It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shed a Tear: The Age of Broadband Caps Begins Monday

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hi;

I admit I have not finished reading the entire thread, but I have a question. Does anyone know iif verizon
fios has plans to do the same?

Thank you for your time. Great thread sucks that it contains bad newsA

Pax

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

haha they should at least get a good price on all that scrap copper

In Australia they finally announced the National Broadband Network

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4131a2054898.png[/atsimg]

Q1 What is the NBN?
A The National Broadband Network (NBN) project is an Australian Government initiative which will deliver high-speed broadband to all Australians. The NBN is a new, wholesale-only, open access, high-speed broadband network.

The NBN will involve the laying of fibre optic cabling to 93 per cent of Australian homes, schools and businesses, providing broadband speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps), or up to 100 times faster than many people experience today. The remaining premises will be connected via a combination of next-generation, high-speed wireless and satellite technologies providing peak speeds of at least 12 Mbps .

The government has established a new company, NBN Co Limited, to design, build and operate the new National Broadband Network

NBN

NBN Co.

They plan for it to take about 4-5 years and cost about 40 Billion to run Fibre to 96% of all Australian homes.

Would you prefer to spend money on something like that or more fighter jets and bombs??

These are types of things you should be asking your government for, along with health and education. Copper and Hybrid Co-Axial will only last so long.
edit on 1-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Your standard backbone is an OC 192
A standard metro network is an OC 48
For the common bandwith hog a DS3 is more than enough call your local phone company for a quote.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I'm pretty happy with what i have now, it's ADSL2+ i get upto 20mbp/s which is still good enough to stream movies and download an entire movie within an hour.

Although as per my above post the Australian govt is planning and rolling the national broadband network with fibre to 93% of all homes in Australia and speeds upto 100mbp/s.

Some places have fibre now but not the majority. I'm looking forward to fibre lines, in the long run it will be cheaper to run than copper lines, more efficient and much faster.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

The lowest level of fiber is a DS3 or an STS1 so really I don't believe all of Aus. is on Fiber, maybe some areas.
So good for you.

93% of the homes in 10 years .Sorry 4 to 5 years.
Saying it and doing it are 2 different things.
Big projects never go past there due date and over budget in Australia ?

i
edit on 1-5-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

not yet, it was only announced last year, the rollout has began but it will take 4-5 years to complete, maybe more.

It will be using Gigabit Passive Optical Network to the premises. This show's how it will work, it seems you have an interest in fibre internet etc so you might like and understand this sort of thing... hmm i think im drifting off-topic though so this will be my last post in here.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e25a85db8f68.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4b21816c0a8.jpg[/atsimg]\

Source: NBN Co. Network

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Let's hope it doesnt take that long
but i know what you mean when it comes to government contracts and deadlines...

Although at least they have started it;

Significant progress has been made on the National Broadband Network implementation. The first NBN services commenced in August 2010 in the three Tasmanian Stage 1 communities of Scottsdale, Smithton and Midway Point. Tasmania Stage 2 construction in Sorrell, Deloraine, George Town, St Helens, Triabunna, Kingston Beach and South Hobart will begin in early 2011.

Under Stage 3, another 90 000 premises will be connected in Hobart, Launceston, Devonport and Burnie.

On the mainland, as at December 2010 Nextgen Networks has completed two-thirds of the 6000 km fibre optic cable roll out of the Australian Government's $250 million Regional Backbone Blackspots Program. The program will benefit 400 000 people across six states and territories, to 100 regional locations, including the key locations of Geraldton, Darwin, Broken Hill, Victor Harbor, Emerald, Longreach and south west Gippsland.

Work is well underway in rolling out the fibre network on the Australian mainland. Construction has already begun on the first release sites. Advanced planning is underway on the second release sites, and construction will begin in the first half of 2011. The first and second release sites will be used test network design and construction methods and will provide crucial information to inform the rollout of the NBN.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
After 30 years in telco I know those diagrams do not show the reality of time it takes and the work that is need to make it happen. Most designers don't step out of their office.
I have spent hours on the phone trying to explain to design engineers why what they want can't happen because , they NEVER came out to the site, wether it's inside a building or outside.
Pictures are nice it's reality thats hard to look at.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ResearchMan

Ummm no, not true at all.... I am into digital art, the last painting I finished, and uploaded to my online storage was almost 2 gigs. 3D scenes I upload can reach up to 20 gigs or more for complex scenes. There are many reasons that people could burn through a lot of gigs a month, without doing anything illegal.....

Unfortunately I now live in canada, only rogers or bell to pick from in my area. Both are capped, in NY I got really fast unlimited internet for 50 a month. I miss that. 12gb download speed and 4gb upload speed was really nice.
edit on Sun, 01 May 2011 22:10:21 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Do you have a personal or business plan?

I'm not sure what plans they offer in Canada but i used to work for Telstra Business in Australia and i know that all the business plans had free uploading ( it didnt count towards your monthly usage ) it only took downloads into account.

You should speak to the business section of your provider and ask if they have any plans that include free / unlimited uploading.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Hmmm, well it couldn't hurt to give them a call and ask at least.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You never know

I had a look at the Bell and Rogers.CA sites but all i could see was biz plans of upto 300Gb per month, there was no mention of the uploads and whether or not it's counted.

They should have something though, there are many business' that are similar to yours that have massive uploading and sharing.

lol as you can tell i am bored and having a quiet day in regards to skimming the Bell site...

Anyways goodluck with it.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
This really makes me angry because I subsribe to netflix and watch you tube only because cable TVs prices are so high.
I wasn't understanding all that Netflix talk until I saw your post.

