It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this rumor true about McDonald's hamburgers?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
As far as I know, this is just a rumor; it might even be an old rumor, with me just recently hearing it. Whichever the case, can someone confirm to me if this is either (1) true, or (2) just another urban legend?

This is what I heard -- McDonald's puts cow eyeballs into their hamburgers! They're all squished and stirred and mixed in like a juice (not as is, obviously!
) Somehow this saves McDonald's money by allowing them to 'make' more burgers with less meat...

I'm not even sure that makes sense. (Why not just mix the burger meat with soybeans?) But could someone more in the know help me find the truth? Thanks!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well, they're not the best burgers in the world, but they're passable... If there's cow eyeballs in there, just try not to confirm it for me eh?

*orders a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries, and a Diet Coke....*

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Snopes says this:

We don't know what the going rate for cow eyeballs is, but we suspect that � just like worms � they're too expensive to be practical as an alternative to real beef for a restaurant chain looking to save on their food costs. You'd think they'd be dirt cheap, because after all, who the heck would want cow eyeballs? They actually do have other uses, however � many schools purchase them for students to dissect in biology labs, for example.

Whatever the market price of cow eyeballs, the idea of using them as filler in beef (or even in place of beef) just isn't practical. The wholesale price of beef for companies who purchase as much of it as McDonald's does is already very low, and the amount of "eyeball meat" available per cow is miniscule compared to the amount of "real" beef produced per animal.

www.snopes.com...

[edit on 29-7-2004 by baked]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Probably costs more. Of course mayber theres an addictive substance it cow eyes. I can't say for sure but knowing McDonalds don't be suprised.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It may or may not be cow eyeballs but there is something not right in those burgers. McDonalds is the most disgusting food I have ever eatin, yet for some reason I keep coming back for more.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Well, they're not the best burgers in the world, but they're passable... If there's cow eyeballs in there, just try not to confirm it for me eh?

*orders a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries, and a Diet Coke....*

The most important aspect of "Mystery Meat", is that it should remain a mystery if you are consuming the aforementioned enigma.

sustaining trailer parks throughout the world.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Ah, good ol' Snopes.
I couldn't find that on Snopes when I tried earlier... I'm just not good at surfing Snopes' website, I suppose.

Here's a corollary question: Why don't the other fast food burger chains -- such as Burger King, Wendy's, Whataburger, Hardy's, Chick-Fil-A -- get the same kind of bad press that McDonald's does? You never hear bad rumors about any of those restaurant chains... for some reason, it's always McDonald's you hear about.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
When eating a McDonalds hamburger I think the last thing you should be concerned about is if there is cow eyeballs in there. Im sure there are much worse things in there that would scare you!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Here's a corollary question: Why don't the other fast food burger chains -- such as Burger King, Wendy's, Whataburger, Hardy's, Chick-Fil-A -- get the same kind of bad press that McDonald's does? You never hear bad rumors about any of those restaurant chains... for some reason, it's always McDonald's you hear about.

When you're the biggest, most recognizable name, you become the poster child for an industry's ills. McDonald's has the largest worldwide presence of any fast food chain (it's actually a franchise organization but that's a technicality). Occasionally one of the other Big Four (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut) take a hit in the press (usually for stupid marketing practices). Besides, Ronald gives me the creeps.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I dont' know about cow eyes, but I heard a rumor that McD's uses horse meat from Australia because it's cheaper than beef. But the protein levels are too low to pass for cow meat, so they mix earthworms(which are very high in protein) into the horse meat to raise the protein levels.

Don't know if this is true or not, but it definitely made me wonder what that congealed mass on their burgers is. You know what I'm talking about, that greyish slime that looks suspiciously like mashed earthworms.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I would wager there are more rats than eyeballs. Or maybe you're really eating bull wang.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I dont think that the eye ball thing is real but this one is(I was told from a manager at MacD's when I worked there in highschool)...

Macdonalds has a grease trap system in all of their pumbing systems in each restaurant. There is a main containment barrel usually located near the wash sinks area. Every now and then there is a company that comes in a cleans these barrels out, at the MacD's I worked there was maybe a couple barrels a time. I was told that this grease and sludge then gets shipped half to dog food companys...and here is the show stopper... half gets shipped to make-up companys that use it for lip stick and such.

So when you put on lip stick just think of Chicken Nuggets and Cheeseburgers. Mmmmmm

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
From what Ive heard they put sugar in the buns that why they taste so good to eat and you always want more after.Check out the movie super size it to.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
From what Ive heard they put sugar in the buns that why they taste so good to eat and you always want more after.

Well, that's not bad at all. It's not gross or anything, at least!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Jazzerman, I dont know about cow eyes, but your avatar nearly gave me a heart attack. For some reason I cant stop staring at it, even though it sends shivers up my back. o.k., sorry for the disruption. continue with the eyeballs.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Patriot
I dont' know about cow eyes, but I heard a rumor that McD's uses horse meat from Australia because it's cheaper than beef. But the protein levels are too low to pass for cow meat, so they mix earthworms(which are very high in protein) into the horse meat to raise the protein levels.

I guess you didn't look at the Snopes link? Have a look, it mentions it, and here's a link of it's own.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
What I always thought was funny was the claim that Burger King's patties were flame broiled. While this is true it is also deceptive as the 'char' lines are already on the burgers before they cook them.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
all i know is that groak isnt healthy and my parents keep going back for more. i try to stay away from it myself. i only eat the fries btw.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Doesn't McDonalds claim that their burgers are 100% beef? If this was untrue you would think it would be an easy claim to disprove.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vietnow
Doesn't McDonalds claim that their burgers are 100% beef? If this was untrue you would think it would be an easy claim to disprove.
yea, but eye balls do come from the cow, which is beef. wonder what else is in that hamburger i ate......... no wonder i felt soo sick

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join