It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt intends to reopen Gaza crossing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Finally the Gaza strip is going to have its blockade broken, Egypt have decided for humanitarian reasons to open its borders with Gaza

[url]=http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle-east/egypt_intends_to_reopen_gaza_crossing/2011/04/29/AFlN4QHF_story.html?wprss=rss_homepage]Source[/ url]

CAIRO — Egypt plans to reopen a border crossing with the Gaza Strip as soon as possible, a spokeswoman for the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said Friday, worrying Israel and bringing an end to a blockade of the territory that had been deeply unpopular inside Egypt.

This is a major shift in Egyptian policy who have had close ties with both the US and Israel

Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak had pursued close ties with Israel during his 30-year rule, a course that was deeply unpopular with many in Egypt. But since Mubarak stepped down in mid-February, Egypt has been pursuing a new foreign policy path, intent on regaining its role as a regional power broker.

The reaction of western powers no doubt be somewhat varied depending on their allegiance to Israel, but the situation there could not continue the way it was.

Western diplomats have expressed concern over the past few weeks about the security situation in the Sinai region of Egypt that borders the Gaza Strip, with one calling it the “Wild West on steroids.” An explosion at a natural gas pipeline there earlier this week led Egypt to cut gas transmission to Israel and Jordan.

My own personal opinion on the matter is that it is about time the borders were opened again, to me the sealing of them was illegal, like many of the actions by the Israeli people, the continuing land grabs and settlements in breach of UN rulings. This shift in support from Israel to Palestine is very popular in Egypt, but no doubt very worrying in the Knesset. How things play out will obviously depend on the Israeli reaction, which so far has been muted. I can imagine that for now the US and Israel can keep pressure on so that the Egyptians only allow food, medicine and essential items through, if they continue to try and repress the Palestinians though then I believe they will start to allow arms through as well.

Israel is going to find its self more and more isolated if it continues its repressive ways. Its funny how Israel always reminds us of the holocaust and how they were treated under the Nazi regime, and have become the very thing they despise. I have nothing against Jewish people, or Arabic people I just have things against man's inhumanity to Man and Israel have been guilty of that for a long time. Hopefully seeing the erosion of their influence in the region Israel will curb its excesses and finally look to peace rather than confrontation.

Israelis propaganda is broken, the world sees them for what they are now, there is a shift in the power base in the region and even the US can't influence people the way they did, their are new governments in place and the US has to tread on thin ice, nor does it have the finances or the power it had before. The next few years are going to be very unstable I think

edit on 30-4-2011 by PrinceDreamer because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2011 by PrinceDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

There is already an existing thread in this same forum regarding this topic. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

AAh sorry, did a search but it didn't show

Mods please feel free to close this thread

new topics

join