It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the over 50's from Voting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm over 50 and I'm not scared. Maybe angry and upset about a lot of the things that I see going on, but certainly not scared.

My mother, age 92, said something interesting at Easter breakfast last week. She said (paraphrasing), "We're losing more and more of our freedoms every day. Every time I turn around they're ignoring the Constitution and Bill of Rights more and more. I think all they want is for us to be nothing but a bunch of slaves."

You sure you want to lose the votes from people like this?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by phantom150

I believe everyone has the right to vote, they paid taxes and the decisions will still affect them.
I think only those who ACTUALLY PAY TAXES should vote. If you do not pay income taxes, you should not vote. Anybody sucking from the government teat should not vote. On SS? Welfare? Medicaid? No vote for your until you turn from leech to productive citizen.

A HUGE percentage of people "don't pay taxes". Sure they have taxes deducted from their pay check but then every spring get them back. How many people got refunds this year?

Now, I pay taxes. They withdraw it weekly and KEEP IT. I get no refunds.

So to everybody who got their money refunded back to them, you didn't pay taxes you just let them borrow it for awhile.

So let's ban everyone over 50 who is experienced in life from voting......
Ban everyone under 40 because they are inexperienced and don't know anything yet

That leaves people between 40 - 50 to vote

Oh yeah, let's not let women vote..... and hey ! why not exclude black people & Chinese

Only white men between 40 and 50 can vote.....(unless their near sighted or have freckles)
edit on 29-4-2011 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The OP must be no more than 15 years old because anyone older than that realizes that 50 is not "old".
Most people that have become "adults" realize the wisdom that comes from experience and maturity, which the OP obviously has no awareness of.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijaqd
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Really? Disabled by IED while protecting your liberty and unable to work but still needs to live so must collect disability (SSI) now equals no right to vote?
You know, maybe Robert Heinlein had it right in Starship Troopers. Only those who have honorably served on active duty in the military should vote. They have shown the ability to sacrifice and put the needs of others above their own needs.

link   
Someone needs a time-out!

Go to the woodshed and fetch me a switch ya little whipper-snapper.

Ah, to be young and foolish again...no thanks.

link   
reply to post by angus1745

Child, I've seen more, done more, live more than most of you young children ever will. And when I hear a pup like yourself picking an arbitrary age (like Obama picks an arbitrary pay to determine "rich") in order to cut off voting, that just tells me that our school system is failing because you obviousy aren't smart enough to understand the truth.

Forget troll posts.

Now we have troll threads!

What is it you kids say?

EPIC FAIL!

link   

Originally posted by angus1745

I think anyone over 50 just needs to step back and let the people who have a firm grasp of technology and how the world works do the thinking and voting.

Seriously? Firm grasp of tech and how the world works. If someone has been around for 50+ years, they seen a lot of crap come out of washington. There is a entire working work force of 50+. You can't even retire until your 55, hell my 'gen x' age group can't retire until we're 65. My parents can't afford to retire until they drop dead - they are 62 and 65.

I think you have a very narrow viewpoint of the babyboomers. They are the largest group we have in the US and they are heading towards retirement age. AARP is the largest lobbying group in America - you don't even have to be retired to join.

I personally think that IQ would be a much better qualifier to exclude anyone from voting.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Especially those who got back MORE than was deducted in the beginning. They are just stealing from others with the help of their big armed uncle.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Someone needs to remind you that everything you have has been either built or maintained by over 30 years of people over 50 paying taxes into the system.

You actually owe a thank you for their contribution. You are also wasting the one thing you will find you gain as you get older. That is experience and a spot of wisdom. Don't waste their experience and wisdom, you will have that to offer one day and its really irritating seeing youngsters reinventing the wheel. .

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

In Australia our taxes must work slightly different.

-Everyone still pays the flat 10% tax on most goods, foods etc
-Residents pay there council fees for there local area
-Have been paying tax for the last 40 years of there life.

Whats stopping the younger generations voting for practices that you refuse.
Whats stopping them cutting all pensions above 50 years old, you see the problem.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Interesting article, and thought, that everyone over the age of 50 should not be allowed to vote. Yet the facts remain, is that those who are 50 and older are more likely to turn up and actually vote, far more often than those who are in the age group from 18 to 30. While this is unfortunately true, what many fail to see, that by not voting, it does not truly represent the entire population. Having talked with those in that age group, the question of why they do not vote, is cause they do not believe that their vote counts, nor are they willing to see that to get real change or even change the law, they need to vote and be involved in the political process. Having worked in the connivance store industry, the main complaints that were often heard from those of that age group was that they could not buy certain age controlled products or had to provide an id. The older customers accepted that it was store policy, yet it was the younger group who complained the loudest, and not one ever thought about getting it on a ballot to change the law. So there you have it, the older people vote and take part in the process, and the younger crowd does not care.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
While I don't agree with all of the opinion provided by OP, I can say this >> Age does not automatically equate to Wisdom & Experience. Have you ever seen a 50/60 year old throw a tantrum at a store over some trivial matter that had everyone else shaking their heads in disbelief? I have. So just to clarify, people who are petty, materialistic and self -absorbed at say 40 are often the same way later in life. I believe it comes down to the individual, regardless of age.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Excuse me, but I am over 50... And I have an awesome clue about technology. I am an extreme technophile, in fact.

You'd better not be excluding ME from your side. I'm thinking.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I have 3 more years till I'm 50 and that is not old. That is a mature group working age still.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by drblair

Exactly...Just because you're older does not mean you're also an educated and reasonable human being. Maybe you have more life experience on your hands, but that doesn't mean these experiences will award you with any special or unique understanding of the world. It could be that these experiences may also reverse your ability to think rationally.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Wow... the OP must be under 15 to think that people over 50 are "old".

What's hilarious is that I believe the complete opposite... it's the young people who have no idea what's going on in politics and are more concerned about reality TV than who runs their country.
So, by the OP's logic, why don't we make it so that you have to be 25+ to vote? I mean, come on... that's how silly this thread is.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

What an arrogant rant.
Next thing you will want to euthanise people because they have reached their "use by date".

Obviously you would not want to vote once you reach 50? Happy to be euthanised at teh same time.
Pathetic.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What happens in 7 years (2018) on November 13th, when YOU turn 50 ?
Just something to think about. All the best and have a good one.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It doesn't surprise me one little bit that the far left would like to restrict voting to those under 35.

They allready have created a stranglehold on all of the major institutions - but most especially education.
The whole of which has been sytematically structured to make progressive ideas seem the norm.

I know! - I was the same until my midthirties - a default liberal,

It takes a lot of life experience, a lot of reading from original sources - to know for sure that liberals are mostly idiots and nothing they do ever works.

And that is why voting ought to be restricted to those over 50!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Course you might be surprised at how many over 50's don't vote anymore because they know it's a sham. Age is just a number!

Count Me there. Age is an attitude.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join