It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists arrested for opposing government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Earlier this month, the United Arab Emirates followed in the footsteps of its neighbours and arrested at least five rights activists who have been demanding political reforms over the Internet. Egypt-based rights organisations, including IFEX members Arabic Network for Human Rights Information (ANHRI) and Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS), have banded together to demand the release of the activists, while Human Rights Watch is appealing to international organisations to pull out of UAE.

Obviously another well formed democratic government...oops, my mistake, another family run business. I guess its become a new age fad similar to hoola hoops was in the 60's, so next time you come across a person who screams infidels and oppressors i suggest you link em up.

www.ifex.org...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Democracy at work
, although its no laughing matter, but all this media blitz and clamp down does tend to take me back in time similar to how Tunisia was before, the now Libyan conflict and obviously the upcoming Syrian issue.

I wonder if this was openly announced within the U.K. , U.S. , Aus. or across the E.U. would it simply bring down the running government.

Saudi Arabia tightens media laws

In turn, the royal order banned the "infringement of the reputation or dignity, the slander or the personal offence of the Grand Mufti or any of the country's senior clerics or statesmen".

King Abdullah has strengthened the security and religious police forces, which played a major role in banning protests in the kingdom.

According to the amendment published on Friday, punishments for breaking the media laws include a fine of half a million riyals ($133,000) and the shutting down of the publication that published the violation.

It also allows for banning the writer from contributing to any media.

english.aljazeera.net...

join