It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Truths About The Paranormal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
All I have to say: Deny Ignorance.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Biggie
"Ear candling is big business in paranormal circles

Yes, this caught my attention. What is 'ear candling'?

Ear candles are sold in "alternative health shops". They're basically like normal candles except for that they're hollow. You take the candle and stick it in your ear and light it. Supposedly a vacuum is created which draws earwax up for the ear canal and into the candle. Proponents of the candles claim that the waxy substance inside the hollow chamber is evidence that they work.

In reality the substance in the chamber is wax from the candle itself. I purchased a few and used one in my ear and lit another one in a candle holder. The insides of the candle looked the same in each case.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You are definitely right about pagans not wanting to draw attention to ourselves unless otherwise needed. Generally, people only give us crap when we tell them our beliefs, because afterall, it makes us heathens.

I'm actually both pagan and a fan of gothic\death metal\black metal\doom metal music, and I dress fairly gothic, and I'm quite comfortable explaining my religion to people who ask. I know that by drawing attention to myself I'm begging for questions, but I don't mind. I've never really been the type to care what people think about me. But I actually like it that way in a way. Because if I do it like that, they'll ask and I can explain to them what my religion REALLY is about. People are actually a lot more understanding of paganism than most people think, though there are those genuine jerks that call you heathens and devil worshippers and mail you cases of Chick Tracts
(true story!) and will try to convert you.

Just ignore those people. Remember what American McGee said- "Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different." Being openly pagan to people has helped me help many people. For instances, I've had a girl come to me and confess she was a Druid and had been for years, as nearly everybody in her family was. She felt a lot better knowing there was somebody she could talk to about it. Though I'd never tell who she was (I respect that many pagans like their privacy in their religion) she was very overjoyed that she knew she "wasn't alone".

And I am a very devout pagan, in case you're wondering. n_n By the was, everybody who celebrate it have a happy Lammas?

-Omega, AKA ZaininsBride

PS: Before anybody asks, I genuinely do like gothic music and detah\doom\black metal. And I dress gothic not to look "cool" or anything like that, but because I like the way I look that way and feel most comfortable like that. I don't dress that way all the time, either, anyway. (For example, right now I'm in a blue leaf-print shirt I bought for a dollar at a discount store and a plain pair of black pants with yellow zippers up the sides.)

I do know a few fake pagans though. It hurts me inside, really. I knew one girl who claimed to be pagan and couldn't tell you the first thing about... anything. Not holidays, not dieties, not rituals... she couldn't even name more than one sect of paganism. It made me feel like she was mocking what I believed in.

[edit on 3-8-2004 by ZaininsBride]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

1. Many of the most fervent believers in the paranormal are suffering from some form of mental illness.

Talk about lack of evidence, he cites no sources of studies to prove this assertion, and yet he states it as fact.

2. No valid scientific evidence has ever been presented that proves the existence of any paranormal phenomenon.

Again incorrect. There are numerous scientific studies that support this. Studies such as effects of human will on random patterns, both the US and the USSR's millions spent on psi research etc. would tend to prove otherwise.

3. The marketplace of paranormal superstitions is rife with outright frauds and con artists.

Sure it is, and so is insurance. Yet we all believe insurance really exists correct? Just because a field is rife with fraud, does not mean that all are frauds.

4. Believing in the paranormal has never improved one's lot in life.
There is just one exception to this rule. See Truth Number 3.

Again, a lie. Many who have minor paranormal abilities have often had instances where it has enriched their lives, sometimes even prevented catastrophe, or at least enriched their understanding of the world around them.

5. Believers in the paranormal are very gullible.

Another unsubstantiated claim. No studies cited, etc. yet this is the man who insists on "evidence". Why believe his sweeping statements with no evidence?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You know what? I think we should e-mail him...

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Send him this

" Your a f***ing idiot. Your site is a pile of s**t your ideas are nothing short of worthless. You are a f**k wit. You have no brain. You have no self worth and find annoying people of great satisfaction for this reason. You don�t wash and have no girlfriend. You are a sad c**t. Sad. Sad. Sad. I pity you, as do so many other people. You are the sole reason for all disease in the world. You are vile.

p.s i love you really.

[edit on 4-8-2004 by kode]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wow, I think it's funny that alot of you out there, when your opinions go against what is considered normal, call it open minded, and intelligent. When someone goes against what you think...they're close minded, stupid, f** face...blah blah blah. It was a joke, written by some guy probably just in his spare time. He didn't say that ALL paranormal people are mentaly ill, just alot of them. He didn't say ALL paranormal people are any of those things, just most of them which could be true given what kind of research you do. And he did say VALID scientific evidence, not just something on a website that anyone could have written.

