It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the over 50's from Voting

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745

I'll bet you not one of the rabid idiots who brayed for years that Obama was really African was under 35. I'm guessing nobody under 35 thinks Sarah Palin is 'amazing' either.

We love you, old ones. Just leave the driving and voting to us eh?

I'm 65.

Love John Stewart
Hate Gardening
Have a perfect driving record
Believe Obama was born in Hawaii
Can't stand Palin. Think she is a complete idiot

From a thread on ATS - - it shows most ATS posters seem to be under 35.

Have you seen the Birther threads on ATS? The majority of Birther's on ATS are not over 50.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Well good for you, gramps!

Do you want a medal for that?

There will always be young goobers that drive recklessly. The good news is that one close call is all it takes for some to quit doing so.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

There will always be young goobers that drive recklessly. The good news is that one close call is all it takes for some to quit doing so.

Careful there kitten, Karma is a boomerang. Just remember this: You WILL be 50 one day.

So be nice, watch the mean barbs and respect your elders.

Gotta run and do some gardening. Here is my garden tractor:

I'd bet it costs more than your house and is a 6 speed manual. Hint: You don't just put it in "D" and mash the gas. Sorry to get all boasty but I'm getting senile and douche nozzles get me angry.

edit on 30-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I'd rather see the voting age lifted to 30 but that would limit some younger people that actually do know whats going on, unlike yourself..

I would go for 25 as an age limit, and not just for voting. For enrollment in the military, posing nude, marrying, drinking, entering contracts, etc.

Not to pick on the under 25s as much to protect them. The pre frontal cortex is not completely developed until that age, (some, I am sure, a bit earlier) and that portion of the brain is what allows impulse control, as well as the prediction of long term consequences.

www.hhs.gov...

This brain region gives an individual the capacity to exercise “good judgment” when presented with difficult life situations. Brain research indicating that brain development is not complete until near the age of 25, refers specifically to the development of the prefrontal cortex.3

The military and credit issuing agencies, as well as nudie magazines, prey on the young who at 18 still do not have their full wits about them, literally, in terms of predicting how what they are signing up for will impact them long term.

But in terms of voting, it also means that (in general, I have met some very composed 21ish people) they will tend to be emotional, impulsive, and poor predictors of the consequences of their vote.

There is a reason the founders discriminated against the very young in terms of allowing them to assume positions of authority, and science has shown it is a very good one.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

And one deadly accident that kills another person to to show that they should have learned their "lesson" while they were still in driver ed.

And your unwarranted sarcasm only reflects badly on you.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by moogins

see the problem is the "old" just keep piling up. due to the increase in votes, our actions will be lead towards entitlement programs and transfer payments. A general lack of care for the future, only concerned about morsels they can get now. Our country cant afford our old people. Not to mention that the older people get, the more confused they get. I would say limit the age to 65.

We are the ones who will have to live with the long term consequences of our current actions, not the "old folk"

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

Much better to limit voters to only those paying taxes. And for that matter only those paying taxes above a given percentage of income so as to eliminate those benefiting from loopholes on either end of the spectrum. Thus requiring anyone voting to be a contributor to the national well-being. That would be a popular constitutional amendment.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The reason there are so many trolls here(like the OP-start a thread to cause controversy and just sit back, no need for another comment) is because people respond to ridiculousness. This site is getting very stale. I'm out.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts i've seen here. You have no grasp of how things work...You saw it on the Daily show? Thats a reliable news agency. Scary is people like you are our future.....

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What did the old hippie Abbie Hoffman say when he was young, "Don't trust anyone over 30." Then, decades later, he said "Don't trust anyone under 30 except for Jimmy Carter's daughter." (I can't recall her name). So if Abbie Hoffman was still alive (and who can tell, maybe he did a second disappearing act and is playing the slots at Monte Carlo even as we type) he'd probably say "Don't let anyone under 40 or over 70 vote" or something to that effect.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Maybe they should ban Liberals like you from voting. Do you have any Idea how communist/ Stalin like you sound. They have a right to vote equally like you do. If you want to live and raise your children in a state of communism move to China. Please move to China! I will pay for it!! People like you voted Obama in and are the reason the United States is in it's worst decline in History.

