It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shed a Tear: The Age of Broadband Caps Begins Monday

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Another person offers their 2 cents who knows nothing about the industry.
Stoping caps and over limit fees is about as possible as living without air , NEVER gonna happen.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

THis is what happens when you DON'T regulate corporations. Only America has to put up with this BS. We've done it to ourselves.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SerenityGained

ses you saying that on the internet

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Scytherius

You don't get it!
The big BIG companys all over the world OWN the cable in the ground, all ISP companys LEASE the bandwidth from the big companys and resell to the public! WORLD WIDE!!!!!!!!!!

Along with the cable the big companys OWN the "Right of Way Rights"
edit on 4-5-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I get At and t on the phone finally and they said that yes they have done this. Then the girl said I needed to talk to the tech people about it. I get over there and he told him what has been happening with my internet. I asked him if anything to do with internet cap he got silent. He said how did.. did you ... then he said hold on. He disconnected me. Was this something customers weren't supposed to know about it because I did not get anything in the mail about this or e-mail!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I just confirmed that not all employees at AT&T knew about this! This has been in effect since April 20,2011.

Monthly Activity 150 GB- 250 GB
Send/receive one page emails 10,000 emails

-and-

Download/upload a medium resolution photo to social media site like Facebook

150 Gb 3,000 photos

250Gb
4,000 photos

-and-

MP3 Songs downloaded
150gb 2,000 songs

250gb- 3,000 songs

-and-

Stream a one-minute YouTube video (standard quality) 5,000 views

-and-

Watch hour-long TV Shows (high quality)
150gb 100 shows

250gb 200 shows

-and -

Stream full length movies (Standard Definition: SD; High Definition: HD)
150 Gb 20 SD or 10 HD movies
250 gb25 SD or 13 HD movies
(att.com)

This info comes from an e-mail that I requested. Now this may be seem like a lot but I found out I am already up to 25 GB in a weeks time. This will mainly effect Netflix and YouTube users or heavy downloader/uploaders. Now if you watch anymore than 50 movies a month you have already used up most of your usage. Another problem is you have more than one e-mail account. I would suggest opting out of everything you can. I am not sure what to do about spam e-mail but I get at least 100 spam e-mails per week. Is you go to myusage.att.com you can check out you usage there. Just type in your att email and password.
I am providing this informaton because I believe this is a customer's right to know. They claimed they have sent you something but they are lying. They want you to upgrade your services to U-verse which is more expensive. This is a very sneaky way of making people pay more or at least scaring people to pay for services they can't afford. The last customer service rep I talked to asked me a whole lot of questions about this because she did not know much. She did not know the cap was already in effect. This is going backwords because we accept this now they may try to even sneakier things. Who's to say the might not start charging per web site or have different packages. A company has blatently lied to use and now what do we do? Any ideas because they will all be doing this soon.

edit on 4-5-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Note this is paraphrased information this is why I did not quote it. It is from my personal e-mail.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have tried to make this simple , but it has failed to sink in.

The biggest complainers of caps and usage fees are bandwidth Hogs.
Their usage is for their own entertainment purposes, not work and not schooling or research.
The network is not capable of providing everyone with unlimited access and bandwidth.
It comes down to supply and demand. There is not enough demand for the industry to spend the money to increase the supply , when they are still trying to make sure everyone has just access.
Down loading music , movies, and books and playing online games is a luxury and your gonna pay extra for it.
You want to drive a luxury car at a econo car price, good luck.
Government regulations are not going increase the bandwith and the gov. is not going to pay for the upgrade.
What the gov. WILL do is add city, state and federal taxes to your monthly bill and a tax for over usage.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

I only watch 30-60 netflix movies in one month. This is a lot less than the average american watches on TV. I pay for unlimited Netflix streaming. This is my main concern is that ATand T is taking advantage of cable being too expensive and everyone going to Netflix or Hulu. I don't have many luxeries and Netflix is one. I can afford it so I don't see why I can't enjoy it to the fullest benefit.
What about spam that fills up a person's inbox a person has little control over than. As you can see between netflix and spam an average to slightly above average user can easily go over this limit. I don't believe in limited internet. This is more about ATand T trying to push a more expensive product; their u-verse internet and TV. The cable companies want to put Netflix out of business. It is that simple.
These companies admit only 2% of users go well above this limit. I don't dowload anything except for uploading to you tube and streaming video. I am now suddenly targeted as high user. It is not fair when I can't really afford their u-verse prices. Just because I am not rich does not mean I can't have one luxery. This is just punishing and targeting the poorest due to the fact they can't afford cable. I bet those people who can afford cable do not have this problem. Typically Netflix is a replacement for cable. Everytime I am on the phone with AT&T rep they try to push their U-verse services on me. I heard they want to replace DSL with u-verse but not enough people are switching over.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Actually if you think about Netflix users are being charged twice. Once for their unlimited account at netflix and second for their bandwidth use. If a Netflix users using his or her account as truly unlimited then he or she will pay an extra $10 per each 50Gb he or she goes over. Say this is a family; they pay $14.99 so they have the ablity to watch Netflix on 2 devices at a time. There are 4 family members who watch 30 movies per month at 2 hours each; at around 2 gb per hour. Total they watch 120 movies x2 = 240. They would have to pay an extra $10 making their actual Netflix costs $24.99 if they happen to go over by 10 GB more than they would pay $34.99. So then they decide to do u-verse so they don't have to worry about that cap so much now they are paying $35 for internet +14.99 for netflix. Before they had DSL at $14.95 for the same speed. Do you see AT&T wins out here they get more money it double the customers internet bill.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NE1911

en.wikipedia.org...

The Alexander Graham Bell Laboratory, also variously known as the Volta Bureau, the Bell Carriage House, the Bell Laboratory and the Volta Laboratory

In 1925 Western Electric Research Laboratories and part of the engineering department of the American Telephone & Telegraph company (AT&T) were consolidated to form Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc., as a separate entity.

Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc., was then renamed AT&T Bell Laboratories, Inc., and became a wholly owned company of the new AT&T Technologies unit, the former Western Electric.

A lot of good information if you follow the link in regards to AT&T, Bell and a few others.

Harm None
Peace

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

From what I understand of it, as cable TV is too expensive (can you give me an example of how much does it cost?), people buy another service, Netflix.

AT&T or any other ISP is not responsible either for the price of cable TV (unless they also have that service) or for you wanting to watch movies on the Internet, you are the one that decided to pay two different companies for two different services.

It's the same thing as if you rented a car with a fixed amount of fuel that you could use each month. If you decide to use the car for other things and end up consuming more fuel than allowed then you just have to pay for it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
guys just do what i do! borrow* internet from hotels! (i work at night at a hotel and do most of my LEGAL downloading there)
edit on 8-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: *

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join