Who knows, this guy might even believe in the paranormal for all we know! I'm not saying he's right, but..there's no scientific proof to say that ALOT of things don't exist. Nobody proved to me that an invisible killer whale riding a bicycle and blowing a horn isn't in my room, but I can't see and hear him. It doesn't mean that that is true. I'm sorry, saying that there isn't proof that something DOESN'T exist doesn't counteract the fact that there is none to prove that it DOES exist.

What I'm saying is, people are taking this too harshly. I know where you're coming from, I believe in the paranormal as well. I wasn't offended at all by this. I thought it was pretty funny. Being open minded doesn't mean believing the opposite of what everyone else believes. It just means finding the truth, without being close minded and letting your old judgements get in the way. The most open minded person on earth could be a conservative republican for all we know. This guy could be very open minded, considered everthing and found this to be the truth.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It would be funny, but sadly, it's his perceptions on baseless reasoning, that are indicative of the perception of the public at large. Such perceptions are dangerous to those who show their abilities, and do nothing but stifle the advancement of man.

Oh, and he does claim ALL as in the following...

Believers in the paranormal are very gullible

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yeah, you got me there. He does say that they are gullible. But I don't think his observations are baseless reasoning. In some parts they are, but you also have to remember it's most likely just a joke. Alot of the paranormal stuff on here is just baseless reasoning as well. Maybe he does believe in the paranormal, or has friends that do and he's going off of what he see's everyday.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

www.watchingyou.com
We've been busy annoying folks online since 1995.

The guy is a wind up merchant, a joker. He would probably appreiciate my email.

Hay here's one for you Herman.

www.watchingyou.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well, if he wants to come to FL, I'll PROVE it to him firsthand....

It was written with a tinge of humor, but it wasn't meant to be light-hearted, it was made to make the subject sound even more ridiculous than it is already perceived....

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hm, that's funny. Were you trying to insult me, Kode? Typical, you assume that just because my opinions don't agree with yours, I'm close minded and ignorant. I bet it makes you feel really smart, calling American's stupid? For your information, I happen to be very open to change. I'm interested in alot of other cultures, and even speak more than one language. (Not fluently, but I know Japanese pretty well, and I know a few sentences in some other languages.) You think that being open minded and, "Intelligent" means to believe in paranormal things...and go against popular belief. I've said it too many times to repeat it again...if you haven't gotten it by now, there's probably no hope for you. Like I also said, I believe in some paranormal things. I believe in God, Jesus, and ghosts and stuff. I recognize that there is a great scientific probability that aliens do exist.

What I will not do, is blindly believe in things just so I can seem open minded. I research it. I question. I know some EXTREMELY ignorant people who believe in some EXTREMELY, "Out-there" things. Actually, I find this artical about American's being stupid to be pretty funny. I also agree with alot of it. I think the rest of the world is just as stupid as America, though. BEING LIBERAL DOES NOT MAKE YOU SMART, OR OPEN MINDED!

Ohhh...and kode. I almost forgot, you managed to spell, "Hey" wrong.

[edit on 4-8-2004 by Herman]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Were you trying to insult me, Kode?

NO, not at all.

you assume because my opinions don't agree with yours, I'm close minded and ignorant.

No, where did i say that, assumption is the mother of all f***k ups.

I bet it makes you feel really smart, calling American's stupid?

Oh come on, now you are being stupid.

You think that being open minded and, "Intelligent" means to believe in paranormal things.

Why are you saying these things, where did i say that? I don't think that at all. You can be intelligent and not believe in the paranormal.

Ohhh...and kode. I almost forgot, you managed to spell, "Hey" wrong.

Ok you got me there. But why do you feel it so important to pick me up on my spelling? Its not that bad.

Herman, im not harbouring any bad feelings towards you OK.

But IMO which i am entitled to have, i think the guy and his site is stupid and it didn�t make me laugh not because i haven�t got a sense of humour but because I just didn�t find it funny.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

No, not at all.

If I mis-judged you sorry, but then what was that article called, "Why American's are stupid" directed at me?

No, where did i say that, assumption is the mother of all f***k ups.

Well, the article that was directed at me was about how stupid and close minded American's are. Again, if I mis-interpreted...sorry.

Oh come on, now you are being stupid

Am I? Alot of people like to feel smart by calling everyone else stupid.

Why are you saying these things, where did i say that? I don't think that at all. You can be intelligent and not believe in the paranormal.

Ok, you kinda got me there. That comment was more directed at some of the other people on this thread.

I felt the need to pick on you spelling that word wrong because I felt like you were trying to insult my intelligence. Thanks for being civil though, I appreciate that. If I came off too harshly, I apologize.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hey
No problem man. we cool.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yeah, I agree

Now I just have to fill up space because ATS won't let me post such a short comment.

[edit on 6-8-2004 by Herman]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join