It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hanging Coffins of Bo People

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Buckle up were off for another trip with sugarcookie1 were off to china!

Most ancient civilizations buried their dead under the ground, a few burned them on pyres. But there are some that placed bodies of the dead in coffins and hung the coffins on a precipice. Some of those are placed on wooden beams projecting out from rock, others are on the rocks themselves. Still others are merely placed in caves high up a cliff face. Some were even suspended on wooden stakes above the ground or stuck into the cliff face.

Examples are the Ba Hanging Coffins of the Three Gorges. Some of these are - or soon will be - lost forever as the waters of the river rise. That change was brought about by the Three Gorges River
Why this ancient people began this practice, or what significance it may have had for them, is not known. Some believe that suspending the body high above the ground confered honor. It isn't even known with certainty how they achieved some of the engineering feats involved in placing coffins so far up a cliff,Also i wonder if there is a link between the hanging coffins in China with the ones in the Philippines. Also are there more in other places? Could we be talking about a race of people moving from one place to another, leaving their marks behind?

Here is a Clip from documentary about the Bo People of China, who hung their coffins hundreds of feet up the side of cliffs. The film follows a team of archaeologists as they try to reach the coffins and find out how and why.

Cliff coffins are an ancient funeral custom of some minority groups, especially Bo people in southern China. Coffins of various shapes were mostly made with one whole piece of wood. "Cliff coffins" lie on beams projecting outward from structures such as mountains, are placed in caves in the face of cliffs, or sit on natural rock projections on mountain faces.

Some Images

Original Story

Thank you for flying air sugarcookie1. Hope you enjoyed your trip to china. Peace

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Interesting. I wonder if they did it because of flooding in the area washing the dead away or even leaving the bodies scattered about. The Three Gorges is where the Three Gorges Dam was built to control the terrible floods that hit China every year with the rains, I am not sure if they are monsoon rains or just heavy rainy season. But it could have been a practical reason like that...or not.

ETA: Ironic they will be washed away because of the Three Gorges Dam. Their dead can't get a break!
edit on 29/4/11 by spirit_horse because: add info

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
Interesting. I wonder if they did it because of flooding in the area washing the dead away or even leaving the bodies scattered about. The Three Gorges is where the Three Gorges Dam was built to control the terrible floods that hit China every year with the rains, I am not sure if they are monsoon rains or just heavy rainy season. But it could have been a practical reason like that...or not.

ETA: Ironic they will be washed away because of the Three Gorges Dam. Their dead can't get a break!
edit on 29/4/11 by spirit_horse because: add info

I dont know you might be right about the flooding ..I would think its over the monsoon rains but who knows but i thought it was interisting what they did with there dead~~thank you for the reply

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
wow, simply amazing.
S&F

I learned something today
cuz of this post

so thank you

now I have a question:

what happens when the wood rots away??
Do they have skeletons falling down cliffs ??

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I did enjoy my trip to china sugarcookie, thank you very much for the free trip and peanuts.

For such a morbid topic i find death and burial rites involved in different cultures is fascinating. And yay! I learned something new today, thanks again for the vids.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
wow, simply amazing.
S&F

cuz of this post

so thank you

now I have a question:

Thank you boon! I thought it was a diffrent kind of thread and its never been posted on ATS before its neat how the ancients hung there dead off cliffs who knew

when the wood rots the coffins just fall off the cliffs skeletons and all i hope there doing something with then like put them back up there in new coffins

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
I did enjoy my trip to china sugarcookie, thank you very much for the free trip and peanuts.

For such a morbid topic i find death and burial rites involved in different cultures is fascinating. And yay! I learned something new today, thanks again for the vids.

