It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the over 50's from Voting

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

Oh, stop with the USA elitism

I really wish you would read what is typed and not how you want to perceive it, this seems though, beyond your grasp.

it doesnt mean it cant be made even better

Everything can be made better, but it doesn't start with eroding rights, it starts by enabling them.

, by adopting some meritocratic/technocratic elements

You seem to think you are the only one qualified to make choices and make the decisions on "what will make everything better"....one person doesn't have the luxury of making that choice.

As a side note, I'm really done with this thread....respond if you like, but I've said all I need to on this subject, and everything you're saying is off-topic and completely irrelevant.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Hi Maslo,

If you're trying to say something like:
There are only two types of participants in a society. There are those that contribute, and there are those that steal. Those that steal shouldn't be allowed to vote.
I would tend to agree.

In the United States we often vote the thieves into office, and ignore the honest because they seem to lack personalities.

We all need to learn the difference between those that tell us what we want to hear, and those that are truly honest. Until we start voting with our brains, instead of our hearts, there will never be true "change you can believe in".

I never met a good "con man" I didn't like at first meeting. I'll bet no one else has either!

Now that I understand what you were trying to say:
I am sorry about my "Hitler" comment. Have a star on me!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 3-5-2011 by BenReclused because: Spelling and Punctualtion

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

Ya know I just turned 50

Not only do I hold a current CDL but I also have a 2 million safe driver award... in fact until recently I taught young men and women how to be safe drivers too...

I still fly my own plane, not as much as I'd like too, but I still fly

I also hunt fish throughout the western US typically I hike 20 miles into the back country, still run 3 miles every other day and bench press 250 lbs 3 sets of ten reps just so I don't get those flabby old man arms... not to mention playing with my 3yo granddaughter every day... a three year old is a workout...

This July I'll be shooting in the Wyoming state steel challenge... I also shoot ISPC comps but being semi retired I don't make as many of those meets as I once did.. Once a year I visit LEO's and conduct combat shooting training sessions... I do all of that and still manage to piddle around in my garden...

So lets talk about the real difference between me and you...
I take pride in my accomplishments, responsible for my failures and successes...
I dont blame groups of unknown strangers for my lot in life. if I dont like the way things are going I take matters into my own hands and change things... I do not sit on my hands praying someone else is going to magically make my life better for me.

I grew up in an era when hard work and dedication were expected... paid on merit not for just showing up... Now I may not be rich, but I never worry about paying my bills... I have nevergone hat in hand, begging the state for food stamps or TATNF....

I worked hard for everything I have, such as it is.... I'll be damn if I'm going to hand over to some whiner who thinks he deserves my well earned privilege... who never once lifted a finger or did a damn thing other than bitch about his pitiful life...

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That's what I like to hear. I'm 52 now and I was never able to bench press 300 pounds until I was 50. I also am a runner. I think people our age have redefined this age group for the most part. I don't consider this age to be 'aged'.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Well I'm glad one person liked my post... probably get a warning over it????
But I'm not taking it back...
I'm just up to here with all these lame a** excuses...
each and every one of us has the power, in their own hands, own hard work and sweat, to make their life a good one... or not...
blaming someone else for your own failing ..... Childish temper tantrum...

guess I better stop before it does turn into a real rant

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745

I recently read an article about how CNN distorts poll results to suit certain political agendas. Using this method they can mislead viewers and make backward political standpoints look popular and legitamate. They do this by excluding any results by people under 35. As seen in this example here :

dawgfarts.com...

I know a lot of the Pot Smoker websites ran with the story that they excluded the 18-34 age demographic, but as best I can tell...and i researched the hell out of it...they based that claim on the fact that the CNN Poll said "Adult Americans"...you do know that "Adult" means 18 or older? Show me where they said that they excluded 18-34 in this Poll...not a smokers website claiming it...show me where the Smoker website got that info...

Here is the Poll...it doesn't say anything about excluding 18-34 year olds...help me out and give me a link.

I do tire of folks claiming that the media is misleading you...by linking to false and misleading claims...Please prove me wrong.

Originally posted by angus1745

I think anyone over 50 just needs to step back and let the people who have a firm grasp of technology and how the world works do the thinking and voting.

The over 50's should stick to gardening,

and while we are at it we should make them sit an annual driving test, that could save thousands of lives.

Why we let these out of touch grumpy old farts decide who runs the country is beyond me.

