It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas bill would make invasive pat-downs a felony

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Texas bill would make invasive pat-downs a felony

www.caller.com

FORT WORTH — A former Miss USA’s claims of being groped during a pat-down at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport could be a felony under a bill gaining momentum in the Texas Legislature.

The bill would make it illegal for a security officer to intentionally touch someone’s private areas — even atop clothing — unless they have probable cause to believe the person is carrying something illegal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I wonder how far this legislation will actually get?
I know a few other states are trying to gain support for legislation of this type but as far as I know, none have passed yet.
I know that the incident at the Corpus airport involving a female passengers breasts being exposed, really pissed a lot of people off, so this bill really does have a chance to pass.

www.caller.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

I thought "probable cause" was always law..

The constitution is dead and the people need to bring it back to life.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I thought "probable cause" was always law..

The constitution is dead and the people need to bring it back to life.

I used to think so as well until I had to serve jury duty recently... apparently there is also "reasonable suspicion"

Wikipedia - Reasonable Susupicion

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I think thats the point of the bill, getting back to the basics of the constitution.
However, if this bill passes and other states do follow suit, the feds will find a way around it.
They will probably completely federalize all public transportation sites, they will turn airports into pseudo-military bases, this will allow them to do whatever they want once you pass the gate.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Man, I hope this Bill gets passed and sets a precedent for other States to follow suit.

I for one hate airports and avoid flying whenever possible. I will be taking a 5K mile road trip again this year to avoid flying.

We will just have to wait and see what happens, thanks for bringing this Bill to our attention.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
You know how I avoid being groped by the TSA? I take the bus, or the Amtrak!

And if everyone in America would follow suit they could avoid it as well.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
LOL you know what? If everyone stopped flying completely for a couple of weeks you'd see the airlines coming down on congress to change the bill because it interferes with commerce. A lot would change if people would just hit the right places. Don't assault an unjust law head-on. Hit it where it'll get the most attention, and involve the people with the loudest voice.

Empty airports = screaming airlines = angry lobbyists = pressure where it counts.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

Well, havent you seen the videos of the young boy being "patted down" AFTER exiting a train ride?
They are slowly but surely expanding the areas for these goons to operate in.
Not only are they now being placed in train stations and bus stations but there have been reports that they are also setting up on open roads, near tunnels or bridges.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Texas can pass the law; however, and unfortunately, most airports fall under federal jurisdiction. So, federal law would trump the state law.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I've never been searched getting on (or off) the bus but I have seen the videos and I am sure it will be coming eventually! Personally I am disgusted by it and believe that an old fashioned pat-down is just as effective as the full-on body massage the TSA gives at finding guns and weapons. The way they do it makes you think they are trying to find something extremely small, not really a bomb.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have been tracking this one and its sister bill regarding the scanner machines in a seperate thread from March.

Currently the "groping" bill has made it through it's first revision in committee as seen here: www.legis.state.tx.us...

Its sister bill regarding the scanners was "Left pending in committee" as seen here: www.legis.state.tx.us...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Texas can pass the law; however, and unfortunately, most airports fall under federal jurisdiction. So, federal law would trump the state law.

Technically DFW and other airports are the property of the State of Texas or are private groups operating under state oversight. The DHS can "try" tro impose themselves, but ultimately, they have no authority to force the issue, as far as I have read.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Good for Texas.

And folks wonder why the feds did not send one of the Space Shuttles to Houston or have been sitting on their hands regarding declaring a disaster emergency in Texas due to the massive wild fires.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Is the right to fly a Constitutionally protected activity?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is the right approach.

Although I am fairly certain that groping is already against the law.

Instead of the world trying to boil the ocean, we should deal with crime as it occurs.

Why is a criminal protected by the company that they serve? Don't attack the TSA. Attack the perverts.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Technically DFW and other airports are the property of the State of Texas or are private groups operating under state oversight. The DHS can "try" tro impose themselves, but ultimately, they have no authority to force the issue, as far as I have read.

ESPECIALLY, since the TSA are nothing more than security guards. They have no formal LE training

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Maybe not but the right against illegal search and seizure is.
Walking into an airport shouldnt automatically place you under a shroud of guilt.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Maybe not but the right against illegal search and seizure is.
Walking into an airport shouldnt automatically place you under a shroud of guilt.

Sure. Okay. But isn't an airport a private business? Aren't you submitting to their procedures when you walk in, just like entering, say, a private night club after being frisked by security?

It's definitely a gray area where 'public/private' mix, and I agree with the basic sentiment expressed in the thread, but I also think it's worth pointing out that no one 'has' to fly. It's a luxury and privilege.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
GO TEXAS!!! These pat downs and X-Rays are not needed to fight terrorism. The government is not even willing to secure the border. That tells you exactly how serious they are about fighting terrorism. THE GOVERNMENT IS THE TERRORIST. They are doing this for CONTROL, not to fight terror.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join