It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you enjoying your daily chemical cocktail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

This is a subject that (strangely) has concerned me since childhood. No, really, I can remember being 5 and giving my family crap about the stuff they ate. I also knew what carob was; what 5 year old knows what carob is? But I digress...

So I thought I would share my unbridled concern and paranoia with my brothers and sisters at ATS. I read this article today and it seems like things have gotten worse. I will link you to the main article but I was blown away by the kinds of waxes and plastics that our bodies are forced to deal with on a daily basis so I want to put up some of those quotes here...

One serving of Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants Berry Yogurt Crunch contains more than 13 different additives, preservatives, and food dyes, including Red 40 and Blue 1, which are known to cause allergic reactions in some people and mutations leading to cancer in lab animals. It also contains BHT, monoglycerides, and cellulose gum. In addition, conventional milk often contains residues of artificial bovine growth hormones, known endocrine disruptors as well as antibiotics used in industrial milk production.

Dannon Light & Fit Peach yogurt contains more than 11 different additives including Red 40, aspartame, potassium sorbate, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium.

A Subway sandwich of turkey and cheese on nine-grain bread with fat-free honey mustard, peppers, and pickles contains more than 40 different additives, preservatives, and dyes. The pickles and peppers have Yellow 5 and polysorbate 80, the bread has 10 different additives including dough conditioners, DATEM, and sodium stearoyl lactylate, and the turkey contains 10 additives as well.

The person in this example has consumed more than 60 food additives eating breakfast, a small snack, and lunch alone, to say nothing of dinner, dessert, further snacking, and drinks. Consumers Union's Dr. Hansen told me, "I wouldn't be surprised if it were up to 100 additives or more that people are taking in on a daily basis."

And it's not just food. A number of additional toxins also enter our systems from other industrial sources and often come in the form of phthalate plasticizers and parabens -- both of which are used in personal care products, some medications, and even foods and food preservation. Most Americans use some form of shampoo, soap, lotion, and antiperspirant every day, and these toxins, applied to the skin, are absorbed dermally.

According to a 2010 study, like BPA, parabens and phthalates can clear our bodies relatively quickly but only if we aren't exposed to them on a regular basis. The study states, "For serious health problems to arise, exposure to these rapidly-clearing compounds must occur on a daily basis." Phthalates are associated with infertility, obesity, asthma, and allergies, as well as breast cancer; parabens are a cause for concern regarding breast cancer.

Yikes! I have been relying on my own kitchen skills more and more due to monetary constraints so I eat these types of things very little but I do eat stuff that I am sure amounts to a cocktail a day for me as well.

That is one thing that I am looking forward to in terms of utter economic collapse; the food is going to get a whole lot better, tastier and healthier. I am already collecting recipes that remind me of the kinds of things the frugal cooks made and prepped their kitchens for during the depression era.

Anyhow, I hope you find the information to be useful. Bon Appetit!

Soure: www.grist.org...

edit on 29-4-2011 by Frater210 because: spellink.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Im sure most people are "Lovin' It" ahaha

No, but honestly we need more organics. I myself have went over to veganism.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I see it more and more every time I shop...advertising, etc. Marketing of healthy foods, but if one knows how to read the label,/understands it, they will see it's not healthy at all. Whereas it's not a new part of food advertising, it seems to be getting trickier, as with the ex. of organic food and what can and cannot be proven, as well as nanotech based foods, with labels that do not indicate what they really are.

Be weary of foods that say;
-Corn Syrup is healthy
-low fat/diet foods
-claims of antioxidants( I don't believe there's a regulation that says it has to be in the product) that are not normally present in the food
-processed-such as "processed cheese food" ie Kraft cheese singles marketed to children.
-have more ingredients than a food should have, if it makes you wonder chances are your suspicion is right.

No time like the present to;
-be conscious of what you put into your body, understand where it comes from/how it is grown/made
-grow your own veggies, meat, etc.
-make your own foods, breads for ex.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is pretty sad world we live in.

Since WWII we have been on a spree of spraying killing everything. These stupid people can't just let live, those bugs were helpful, killing them allows other bugs to take over and they destroy the crops.

And with the "Round Up" people want to kill all their Dandelions "Pssst, hey! you can eat that, and its good for you too!" Those are not weeds, they are food, free food too.
edit on 30-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 30-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Yummy!

check out my thread here..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

makes you wanna puke...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
here is my follow up thread..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Great thread! If only people would flip over the box and read the ingredients once in awhile! I eat nothing with preservatives, dyes, HFCS, nitrates, chemicals, GM, etc. It's expensive and time consuming sometimes, but "let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" has been my motto for years now.

I am happy to see a shift though, a lot are eating healthier and becoming conscientious. Food and medicine were never supposed to be about the bottom line! Let's take it back :]

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I've got my breadbuns rising on the stove as I type. Making your own bread is relatively easy. It takes some hard work to knead it (I've been told I am strong as an ox by someone, this is probably why!), but the smell alone is well worth it. I have some real problems finding good bread at the supermarket and can't always afford to shop at the farmers markets. Mostly the ingredients are sugars and syrups, but there are also alot of big strange names in them that really put me off. Making your own bread is much cheaper too.

Here is a recipe for "Amish friendship bread" which I think is a really good way to get your friends into cooking for themselves and reviving that old way of life, both socially and practically. It is basically a sour dough starter that you "feed" to keep the yeast alive. I have heard of people keeping theses starters going for twenty years or more. Definately a good thing to have in a food shortage type scenario. You need very few cheap ingredients to keep it going.
www.momswhothink.com...
www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I dined on uber-tasty buckwheat tortillas and home-canned salsa w/ bulk OG beans and rice.

Total cost: about a buck fiddy.

Total prep time: 1/2 hr.

Nuff said.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Been thinking about this topic extensively, and a few things have occurred to me.

The information regarding the health risks posed by high fructose corn syrup, many preservatives, gmo's, additives, pesticides, and so forth, is readily, even plentifully available. And yet these substances which are used in the production of most of our collective food supply are not banned by our nanny government.

Ignorance is a choice, but poverty is often not. Those who choose convenience over self-sufficiency, or who are simply not in a position to be choosy about what they consume are bearing the brunt of the effects of these harmful food additives.

It sickens me to even think about it, but is our global population being subjected to a passive, consumerism-driven eugenics program?
edit on 2-5-2011 by mistermonculous because: Ugh.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

I have a book that I really like by Ori Hoffmekler called The Warrior Diet.

In the book Ori divides people into 'Hunters' and 'Scavengers'. Hunters know what they need to eat and go about carefully planning how to get. Scavengers just eat whatever is lying around. I try to be a Hunter.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Indeed, though I guess I come at it from a gatherer angle. Autumn mushroom hunts, spring ramps and fiddleheads, summer berry picking, and winter is for maple snow.

Also, I've always wanted to try my hand at fermented stuff: krauts, kimchee, maybe even natto. It's just that if it goes awry, it napalms your lower G.I. tract.

new topics

top topics

join