Thank you for viewing my thread
yes it is morbid but fascinating.what they did with the dead,,Im glad you learned something new today! extra peanuts for you

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

wow, simply amazing.
S&F

cuz of this post

so thank you

now I have a question:

Thank you boon! I thought it was a diffrent kind of thread and its never been posted on ATS before its neat how the ancients hung there dead off cliffs who knew

when the wood rots the coffins just fall off the cliffs skeletons and all i hope there doing something with then like put them back up there in new coffins

Im wondering if thats what they normally did until near by settlements become abandoned over the years. Just like how family members tend to their loved ones graves. I think the tradition should continue if the remains are left without anyone to tend to them.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420

wow, simply amazing.
S&F

cuz of this post

so thank you

now I have a question:

Im wondering if thats what they normally did until near by settlements become abandoned over the years. Just like how family members tend to their loved ones graves. I think the tradition should continue if the remains are left without anyone to tend to them.

Sounds like the higher these coffins were hung, the more important the deceased was considered when alive. Subsequently, the coffins that did fall was a sign of fortune. I dont think they do anything with them you just dont touch them when they fall..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Wow, i do love these tours. Im am buckled up.
Gday again Sugarcookie. What another fantastic journey my friend.
This was one tale i have never heard of before and it is an interesting one at that.
Its a wierd and wonderful world out there still, with lots more yet to be discovered. I cant wait to see what the scientist will make of this.
And Concerning whether these burial rituals could be related to the one's in the philippines is a possibility not to be discounted until DNA samples can prove otherwise. And to travel from China to The philippines is just following the coast line down.

Thanks again for your tour Sugar, i enjoyed the tour, so i left you a tip on my seat.

Just one complaint though, the food was pretty bad this time.
But i will return.
Take care mate.
Peace.
meathed.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
This was one tale i have never heard of before and it is an interesting one at that.
Its a wierd and wonderful world out there still, with lots more yet to be discovered. I cant wait to see what the scientist will make of this.
And Concerning whether these burial rituals could be related to the one's in the philippines is a possibility not to be discounted until DNA samples can prove otherwise. And to travel from China to The philippines is just following the coast line down.

Thanks again for your tour Sugar, i enjoyed the tour, so i left you a tip on my seat.

But i will return.
Take care mate.
Peace.

Hiya meathed!!

I'm so happy you decided to make the trip to china with me next time i will have champagne and strawberries but i had to economize gas for my plane trip went up

I just had that idea about if they could be related and thats true China to The Philippines is just following the coast line down so maybe they are..Thank you so much for posting

meathed.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

But i will return.
Take care mate.
Peace.

Hiya meathed!!

I'm so happy you decided to make the trip to china with me next time i will have champagne and strawberries but i had to economize gas for my plane trip went up

I just had that idea about if they could be related and thats true China to The Philippines is just following the coast line down so maybe they are..Thank you so much for posting

meathed.

Hiya mate.
Im always happy to jump on to one of your tours as i find you a pleasant host.

Champagne and strawberries sounds lovely.
I just hope there isnt another unforeseen fuel price rise

The idea you have had that the two could be related is a good one sugar, and as i said a very plausible one.
They just maybe related.
We "modern" humans still have alot to learn about our past and just how interconnected they were, so i can't wait to see the discoveries from our past that will come from investigations such as these.
Thanks again for showing me something new Sugar.

Your friend.
Meathed

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

But i will return.
Take care mate.
Peace.

Hiya meathed!!

meathed.

Hiya mate.
Im always happy to jump on to one of your tours as i find you a pleasant host.

Champagne and strawberries sounds lovely.
I just hope there isnt another unforeseen fuel price rise

The idea you have had that the two could be related is a good one sugar, and as i said a very plausible one.
They just maybe related.
We "modern" humans still have alot to learn about our past and just how interconnected they were, so i can't wait to see the discoveries from our past that will come from investigations such as these.
Thanks again for showing me something new Sugar.

Your friend.
Meathed

You always come and look at my threads and i think thats very nice thank you!
I think were more interconnected then they think we are and there slowly finding this out..
Im glad i could sshow you something new that made me smile

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Wow!
Never seen anything like that!

Amazing. Thanks sugarcookie!

As fascinating and amazing as it is...
It makes me wonder even more so than i usually do..
Why do we cling to these worthless bodies once the life has left them?

Why do we feel the need to keep the bodies around?

