It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the over 50's from Voting

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745
I think anyone over 50 just needs to step back and let the people who have a firm grasp of technology and how the world works do the thinking and voting. The over 50's should stick to gardening, and while we are at it we should make them sit an annual driving test, that could save thousands of lives. Why we let these out of touch grumpy old farts decide who runs the country is beyond me.

I'll bet you not one of the rabid idiots who brayed for years that Obama was really African was under 35. I'm guessing nobody under 35 thinks Sarah Palin is 'amazing' either.

We love you, old ones. Just leave the driving and voting to us eh?

I'm over 50, your post gave me quite a laugh! Man do you have some serious misconceptions. I'd be willing to wager that the vast majority of birthers are ignorant teens and twenty-somethings that think "facts" are whatever they read on forums like this one. The over-50 crowd is a sceptical generation, we don't believe what we are told, we seek the answers from actual sources instead of Facebook. We are intelligent, informed, and most of all, experienced. We are exactly who you want voting, because we are the ones that actually bother to review candidate's past performance and voting records, we do our research. As for driving, I've been driving since I was 15, always in major metroplexes, and have never once caused an accident (but I've been rear-ended twice, both times by twenty-somethings). I really wish I could find you on your 50th birthday so I could ask you if you still stand by your opinion, I am 100% sure that your attitude about what "old" is will be completely different then. To a 7-year-old, a 15-year-old is "old". To a 20-year-old, 30 is "old". To a 50-year-old, 80 is "old". Our definition of "old" changes constantly as we age.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745

I recently read an article about how CNN distorts poll results to suit certain political agendas. Using this method they can mislead viewers and make backward political standpoints look popular and legitamate. They do this by excluding any results by people under 35. As seen in this example here :

dawgfarts.com...

Last night on the Daily Show with John Stewart which is one of my favourite shows, they were making fun of the fact Trump and all the birth brigade all look like the fools they are about now due to the long form cert. being released. A very good point was made: who votes more than any other group? Old people, specifically SCARED old people. The political system has now boiled down to who can scare the most old people to their side. This is so true !

I think anyone over 50 just needs to step back and let the people who have a firm grasp of technology and how the world works do the thinking and voting. The over 50's should stick to gardening, and while we are at it we should make them sit an annual driving test, that could save thousands of lives. Why we let these out of touch grumpy old farts decide who runs the country is beyond me.

I'll bet you not one of the rabid idiots who brayed for years that Obama was really African was under 35. I'm guessing nobody under 35 thinks Sarah Palin is 'amazing' either.

We love you, old ones. Just leave the driving and voting to us eh?

I would be all for the "Under 50s" taking over but they can barely tie their shoes and from everything I see, produce trash.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
You all realize that this is yet another or the never ending ways to divide and conquer us, right? Pit the young against the old. And based on a lot of the responses here, it might be working?

The more lines we're divided on, the easier it is to take us down. And as with all the other lines they're using to pit us all against each other and never find harmony or agreement, compromise or sanity, just enough people are buying into it to fracture us even further. Just saying.

edit on 4/30/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
No. OP-Are you actually THAT stupid? If anything, the voting age nees to be raised to thirty.

If we only let young people vote we would have the "Revolutionary Communist" parties in charge. EVERYWHERE. this is due to the fact that young people are mostly quite stupid and lazy.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Ban the over 50's from Voting?

Are you so delusional as to believe that your vote is anything more than a fart in a whirlwind?

OK, I'm 64 and that's fine with me...I mean after all what have you got when you have the RIGHT to VOTE? Not much! Check out what the TRUTH about voting is. Watch this:

Now all you under 50's sheeple go for it,.. VOTE VOTE VOTE

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Who the hell decided that 50 is old?
It isn't.
Some people are old at 25, others just do not get old.
Well, maybe by 80.....

Growing up is highly overrated, clearly.

I am over 50 and I feel absolutely no different from when I was 20.

The only difference is I feel more informed about the way things REALLY work in the world, instead of the pablum that they fed you in high school and college.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

I agree to what you are saying to a certain extent. I think people over 50 need to start letting younger people take control of society more. The older generations are holding on for dear life to power and I think it's sinking the economy, society, etc...
Old people are cool but the youth are the future, and when I'm 50 I hope to still think progressive, and not be so afraid.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
LMAO
When I was a young'n it was 'don't trust anyone over 30'. Guess the OP calling the limit at 50 is generous.
Anyway the polls I have been reading indicate its the older voters that are supporting changes to medicare/medicade/SS the most. Me too in that box. I am ready to tighten the belt so my children and grandchildren are not stuck with the bill.
From what I have seen of the current crop of youth, they are even more clueless than I was at the time. I hope most of them stay home and watch idol and skip voting or we might get an Obama rerun and that would finish us off for sure.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teeky

I agree to what you are saying to a certain extent. I think people over 50 need to start letting younger people take control of society more. The older generations are holding on for dear life to power and I think it's sinking the economy, society, etc...
Old people are cool but the youth are the future, and when I'm 50 I hope to still think progressive, and not be so afraid.

50 isn't old, and is working class. Elderly are citizens too. But 50 is not elderly. What kind logan run pills are you on?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by moogins

see the problem is the "old" just keep piling up. due to the increase in votes, our actions will be lead towards entitlement programs and transfer payments. A general lack of care for the future, only concerned about morsels they can get now. Our country cant afford our old people. Not to mention that the older people get, the more confused they get. I would say limit the age to 65.

