It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the over 50's from Voting

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
everyone is crrrraaazy!
and always will be.
til the end

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
i'm 31. i feel like i'm 22 and tomorrow i'll be 50.

some day you'll realize how ridiculous your comments were.
and how quickly life goes by.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
He is over 70? That McCain was over 80, wasn't he? They are just to fit, these day's.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Before you old geezers grab your geritol-bombs and pitchforks, consider this:

My 60 year old father and I think alike too much on politics. We share conspiracy theories, bemoan the economy (he loves to talk about how his stocks are taking a beating) and we talk about things that most young people would never talk about. Ditto with my 92 year old grandmother!

So before you think that I'm against old people, I'm only against old people that I disagree with.

I do wish that more people from my father's generation were as wise as he is. I have other family members around the same age that are straight-ticket Republicans who do not believe in equal rights for all.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
OK I'll bite.
When I was 15 I remember thinking like err 30 was ancient.
But strangely your perceptions change as you get older.....
I'm 60 and not ready for the knackers yard just yet. Actually many governments would have us work well into our 60s and even 70s citing age expectancy as a reason. Not that I agree with that of course.
As for being IT literate, most employed peeps in their 50s have to be IT literate for their jobs.
The difference is we have a wealth of experience, we knew what life was like pre ipod, we are not obsessed and we don't feel that the sky is falling if we get detached from our digital umbilical cord.
Oh and we were brought up not to sit on our backsides thinking the world owes us a living.
It's a good way to be

edit on 30-4-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
seriously, 50 isn't old..not by a long shot (in todays standards).

once you hit the 70s and such, and your brain starts slowing down, then an argument can possibly be made, but even then, they have done alot for the world and so beyond driving and other motor functions, their vote should count as equal as anyone else.

I was personally offended (still considered a "youngster" if 50 is considered "old" but still offended overall at the ops general disrespect...

however

some of you didn't help the case by sounding like grandpa simpson in your rant..was expecting the "get off my lawn" cane shaking from a couple of you

I am in favor of a fair IQ test to vote however

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I really like the idea of not letting the 50+ population vote. Then maybe, just maybe marijuana will get legalized, taxed to pay debts and everyone can mellow the hell out.

edit on 30-4-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The problem with this is that Most college professors are Flaming Liberals. Due to peer pressure alone, Democrats have a clear advantage when the voting age is limited to young adults.

Back in High school I had to keep it on the down low, that I vote Conservative, because I have been chewed out by peers and teachers alike for expressing a non-liberal view on a political subject. This is how corrupt the education system is.

I wonder, why do liberals have to infiltrate and currupt the education system so much to spread there "will" if they are so "right" to begin with? your ideals alone should carry you, Forcing your beliefs on people who are clueless on politics, and never giving them a fighting chance is just pathetic.

I'm voting Ron Paul.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Just a thought ...

amount of 50+ old people that act the way the OP described ~ 75%
amount of 50+ old people that are sceptical and thinking individuals ~ 25%

amount of 50+ old people that act the way the OP described and are reading/replying on ATS Forum ~ 0%
amount of 50+ old people that are sceptical and thinking individuals and are reading/replying on ATS Forum ~ 95%

What I am trying to say is that there are ignorant people among all ages and that all of you - particularly because you read this thread here on ATS - are the most wrong persons that should have a dialog about this because all feel personaly involved by the therm 50+ but are not matching the description the OP was pointing out in any way.

I even bet that most would be with the OP when you were talking about this in more detail (honestly it is my belief that most older people are in the state of mind of doing nothing - just keep quite and hope the best - only a few years until retirement kicks in and they can finaly start to "enjoy" their new free time... I think most of the 50+ in this thread wouldn´t support that attitude either)

btw just because this was mentioned a couple of times... wisdom and experience has to be obtained ...you just do not get it for free just by aging ...

as Kurt Tucholsky once said
"Experience means nothing. You can do something badly for 35 years"

edit on 30-4-2011 by AnnoyingOrangeX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

I think anyone over 50 just needs to step back and let the people who have a firm grasp of technology and how the world works do the thinking and voting. The over 50's should stick to gardening, and while we are at it we should make them sit an annual driving test, that could save thousands of lives. Why we let these out of touch grumpy old farts decide who runs the country is beyond me.

I'm not going to read past posts because it's pointless..

You, ya little whipper snapper are an idiot..
When you grow up you may look back in embarrassment at how stupid you were..
I'm over 50 and I can tell you straight it's me that knows more about what goes on in the world than my sons aged 24, 26 and 28..
They have no idea..
They're too busy watching sport, drinking and wondering what girl they may bed next..
It's also me they bring their computers to when they've downloaded too many virus's from viewing facebook etc..
I can also honestly state I'm by far the better driver and BTW, I hate gardening..
I'd rather go for a cruise on one of my bikes or my sports Jag..

I'd rather see the voting age lifted to 30 but that would limit some younger people that actually do know whats going on, unlike yourself..

End Rant...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The founding fathers did us a favor by banning people of the OP's age from voting.
edit on 4/30/2011 by dubiousone because: Removed insulting reference to OP.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Well said, Sir... excellent rant and I gave you a star.

Oh and to the OP of this thread, you'll be 50 before you know it. And don't be hatin' on gardeners. Just where the heck do you think you get all you fruits and vegetables from, and not to mention all the nice flowers.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
So people over 50 shouldn't vote? Ron Paul is 75, and, in my opinion, he would know how to run the country better than anyone right now. He's beat that "old" age by 25 years. So he wouldn't be able to vote? Or run for president? Cmon man.

And Jon Stewart will be 50 next year. So I guess he's too old to understand the world and how it works, too, huh?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
How about we get our priorities straight and ban anyone over 70 from DRIVING...

But yeah, way to infuriate the AARP crowd...

Damn kids and your rock n roll 8 track tapes and your mytube
edit on 30-4-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
I really like the idea of not letting the 50+ population vote. Then maybe, just maybe marijuana will get legalized, taxed to pay debts and everyone can mellow the hell out.

edit on 30-4-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

You're kidding me, right? It was the 50+ generation that started smoking it first. So I imagine our age group is one of the most pro-legalization groups around.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
That makes sense. The next government can campaign to divert all the old peoples pensions to the young for a couple of years. At least untill most of the old people die from not being able to pay heating bills.
Restricting over 50's to vote(however sensible is sounds) is un-democratic. That's just what the U.S.A needs. Less democracy.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Ha yes, spoken just like the immature ones we were at your age too buddy.

Every generation thought they were it till they grew up and realized they weren't as smart as they thought they were, and you're just repeating what they did and when your older and matured - (above 38) you'll say and see the same.

Welcome to the real world.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The people who were brainwashed by liberals to think the US Constitution is just trash now want to eliminate the people over 50 who still believe in the Constitution from voting. Geez, there are some really weird ideas on this forum. Or maybe it was Death Panels 101 with Professor Ayers.
edit on 30-4-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
If you were to ban the over 50s, less voting will happen. To say, It's more of the older people that vote. That would contribute to less 'possible' change.
Besides, our votes barely matter(due to all the cheating)when it comes to presidents and some other voting as well.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I'm 63, & your bizarre stereotyping of people over 50 gave me a giggle or two; you kids are so cute sometimes.
As for rushing in to defend the acuity of my remaining faculties, I offer you the only reply I feel the OP deserves:

Badges? I don't got to show you no stinking badges!

edit on 4/30/11 by BuzzCory because: Increased politeness factor; I was young once myself

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join