The funeral pyre has always seemed like the most logical, best idea to me.

In fact, I want to be placed on a funeral pyre when I am done with my own body...
Not stuck in a wooden (or any other) box, taking up space in a world where we are quickly running out of 'space'..
Not stuck into some furnace where millions of other people have been turned to ash in the same place...
No, Just toss my useless body onto a pyre made of nature.... and let it consume me. lol

Why we feel the need to pile up and hold onto all these useless , lifeless bodies is beyond me.
The only reason I can think of, is that we hold onto silly beliefs and illusions that we are forever 'taught'.

Imagine if EVERY culture did this...
We would be a cemetery/dead body collection planet.
No room left for anything but our old, useless dead bodies.

Sorry , Just had to get my thoughts out. lol

This is fascinating though...
Many thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

You always come and look at my threads and i think thats very nice thank you!
I think were more interconnected then they think we are and there slowly finding this out..
Im glad i could show you something new that made me smile

Your welcome sugar.
Your threads are always interesting mate, and i always learn something new from them, so i will always be jumping on your tours just to see where you will lead me to next.(Even if the foods bad
)
Take care friend.

edit on 30-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saintwhat happens when the wood rots away??

What happens before the wood rots away? Plague, not to mention the stink. Ever happened on a cat or something that had been dead more than a day? Ack!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
Wow!
Never seen anything like that!

Amazing. Thanks sugarcookie!

As fascinating and amazing as it is...
It makes me wonder even more so than i usually do..
Why do we cling to these worthless bodies once the life has left them?

Why do we feel the need to keep the bodies around?

The funeral pyre has always seemed like the most logical, best idea to me.

In fact, I want to be placed on a funeral pyre when I am done with my own body...
Not stuck in a wooden (or any other) box, taking up space in a world where we are quickly running out of 'space'..
Not stuck into some furnace where millions of other people have been turned to ash in the same place...
No, Just toss my useless body onto a pyre made of nature.... and let it consume me. lol

Why we feel the need to pile up and hold onto all these useless , lifeless bodies is beyond me.
The only reason I can think of, is that we hold onto silly beliefs and illusions that we are forever 'taught'.

Imagine if EVERY culture did this...
We would be a cemetery/dead body collection planet.
No room left for anything but our old, useless dead bodies.

Sorry , Just had to get my thoughts out. lol

This is fascinating though...
Many thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grizzle2

Originally posted by boondock-saintwhat happens when the wood rots away??

What happens before the wood rots away? Plague, not to mention the stink. Ever happened on a cat or something that had been dead more than a day? Ack!

I imagine it got very smelly but that high up on a cliff maybe it wasnt so bad im hopeing the air currents just took the smell away but who knows..thanks for the reply

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I have read up on the hanging coffin's of Sagada, and tried comparing them with the chinese one's that you showed and i think you are correct that there is a connection between the two.
Both cultures have been recorded as placing these coffins up over 2 thousand years ago.
And the reason's behind them, and the similarities between the two are to close too be a coincidence.
The Bo have apparently been driven out of china for thousands of years as they have been influential in china's growth and politics for good and bad over that time.
So i feel just like you do that the Sagada are a part of the Bo.
Only time and DNA will prove what is the truth.

edit on 2-5-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

reply to post by sugarcookie1

I have read up on the hanging coffin's of Sagada, and tried comparing them with the chinese one's that you showed and i think you are correct that there is a connection between the two.
Both cultures have been recorded as placing these coffins up over 2 thousand years ago.
And the reason's behind them, and the similarities between the two are to close too be a coincidence.
The Bo have apparently been driven out of china for thousands of years as they have been influential in china's growth and politics for good and bad over that time.
So i feel just like you do that the Sagada are a part of the Bo.
Only time and DNA will prove what is the truth.

edit on 2-5-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

Thank you for looking into to that meathed i kinda figure it wasnt a coincidence but i read an article a few days ago that said that the Sagada and Bo had nothing to do with each other but i think you and i are right on this one its to close to the time they were both doing this

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join