We are the ones who will have to live with the long term consequences of our current actions, not the "old folk"

Really, ya think???
and...ain't none of you younger people getting assistance for your housing, or food, or healthcare, heck, you all are paying your child support payments, taking responsibility for yourselves and your kids?? never got a gov't grant for college, or starting a business................
I would venture to guess that the little 80 year old lady who works with me works harder, is less confused, and has paid more in taxes this year than many of you younger folks!!! and no, she doesn't drive, she comes in with her daughter, or if all else fails, her grand daughter, who all work there....
no, the over 50's ain't the problem, we've been the solution for all these decades, we've been paying our taxes, as well as putting into that social security fund, that has been continually been raided to pay for new schools, new soccor fields, new malls, new drugs, new wars, new everything!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm not over 50.... yet. Next year. Let me tell you something sonny, we have seen it all. We have done it all. With age comes a pantload of experience. As you can see, I can do more than just turn my computer on. We're "Hep", to coin a phrase from the 70's.
Tech is not beyond our meager intellect. The younger generation should take a lesson from Chiun(Remo Williams character). "The fool chatters whilst the wise man listens." Trust me, you'll learn something.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Are you joking??

Your future, as a young person in the US is as a slave in a third world nation. That is your future.
edit on 30-4-2011 by romanmel because: typo

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
The problem is, people over 50 are intimidated by intelligence and the idea that younger people are getting smarter with each generation. The result? They vote for an anti-intellectual candidate, one that's "folksy" and boring and all that tripe.

I can assure you, younger people are NOT getting smarter with each generation. They are getting more and more complacent, relying on second and third hand sources for their information instead of researching things themselves, and today they are more convinced than ever that they already know everything at 20 to 25 and have no need to learn anything more. They are also abundantly lazy, spending their days on forums like these instead of doing something productive. It's a constant source of frustration for people who run companies, we need younger people to help offset our operating costs (because they have cheaper billing rates) but they want to sit on the computer and chat with their friends all day and surf forums and call it "work". I've trained young people coming out of school for decades and the problem has gotten progressively worse over time. Young people require more supervision now than ever before, and when they tie up supervisors like this it removes that supervisor from being able to do the higher-end work they're supposed to be doing. It used to be that when it came time for layoffs we'd keep the young people and dismiss the older people because economically it made the most sense. In this last recession, who got laid off? The young! Why? Because they're practically helpless on their own, they won't take charge and they can't function without supervision. So when the layoffs started, companies kept the supervisors instead because the supervisors can do their own jobs AND do the jobs of their subordinates. If you work in a large company then I implore you, have this discussion with your boss or bosses and see if they don't say the exact same thing. I've spoken with my peers in many different companies and hear the above complaints over and over again. The consensus is that young people have extremely poor work ethics, and it just keeps getting worse with each generation.
edit on 30-4-2011 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

50 isn't old, and is working class. Elderly are citizens too. But 50 is not elderly. What kind logan run pills are you on?

Dude what is Logans run? When I turn 50 I will be old and I can accept that. Too bad most can't. Most people over 50 are afraid still trying to run the show with an iron fist. We still use oil to power cars and all because old people who run the show won't let go.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
lol...if you think we are running the show with an iron firsts....you should meet our daddies and mommies!!!
or their daddies and mommies!!! we're mild compared to them!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Dude what is Logans run?

Quite apt given the topic:

It's 2274 and on the surface, it all seems to be an idyllic society. Living in a city within an enclosed dome, there is little or no work for humans to perform and inhabitants are free to pursue all of the pleasures of life. There is one catch however: your life is limited and when you reach 30, it is terminated in a quasi-religious ceremony known as Carousel. Some, known as runners, do try to escape their fate when the time comes and it's the job of a Sandman to track them down and kill them.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

"I'm not young enough to know everything"
-Oscar Wilde

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

edit on 30-4-2011 by alphabetaone because: Nevermind, this guy just isnt worth the trouble

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
LMAO
When I was a young'n it was 'don't trust anyone over 30'. Guess the OP calling the limit at 50 is generous.
Anyway the polls I have been reading indicate its the older voters that are supporting changes to medicare/medicade/SS the most. Me too in that box. I am ready to tighten the belt so my children and grandchildren are not stuck with the bill.
From what I have seen of the current crop of youth, they are even more clueless than I was at the time. I hope most of them stay home and watch idol and skip voting or we might get an Obama rerun and that would finish us off for sure.

How about a world where no One has to tighten belts and all may live richly, following not a career but Their bliss?

If We really want something to give to Our children, Let's make BIG changes.

How? You might ask...

Please read my two threads, linked in my sig:

The End of Entropy - the foundation

The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - the structure

In this world I describe, no One has power over others and all have autonomous power over self - within the three Laws.

I would love to have more comments.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel

Are you joking??

Your future, as a young person in the US is as a slave in a third world nation. That is your future.
edit on 30-4-2011 by romanmel because: typo

Young people are becoming slaves because old people like most in congress and corporations are selling everything off and being greedy. People over 50 only care about preserving the little fantasy world that was sold to them by the illuminati back in the day. Go retire please!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join