Just because you think somethings a good idea doesn't make it constitutional. You know that troublesome old document we based the entire country laws and right's on? What if the majority of Americans decided that it's a great idea and good for the country to hunt down liberals and put them in prison camps? It's the same thing your proposing.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

What we need to do is ban voting for those under 26 years old which is the age that you really get to start understanding what life is about. By 26, you starting getting decent money and realize how much you pay in taxes, you see the government take 50% of every raise, you see all the takers (illegal aliens, minorities) in the world-taking your hard earned money by gaming the system, lying and then telling you it's not enough and that they expect more money from you. You feel like a big asshole for letting people take advantage of you since all you have have been doing is sit around letting it happen. Then you just read ATS with all of the other losers instead of telling the government to stop or voting out the lousy, loony, leftist, commie-bastard democrats.

Join us old farts who are emailing our representatives and are standing on the street corners protesting this government, ask them why they listen to and take care of everyone but the taxpayer.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
no reason to agree about the over 50 group. you just come off sounding like an idiot.
edit on 30-4-2011 by yrwehere1 because: edit comment

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I've said that for years, only to be dirided as a fascist. I am 60 years old. I have never served in the military, because I flunked the physical due to a childhood illness. I would gladly serve, even at my age, in order to have the privilege of voting.
BUT, everyone who can understand the oath they take must be allowed to serve, regardless of physical disability, if they so desire!.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wow, your mama raised you right, eh? Total lack of respect for anyone over 50? I mean TOTAL lack. What is wrong with this country? You're one of the BIG problems, sonny jim.

I don't know anyone who votes out of fear, regardless of age. If there is an emotion tied to the act of voting, it's RAGE.

Sit down and close your disrespectful piehole, buddy.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I'd like to see what would happen if an attemp to take away the over 50 crowds right to vote. The under 35s may have youth on their side, but we oldsters have cunning and deceit on ours.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I really worry about people who get their news from John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. It's good to poke fun at current events and public figures, but people should really read a newspaper, and check out the real world before turning to political satire. (How can you truly understand the satire if you don't know the facts?)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thats right you old fogies! You can hobble on your canes wherever the heck you want, just don't vote! The young'ns will take care of it, as soon as theres an app for that! You just widdle away in your garden, talk about weather, watch the squirrels, and yell at the neighbor kids to get off your lawn. Voting? Nope, not your right anymore! And if you don't take a yearly driving test, by golly your electric cart will be confiscated faster than you can shake a stick at it.

Seems legit to me...who needs honest, educated, experienced opinions anyway? Soooo overrated!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I believe I can surmise the premise of this thread in three words using the lexicon to appeal across the entire age spectrum. MEAN PEOPLE SUCK.

In the parlance of John Barrymore: "A person is not old until their dreams are replaced with regrets." Dream on my wise and virtuous brethren!
edit on 30-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thats a really stupid idea OP. But I agree that universal voting (or universal vote value) is also stupid. There was a better solution here awhile back than age limit:
Don't let ignorant people vote

The vote weight of an university professor of successfull enterpreneur should NOT have the same weight as the vote of some uneducated unemployed ghetto "nigga" (MODS: "nigga" refering to lifestyle, not race ). Of course everyone should have the right to vote, just so noone would feel unimportant, but individual vote weight should be different.

I envision it as such: All voters would propose laws and vote through the internet directly about the proposed laws submitted by other citizens (kinda like internet forum with poll option), BUT the individual votes would not have the same weight - weight would depend on the persons education, maybe test results (both general knowledge, IQ and EQ), criminal record, expertise and degree in the issue the law relates to, longterm uneployment would lower the weight, special achievements like Nobel prize would increase it, maybe it would even depend on income a bit etc.. But NOT on age.

Democracy 2.0

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join