It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven Common TEOTWAWKI Misconceptions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This is a great article to get one thinking about their ultimate bug-out plan. I've put a couple of them here to get you started. But the entire ARTICLE is a great read, as well as the blog site itself.

Misconception number one: You are going to bug out by vehicle using some combination of car, truck or recreational vehicle (RV).

Misconception number six: You can live off the land. No, you will not for long. There are tens of thousands with that plan.

I also wonder if ATS thinks there are other misconceptions that are overlooked in the article.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You're right!

Have a read here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not derailing but don't want to double post a full thread.

A completely agree with you so I started that thread to see what others were doing and thinking. Some very interesting responses.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
TEOTWAWKI covers a lot of scenarios

A mile wide asteroid hits very few may survive. 10% survive

If it hits the moon and earth get hit with the shrapnel it my be the case that no one survives. less then 1% survive.

If its a major nuclear attack maybe 1/4 survive. 25% survive

I have plans and will try to survive.

Others will not ether survive or try.

I may not survive but it will not be because I did not try.

You can not prepare for everything no mater how imposable you can ether give up or try.

Its your problem, NOT mine,

You not surviving because you did not try MAY be what gives me the chance to survive.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I think that there are so many possibilities...One can't see it all
I have noticed one thing
IMHO
No one ever gets it right first time..right out of the box.
so try to live the life a certain amount while you have a safety net
so you can work out the bugs without risking to much for real

There was a time when a man could survive like robinson cruesoe
but now you need at least a sophisticated water filter.

I can't help thinking that man whether lazy or atrocious, might be the worst hazard

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
While I agree with most of the article I take a few exceptions...

Misconception number four: Roving criminal hordes will come from the urban environment to your rural home or Bug Out Location (BOL). Nope, these people do not play chess or even checkers; they do not plan ahead much at all.

Drug dealers and gangs are smart enough to smuggle stuff over guarded international borders and grow weed in the middle of a national forest under the noses of park rangers. Serial killers are known to have exceptional IQ's. Criminals are never to be underestimated and many will be smart enough (or will be chased out) to move where there is a possibility of resources. An armed criminal gang can be very dangerous even to secluded communities.

Misconception number five: Needy hungry hordes will come from town. Not likely, when local resources (read: booze and junk food), and the aid from whatever governmental response is exhausted they will do nothing.

Human history has many examples of mass migrations. When the Huns invaded eastern Europe, barbarian tribes literally ripped up their homes and fled for the safety of Rome. This included young children, the sick, and the old. Desperation can make the laziest couch potato get up and move.

The best way to survive is either become a part of a criminal gang in control of an area (an important part) or get lucky and be a part of a secluded, easily defensible, and resource filled community.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Most of his comments will certainly be true but I also disagree regarding the roving bandits. Unless you are completely secluded you will have groups of people running around with bad intentions. The armies of them that people expect probably won't form, but there will still be groups of people who feel that it is their right to take what they want. That said anonymity will be key. If you look like you have nothing you will be left alone by most people. I have said it before and I say it again, look helpless, but be ready to defend yourself if the situation calls for it.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
overconfidence and thinking that things arent possible is a misconception.

and that will lead to your downfall.

people follow where the resources are to say people are lazy i wouldnt bet on it

and while some criminals are stupid there are many that arent.

if i have food stocked up at least i wont be a hungry victim and if people eat they have more energy and stamina than those are are starving.

that article is trouble people will read that and be like ok im covered

people if the end of the world as we know it ever comes to pass all bets are off.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Although what he says sounds true, after reading his list you realize that you are doomed. Which may be true for some of us but seriously he says you can't bug out but you can't defend your home either, nor can you feed yourself through any manner other than canned and freeze dried foods. I guess we should all play monopoly and wait for FEMA to come save us.
I can feed myself in the woods even if all the deer and squirrels are gone.
If he's helpless then that's his problem.
I have no intention of dying like this author.

new topics

top topics

join