It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the universe were infinite...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Any planet housing Gungans is a prime nuke target as far as I'm concerned! Death to Jar Jar!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Any planet housing Gungans is a prime nuke target as far as I'm concerned! Death to Jar Jar!!!

Hear hear!

In some ways, I hope the universe isn't infinite if that's the case lol

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by racos
But if it was to collapse into four what would happen.

The Big Bang would happen

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
the short answer to your question: maybe.

here's an analogy:

say I've got an infinitely big harddrive; is the text of every novel ever written in it somewhere?

the answer is yes (with probability approaching 1, ie 100%) if the harddrive has been filled with the output of a perfect random number generator, the answer is no (with probablity 0%) if I've filled it all with 0s, and depending on what's filling that infinite space the answer could be anywhere in between.

With the universe, the question isn't just "if it's infinite, are the star trek races out there" but "if it's infinite, how is it being filled?", and the latter question is still up for debate.

There was a good article on exactly this in the May 2003 scientific american; the link to it's here:

www.sciam.com... ID=000F1EDD-B48A-1E90-8EA5809EC5880000

but the website wants you to pay; if you're interested I'd reccomend going to your nearest public library and digging out this issue. It's really a great read.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Istvan
New research shows, that the Universe is football shaped. If you leave it from one end, you will come back at the other end. Therefore, the Universe is not infinite.

Now if you could make that journey happen and arrive back at where you started, would you travel through time??

If the universe is expanding at a certain rate, does that mean that time expands at that rate also??

Just some questions I've been thinking about.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Hey I have an idea, lets go start some kind of intergalactic empire, and then we can create a giant space station the size of a small moon, and equip it with a giant laser gun that could blow up say a planet. And then we can hunt down the rebel scum. A hail Lord Vader!

<< 1   >>

join