Ageism...look it up.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

Not a bad idea, considering most over 50 are disgruntled and half brain dead anyhow. More of the problem than the solution. Not to mention a burden on the tax payer with social welfare programs. Had they been all " knowing and wise ", they would have prepared for their own retirement and not been depended on others to support them.

Its not the role or the job of the USG to support those who retire.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Here is the Poll...it doesn't say anything about excluding 18-34 year olds...help me out and give me a link.

I do tire of folks claiming that the media is misleading you...by linking to false and misleading claims...Please prove me wrong.

Here is a link to the source material of the poll. On page 3 you will see the samples broken down by age. There are no responses from 18-34 year olds. The 65+ crowd is unsurprisingly the most opposed to legalization of marijuana. Edit: I find this opposition by the elderly tragically ironic, as they are the ones who could benefit most from the wonderful nutritional and medicinal effects of cannabis!

i2.cdn.turner.com...
edit on 3-5-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Realms

I sure hope you're not old enough to vote! Nothing in your post indicates that you are, so I reckon I'm relieved.

Its not the role or the job of the USG to support those who retire.

If you're referring to "Social Security", I suggest that you learn what it is first. Otherwise you are going to prove, beyond a doubt, that you are the fool that I already think you are.

I don't feel so disgruntled... perhaps I'm only tired of listening to the bray of self proven jack asses. That seems to fit in your case!

Before you start calling people "brain dead", you might consider your own lack of intellect first. Your ill informed "mini rant" is very telling...

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Social security, medicare/medicaid are 100% unconstitutional.

No where in Article 1 section 8 gives the authority to Congress to establish such programs that are known to be a burden on the taxpayer.

Further why not disprove me with facts, not a personal rant.

And who was calling who a lack of intellect?
Didn't do very well in school I take it?
edit on 3-5-2011 by Realms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by Realms

If you're referring to "Social Security", I suggest that you learn what it is first. Otherwise you are going to prove, beyond a doubt, that you are the fool that I already think you are.

Social Security is a pyramid scheme that the public was scammed in to paying for. I genuinely can not tell what your stance on SS is, but I will say I hope you do not consider paying in to Social Security an "investment" toward your retirement.

Giving your money to the government for "safe keeping" until you are old enough to retire is like keeping your chicken's in a fox's den. At best, a bunch of your "chickens" will be missing and much worse for wear when you go to claim your "chickens".

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Indeed, that Benreclused person actually thinks its the job of others to establish a retirement for him/her, much less medical attention. It is not the function of the tax payers, or the USG to provide financial aid for their retirement. That was a responsibility left up to him/her, which they clearly failed to do so.

What further solidifies his/her arrogance is the mere fact that he/she wanted to defend SS, a system which has failed since its induction, not to mention, the funds have already been spent prior to the collection of the taxes.

We have individuals like that able to vote? Thats scary!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Realms

umm...it was unconstitutional for them to take all that money from me???
hey, I got an idea.....
how about they give all that money back to me then, with interest??
what?? they don't have it, umm...wonder where it all went to since it most certainly didn't ALL go to the seniors!!!

there's alot of things the gov't is doing that is unconstitutional, with most if it going to benefit people far less worthy than the seniors!! stop some of that crap first......then come talk to us boomers!

and well, hate to tell ya this, but if you include all the interest on the debt that our gov't owes the social security fund...where all that money went....into the general fund, to pay for all those student loans and grant, all those business startups, food stamps, healthcare......including the research in medicine!!....well, it seems to really have been rather successful....we just didn't anticipate the fact that our dear ole gov't would make a ton of debt and then decide it didn't want to pay back the money they borrowed from it...
which, well, all these lectures to the common folk about paying your mortgage don't mean squat if we as a nation refuse to pay our bills...what's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
I've lived with this "needs based" welfare system all this time, listened to my elected representatives as they explained that my property tax, my tax for this or that, well, they have to be increased, not to help pay for medicare, oh, no, but rather medicaid!! then, I sat with a broken ankle with the doctors refusing to set it because I didn't have insurance.....so, here I am, no insurance, can't walk, no income to call my own, but oh, ya, I should have title to my husband's income I guess...and well, to be blunt, there wasn't enough of his!!! and well, oh, ya, the kid down the street had a runny nose, and well, of course, my family had to pitch in and help pay for the doctor bill for that, but na, I wasn't qualified according to their needs based!!
I will not keep paying if they change the medicare to "needs based" since I know that will mean that I will be still in the spot I am now, paying for all these other people, and not being able to do squat for myself!!!
I won't pay my bills, why should I....the gov't set the example, you don't have to pay if you don't want to!!
And, I won't pay their taxes anymore!!!
Let those who have benefitted, from the grants, from the gov't backed loans, from the free healthcare, free rent, from the decade long warfare, tax credits for big corps, bailouts to bankers, let them pay!! I will be done!

