It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious giant crater has opened up - Germany/ Usedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This does seem strange although I am sure there is a natural explanation. poleshift.ning.com...

Usedom: A 50 meters long and four meters deep crater has opened on the Baltic island. On the cause of the landslide still puzzled geologists

About 50 meters long and four meters deep! On the Baltic island of Usedom (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern), the earth has opened up. The gaping canyon looks like the little brother of the Grand Canyon in the USA.
www.bild.de...

edit on 30-4-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)
[edi tby]edit on 30-4-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Something big may be coming.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Misshapen sink hole maybe? I mean it doesn't look too mysterious to me, no disrespect. Maybe if there was some magma or something, then I'd feel all tingly inside. But this? This just makes me itch.
edit on 30-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is very cool. I love when things like this happen, because it's one more reminder that we don't know or understand everything, even on our own little planet. Nice share.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Cant find anymore news on this apart from the blog although the pictures on that site are very interesting. The soil looks very sandy so maybe due to an underground stream .

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
That looks like an erosional feature to me. Notice there is very little vegetation to hold the soil in place in the area just outside of the trench, which also terminates at a lake/pond.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Good find !!

With everything thats happening simultaneously around the world just now ... i'm not overly surprised.

Honestly .. if i woke up to news of another major earthquake tomorrow ... tsunami .. volcano eruption .. Hurricane .. Flood ... I genuinely wouldnt be surprised by any of these things any more ... Theyre half expected when i check my ATS RSS feed each morning ...

In UK, i dont really feel as directly threatened by these occurances, as other places in the world ... we generally just hear about places in England being flooded each year, and our weather cant make up its mind whats its doing any more ... but i suspect 'IF' tshtf .. it wont really matter where you are are .. lucky dip ..

Happy Thoughts !!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
This is very cool. I love when things like this happen, because it's one more reminder that we don't know or understand everything, even on our own little planet. Nice share.

Actually, I've heard of spontaneous crater formations like these before. To think the land always stays in one place would be silly, I'm sure there are already many scientific theories for how this type of thing can happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanYouHandleTheTruth

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Actually, I've heard of spontaneous crater formations like these before. To think the land always stays in one place would be silly, I'm sure there are already many scientific theories for how this type of thing can happen.

Got any links to stories of these "spontaneous crater formations" I've seen the sink hole ones but not this type of deep wide crack type not without an earthquake. I'm still thinking some kind of subterranean stream that has made the land above collapse.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I see it as more evidence of the expanding earth theory.

Wasn't one of these just posted in another thread in Iraq or somewhere around there?

Plus the one in Africa, and another I think in Minnesota ( I probably have the locations off, but they are all very recent).

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't know if it's the same phenomena that causes it but this one is much bigger..pothole..sinkhole...whatever.

Hmmm comparing the pics the OP one is very different, this really isn't my area of expertise so my apologies. Im sure an ATS member will be here soon to give you a scientific explanation.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
i agree with Julie Washington...it is just a normal part of our amazing expanding earth...the real question is why do scientists refuse to accept the obvious evidence?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Its coming and its going to be big, really big. It will probably be the biggest thing that anyone has ever seen or felt.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hi folks:

I did a few minutes of research on Usedom, and really this little feature is nothing of importance. Usedom is an "island" just off the shore of Germany and Poland. In reality, it's a glorified sandbar with a couple inlets channeled out to the north and south. These channels apparently allow them to call it an island. Here's the place:
maps.google.com...
(Pull back your view from the default to see the "island" completely)

I found a geologic map of the island, and it's a collection of sands and conglomerates and peat.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/206d3620efc3.jpg[/atsimg]

Any kind of water erosion to a feature like Usedom will very quickly change the shape of it. It's on the Baltic sea, so I image it has survived longer due to lack of strong ocean currents. Something like this facing open ocean could be created or eroded away in a single lifetime...or quicker, depending on storm patterns.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Apparently Usedom is well known for it's nude beaches...Hurry and book a trip before Usedom crashes under the Baltic waves in 2012!
www.google.com...

new topics

top topics

active topics

join