Here in Portugal all cable TV companies are also ISPs, so they provide TV (either through cable or ADSL), phone and internet, so there's no competition between Internet and TV.

You don't see them doing this with cable TV where you are only limited to so many hours of TV before you are charged more money!
And that's another thing I didn't know.

The cheapest cable TV plans are limited in the number of channels they provide, not in time.

Most cable TV plans are around 30 Euros per month for some 100 channels, with some 5 to 10 HD channels.

I guess being a small country has its advantages.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer
Gosh with constant downloading the most I've managed was 80gb in a month there is no way you can have a normal life if u manage to dl 250gb in a month. That's insane... When you reached this cap you have to go look in the mirror and realize its time to get a life!

I work about 50 hours a week, day and night and more at weekends, I can download 50gig a DAY.........
You dont have to sit and stare at a download.....

Edit/Add:
I have 6 people in my house, 4 adults.
2 of these adults are 2 teenage boys, plus my wife and I.
I have 50MB and I can download 200gig a week.
I now have 5 terrabite's of hard drive space, all USB one's.
I download a LOT of TV and Movies and Music (Legally)

I think a lot of single people here who done download much need to realise some people NEED unlimited/fast internet.

The 50mb package in the UK with Virgin Media is SUBERB !!!!!!!!!!!! And cheap as chips...
edit on 2/5/2011 by shauny because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

organizations to check up on price fixing......LOL

Ya, ok then. I don't trust those organizations at all when these huge corporations, making billions in profit, can throw a few million here and there to make governments turn away at the right moment.

Bell and Rogers would have had their way with eliminating the smaller ISPs if it wasn't for the fact that it is election time and people started getting pissed about these restrictions.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
Not picking on you. Sorry.
No one has any Idea of what the are talking about, especially those that you are arguing with.
I have over 30 yrs. in telcom, I have worked outside construction, inside central offices NODs , NOCs and cell phone security, I have installed pay phones to satellite systems.
And not one of you knows what you are talking about.
You have no clue what it takes to provide the service you think you deserve or have a right to, much less maintain it.

And for those that don't know OC 48 is optical carrier level 48 which is 2.488 Thousand Million bits per second.

I really don't see your point... You clearly don't understand big business. When you have a lot of money you can and are obligated to make very difficult things happen. I don't think very many people who are posting here think they have a right, at least in the literal sense, to this service. They just feel they are being treated unprofessionally. In other words, even if it is our fault in practical terms , in the business world, everything is the businesses fault, because things are not practical.
edit on 3-5-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

It is not a matter of throwing money at a problem. There are times when Engineers tell people and managers it can be done. Then the techs go out and have to report that it can't. Say, public thoroughfare is not available, not able to drill under a road, aerial cable will not work because of height restrictions.

Sometimes, it can't be done. Most of the times, it is not going to be done how the Engineers designed it.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

I understand big business, I never said I agree with it, just trying to help people understand the business.
Like any other business there are hurdles and road blocks and they are called government agencys and goverment regulations.
All phone companys have to allow any other company, even their competition, access to their wires and cables.
Your talking about thousands of miles of cable that the company paid to put in the ground and maintain daily ( L.A. to N.Y).
Sure there is an access fee but that again is goverment regulated.
It's like the goverment says the public can cut through your yard to get to the market behind your house, you can charge them only 1 cent.And since it is privite property you assume all liabilty.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Another thing that most of you don't understand is how telcom works. The best way to discribe it, is plumbing.

If you drain your bath tub with a straw it will take forever, the basic concept of speed is determined in the size of the pipe.
With fiber optics, the pipe is alot smaller as compared to copper wire and the speed and capacity is greater.
But to replace thousands of miles of cable will take years if not decades and cost billions.
Then there is the equipment to turns voice and data into light.... trasmit it at one end.... increase the signal several times along the way..........then turn the light back to voice and data at the other end where you watch your movies, play your games, download your music and talk to your mom.
So because there is not enough bandwidth to meet everyones needs , and there are bandwidth hogs who can't seem to get enough, they are going to pay for it with caps and slower download time so those who don't exceed limits , just have access .

I'll say this again, call your local phone company and get a quote for a DS3.

If you want more than enough band width your gonna pay for it.
edit on 3-5-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

Shed a Tear: The Age of Broadband Caps Begins Monday

www.wired.com

Come Monday, AT&T will begin restricting more than 16 million broadband users based on the amount of data they use in a month. The No. 2 carrier’s entry into the broadband-cap club means that a majority of U.S. broadband users will now be subject to limits on how much they can do online or risk extra charges as ugly as video store late fees.

AT&T’s new limits — 150 GB for DSL subscribers and 250 GB for UVerse users (a mix of fiber and DSL) — come as users are increasingly turning to online video such as Hulu and Netflix on-demand streaming service instead of paying for cable.

Wit
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
AT&T sets monthly limits on broadband use

This makes me wuv my local cable company that has a wuvly locally approved monopoly for cable and internet that is wuvily competing vs version dsl and all other phone companies! I hate to rub it in but my internet/cable company doesn't have a total cap, just a speed cap(which I think is more fair).

I get ten mbps for like 50$ a month. Thinking of upgrading it to 30 Mbps at 70$ish a month

And it ain't changing anytime soon because the company is always expanding, laying down new high fiber optic lines and just started their own digital phone service to compete vs vonage.

Your best bet is to start complaining to local and county elected officials. Get petitions signed and make it clear they won't be re-elected unless the caps end.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join