edit on 3-5-2011 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

So its safe you and I agree, if I read you correctly. If I too was in your shoes, I too wouldn't pay into the " system " anymore. Bravo to you!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Realms

that Benreclused person actually thinks its the job of others to establish a retirement for him/her

the mere fact that he/she wanted to defend SS

Show me how you invented those! I don't take kindly to a liar, such as yourself, putting words in my mouth!

Way to go dude! Not only are you a liar, you just proved ALL of my other comments to be true as well!

This reply is far more than you deserve, so it will be the last!

Milt

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

ya, well, if you think I am gonna be giving anything to this society, you are mistaking....
plan on selling everything I own, give it to my kids so they can get the heck out of this country, and well, you will find me up in the mountains living on the wild plants and fish......heck with yas....I don't want your danged money, but I am sick and tired of paying more and more so that a bunch of people who are younger than me and more physically able than me, and their kids can have a better lifestyle than me!! you don't have to give me a dime, but by god, don't expect a dime from me either!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Show me how you invented those!

Well with the knowledge that I didn't invent the social programs you require, what would it prove if I had invented them?

You are seriously going to attempt to make an argument of a non-issue? And your allowed to vote?

I don't take kindly to a liar, such as yourself, putting words in my mouth!

How am I deemed a liar? My original statements and I quote:

Social security, medicare/medicaid are 100% unconstitutional.

No where in Article 1 section 8 gives the authority to Congress to establish such programs that are known to be a burden on the taxpayer.

The above opening statements verify fact. I suggest reading the Constitution once before you kick the bucket. you might learn something. More over, you submitted no evidence that would suggest Im incorrect, while instead as an alleged elder, you resort to personal attacks. Who is the child here? Again, your allowed to vote?

you just proved ALL of my other comments to be true as well!

What comments might that be?

I sure hope you're not old enough to vote!

You mean that comment, perhaps you meant this one instead?

Otherwise you are going to prove, beyond a doubt, that you are the fool that I already think you are.

Oh no, I bet you meant this one too?

you might consider your own lack of intellect first. Your ill informed "mini rant" is very telling...

No sir, It is you who has proven beyond a reasonable doubt, your incompetence. Further, you have also proven yourself to be nothing more than an elder troll! None of your statements ( if thats what you wish to call them ), have been becoming of an alleged elder.

Instead of debating with fact, or personal experience, you wish to resort to name calling and personal attacks, which further solidifies my arguments have merit, where yours? Well, lack any credibility what so ever.

Have a nice day!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Realms

actually, if it wasn't for all the social security money we've been paying for all these years, our income taxes would have been outrageous.....since well, it's been that money also that has been running the gov't. so don't really see how you can say that we've been a burden to society....we've been keeping it running this long!!!

remember, social security has only started running a deficit this past year or so I believe....
and how much debt do we owe??? that debt has nothing to do with social security, or medicare, and well, it would be considerably higher without the social security tax propping everything up!!
what, you think that it we can just cut the flow of money going in, that the gov't will stop spending it and accept that they have less, heck no!!1 they are gonna find one way or another to get all the money their little hearts desire!!
your problem isn't the over 50's, or social security, you problem is an insane gov't who thinks that you have money trees growing in your back yard that you can pick hundred dollar bills off of whenever they decide one of their rich buddies needs a little more money for whatever!!!

we can stand with one voice and well, shout them down, tell them we ain't gonna put up with the crap anymore, strongly demand that they prosecute those involved in the latest real estate scam and well, make them recoup the loss, which is more than likely the biggest part of the mess!! or well, we can stay divided let the con artists walk away scott free, and well, your taxes are gonna be outrageous, plus, well, it will be up to you to look after mom and dad when they can't work anymore, who knows, by then, they might even make a law that force you to insure them through your company health insurance!!!

whatever....

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join