It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Hash Recipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Need to feed alot, inexpensively and healthy.. Heres a 10 minute recipe..

Fry up ground beef, with onions, green peppers, garlic and mushrooms (optional)
using sm roasting pan or one of equal size, add minute rice and crushed/diced tomatoes
add meat to rice and top with med can of tomato juice..
pop in oven for 30 minutes
DONE..

this is a quick meal that feeds many, can be used as side or full meal. Is great for dieters..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Oh...dang, I was expecting a recipe a little different...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by catiscurious

I absolutely love that dish!!!
I need to learn how to do it like you do.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
its very simple and super healthy and for those who need to be budget conscience or have fussy eaters.. this is a great recipe for you.. It is also a recipe that you may add other veggies to if you like, sometimes i add broccoli etc.. Very flexible recipe..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Welcome to ATS and how much rice and can I use regular rice?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
hello and thanks.. i have used other rice but ends up like mashed potatoes.. yuck.. if pre-cooked then added to your meat part, yes then other rice will work also.. Personally, i find the minute rice works the best. I use approximately half a box of minute rice when doing this recipe.. when put in oven at 350 for 35 to 50 minutes, make sure there is an inch of tomato juice on top.. absorbs perfectly.. enjoy

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by catiscurious

using sm roasting pan or one of equal size, add minute rice and crushed/diced tomatoes
DONE..

this is a quick meal that feeds many, can be used as side or full meal. Is great for dieters..

I make something similar with whole grain (more fiber) cooked pasta instead of the rice, omit the tomato juice, instead top with cheese (ok, not for dieters now). If it needs thickening, use some tomato paste.
Also good added in, is oregano or basil, or some other Italian style herbs.

If lots of meat is in there, you could also add in celery, and/or diced carrots.

Pre-cooked brown rice would be good too....

If the rice or pasta is precooked, oven time goes down to 15 - 20 minutes, depending on your oven.

**Looking at your recipe again, keeping in the tomato juice might work with uncooked pasta to save time, I've seen lasagne done that way, as long as there is enough liquid. hmmm
edit on 30-4-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by catiscurious

DONE..

I'm in culinary school to be a chef and I could not help but step in and clarify this recipe for some of our readers.

_-_-Please Read the whole post before attempting to make-_-_

First things first, let's identify the method of this procedure:
The act of cooking rice in an oven is known as the pilaf method. Otherwise there's the risotto (used for short grain rice) method and the simmer method (stove-top, long-grain).

The rice you should be using in this recipe should be of a long grain type. When using long grain rice, there is an important ratio to remember. 1cup of long grain rice will yield 2 cups of cooked rice. In order to cook the rice, you will need some sort of water/liquid for the rice to be able to absorb. The ratio is 2 cups of water/liquid : 1 cup of uncooked rice.

Now to approach this the right way. No offense to the OP.
First let's decide the quantity of people you are cooking for. Let's say 4 people. This way you can adjust the amount of ingredients you buy.
You will need:
1 cup of white long grain uncooked rice
1lb ground beef
1 large white onion Finely Chopped (around the size of a softball)
1-2 green peppers (chopped or 1/4" thin strips)
(pick any color if you want, but green will help keep your dish hold a spicy flavor better)
1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
5-6 mushrooms (thinly sliced, stocks can remain)
1 16oz can of diced tomatoes (save can for later use)
2-3 TBSP of veg. oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350*
You have a choice to brown the meat separately or with a technique called sweating your aromatics.
Aromatics in this recipe are: your onions, green peppers, mushrooms and garlic. Prepare the ingredients as suggested and place on the side.

If you browned the beef separately,
In an oven-safe pot, put a small amount veg oil on med-low heat. Let it heat up til it smooths out and turns clear. ***Never add water to hot oil to test temperature***
Add in your aromatics (onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic) Stir the ingredients and coat them with the oil. The importance of low oil heat is to extract flavor and aroma into the pan without browning and over cooking. (a.k.a. carmelization of foods).

To brown with your aromatics, spray the bottom of the pot with non stick spray and begin to brown the beef. The beef will start to release fat. Add in the aromatics as directed above. Turn the heat down to low and completely cover the aromatics with the fat.

Then stir in your rice and if necessary add oil if there is not enough to spread all over the rice. Coating the rice is a must but be sure not to add excess oil.

Once you have coated the rice, add in the can of tomatoes and stir to combine.

Still on low heat, add in 1 (16oz) can of water. Most importantly the rice should be covered.

Stir slowly and bring to boil raising the heat to medium high.

Once brought to boil, turn off heat, stir one last time, cover and place in the oven for 15-20min.

Check around 15 minutes in and test the rice.

When the rice is cooked through, take out, fluff rice with a fork and serve.

You can still optionally add the Tomato juice at the end or use that instead of water.

Enjoy!

~Dr.Rage

edit on 30-4-2011 by DrRage because: update

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Wow, thjat sounds fabulous also, will have to try that.. Do u have a preferred rice?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I usually use a long grain brown rice. The rice should be precooked though, it takes 40 minutes to cook the rice.

I like the whole wheat pasta with it the best.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
can always talk you thru it.. a reply to: DrumsRfun

top topics

join