever.

The gaming industry is responsible for a large majority of the "distraction" needed to effectively control "capable populations" ie: the younger generations. I don't think TPTB would hinder their ability to "time sink" and "money sink" people at the same time by taking away the practical ability of things such as World of Warcraft and PS3/XBOX Call of Duty to effectively render people "artificial"...

A cap of any sort would significantly hurt the online gaming industry enough to almost completely eliminate any interest in it by consumers, investors, and designers....

I would think the success of such things as COD and WOW in terms of capitalistic revenue would make concepts such as broadband cap moot.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The biggest problem I have encountered on over-using MB is I'm a gamer. Playing games will be nipped. No one wants to wait until midnight to play games. I got around this by complaining so now they only allow me to play Zynga games without being slowed down or punished for going over. I think Zynga also complained they will lose a lot of dough. One of my games shoots through 400 MB in a very short time.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
I have a question. How much "bandwidth" or whatever would a game like world of warcraft use per hour?

the article said streaming HD netflix was upwards of 2.3 gig per hour.

That's another problem, maybe the cable companies are getting upset. No more streaming video movies, yes they shoot through over 2.3 gigs per hour. Not sure if it's less with torrent files.
edit on 30-4-2011 by wonderworld because: edit spelling

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I was under the impression that online gaming (World of Warcraft, etc) didn't really use THAT MUCH bandwidth. You can look at this thread on another website where those game users discuss broadband caps and gaming.

I think at this point, the people paying 60-100 bucks a month for internet to use solely for their MMORPG addiction, wouldn't mind even an extra 50 a month to sustain that addiction.

I remember back in the 90s when I played a "MUD" called Gemstone. The internet was pay-per-minute back then, and it took a significant amount of time to make progress in the game, so you could easily spend a couple hundred of dollars a month gaming. I'd hate to see the internet revert to that, especially after this unlimited spree we've been enjoying for well over a decade. It's almost like they gave everyone a taste of the true, unbridled internet, and slowly want to put their controls back into place where we have to pay to access certain features or certain amounts of information or entertainment. It is truly repugnant.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

dial-up involved the using of a account used by phone technicians received as payment for repairing a guys computer.

and for all your Wi-Fu needs: www.backtrack-linux.org...

there is a thread on sat hijacking somewhere here on ATS

free phones

when will people learn that nothing is for free?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

yeah man high definition content and high def gaming changed the name of game on them

when internet tv takes off and a huge way sorry bout our luck isp imposed caps.

its total garbage.
edit on 30-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Isn't this a good thing though? It's like your mum limiting your TV exposure when a kid.

let the awareness campaign end...........good idea

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

You know there's more to the internet than mindless entertainment? Some of us depend on it for education, some of us depend on it for work. Some of us might not bloody like being told how much we can use.

Think of the implications, for Christs sake. We're talking about the one free source of on-demand information and broadcasting being priced out for the majority, controlled by proxy by some faceless Corporate types.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join