It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the over 50's from Voting

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I prefer the poll tax.

There should be some form of citizenship other than being alive that grants you the right to vote. If someone is able bodied and totally relying on the government, unless they are a student, they should not have the right. There should be a requirement to contribute in society in order to receive a dime of government assistance. Whether its cleaning parks, painting over graffiti, picking up litter along highways, something. Folks who are receiving government assistance who only vote for folks who promise and too often deliver more of it is a significant issue in the society.

Why is public housing so terrible in this country? Public housing is not awful in China. Its not awful in Japan (there is not much of it, but it exists). Its not that awful in Sweden or Denmark. Why? Because in the case of China, if you trash it they hammer you and in the other cases, there is some societal expectation that certain rules of behavior and living standards be required and expected. We have driven down our expectations and requirements of being a citizen that they essentially don't exist.

If you don't give back in some manner, you should not be allowed to vote.

I would go so far as to say that if you don't pay taxes you don't vote either if you are able bodied.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Everyone should have a right to vote, but who is to say what are 'rights' anymore in this forsaken country?

Older generation people usually refuse to learn to use a computer and therefore they are not able to come to the information that young people access on a daily basis. Things like sustainability and underground news help us see things that mainstream news won't show those that cannot access other mediums of news.

The informational gap is huge and that is why older people are screwing over the young people.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Ban all the under 30's from voting, they are all hipsters and they will only vote for the underdog no matter how bad they are.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Everything you just said screams NWO. What happens to the common man when there are more common men than any other part of society. Do we then resort back to the slavery system for the less fortunate? You are either a dumb sheep being led to slaughter or you are a wolf in sheep clothing guiding the herd. If I'm forced to be a sheep, I'll be the one whispering to the other sheep, wake up dummies or we are done for...LOOK there's a wolf right there! He's wearing Jim!!!! lol

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Not in the US. I'm not sure where you are from, but here in the US the young are too busy with hedonism to be bothered with protesting anything. Hell, the nation could go totally facist tomorrow and most of the zombie youth wouldn't even be aware of it.

And the 60's weren't a time of hedonism? Take off your rose coloured glasses the past was good because you were young. same as it ever was. There is no more or less idiocy than there ever was people just feel smarter if they act like that is the case.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
By the way I would like to add that there are already more common people in society than any other part. More of the so called middle class are joining the majority that is the underprivileged people of the world in poverty. This is what is causing so many to wake up, they have been cut off from the american dream which is only an illusion. They do not like it one bit. Most would take the illusion back if given the choice. This doesn't seem like it will happen for many. Rich nations force debt on third world countries by preying on the weaker nations, sharks in a pond of fish. If you broke down the populations of the world into upper, middle and lower class, who do you think is the majority by a long shot? Open your eyes, it's hard to see the truth when your mind is already made up on the matter. When people finally realize how massively we have all been fooled with the evidence all around us every day, the world will hopefully change for the better. My guess is people will continue on their path to destruction and death. There was hope in the 70's but it was only a glimmer. Peace was equated with being a hippie, therefore wrong and war and death became our masters. We send our young to fight in the elites war to secure our leaders the spoils of war in order to more effectively control us with their paper illusion of money. We think we know whats good for other nations, and punish them. We send our men and women to work in their factories building war materials that will kill far more of them than us. Peace should not be a bad thing. If the common man refused to kill their counterparts on the chessboard of a sick game, who would fight their war for the elites? The elites certainly would not risk their own lives or the lives of their own sons and daughters. The time is coming soon when the elites get scared enough to turn technology against the common people if the riots continue to spread. In fact it might be underway as we speak.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Where as I don totally agree with OP, I will say that "wisdom" (which is very rare in this world) is not a right of passage. Wisdom is consciously sought and acquired over years of inward seeking and personal development.
Just because you've lived and experienced more years of life means very little. In fact, the crystallization of collected beliefs can often close ones mind to new ideas.

I think that the government is so broken that it matters very little who is voted for. Now, wether it's the illuminate using the gov as a puppet or if it simply went bad on it's own...it's broken! A president has very little power. Our system of checks and balances has turned into a political civil war, where members of opposing parties will vote against what's right in their hearts in order to "win" or "beat" the other side. It's broken.

The only way to impart change is to be heard. The only way to be heard to have one strong, single voice. This is where the true genius in their plan lies. Black against white, right against left, pro this against anti that and on and on. They have us so spread thin that there's virtually no way to "unite" in the "United States".

So, ultimately we need to be heard and "vote" in a whole new way. Vote to fix what's broken. Vote with one voice. And this way of thinking we will need as many voices as possible. So over fifty? HELL YES!!! We need everyone!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
stop listening to stewart and gore.

this. why is it that my generation is amused by "poltical" humor but no action is taken? to quote a famous quote from the sub culture i hail from [[snip]] poltics lets riot
edit on Sat Apr 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Dawg, leave the voting to you? LOL you are the kind who got a moron voted into office in the first place.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

I am pushing 70 ... and I could NOT agree more!! My generation has brought this Nation to ruin. We should not be permitted to vote.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Ban me from voting and let the clueless conspiracy theorists educated by the vast majority of liberal teachers and higher educational institutions (if you get that far), who were brought up in a failed public educational system instead of me who has been working in this world, seen the many economic changes, and grew up when education taught you how to do math without your pocket calculators and Google, when we actually had to go to libraries and source the books ourselves that we needed to read to formulate any kind of objective analysis of an issue that was our homework assignments?

Really? Ja tink so? Its people like you that should not vote until you've earned a living for a while.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
How about we go back to the day when the requirements to vote consist of:

1) Men only
2) Must own property (land)

The country would be a much better place.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ah heck, why don't we all cut ourselves off from voting. It doesn't matter how you vote, the corrupt system wins out in the end.

For example: Years ago Californians voted overwhelmingly to deny social services and free hospital care to illegal aliens. That was quickly overturned by the courts as "unconstitutional". Did the republicans or democrats go to bat for the voters? Nah. The republicans like illegals because they keep wages down, and the democrats like them because the Hispanics, who support illegal immigration vote democratic, and every amnesty gives them (democrats) more and more voters.

As a California expat. I know, I was there. Check it out, I know it may be hard to believe, but it's true.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by moogins

If the politicians who vote to go to war actually had to fight it themselves, war would be abandoned.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The kind of totalitarian schools of thought being displayed in this thread are truly disheartening.

I guess some just aren't cut out for liberty.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

Not in the US. I'm not sure where you are from, but here in the US the young are too busy with hedonism to be bothered with protesting anything. Hell, the nation could go totally facist tomorrow and most of the zombie youth wouldn't even be aware of it.

And the 60's weren't a time of hedonism? Take off your rose coloured glasses the past was good because you were young. same as it ever was. There is no more or less idiocy than there ever was people just feel smarter if they act like that is the case.

OK, where are the massive numbers of unemployed college grads protesting in the US this week-end? Answer: home playing video games or texting each other over mindless issues. No heart, no values, no effort to change anything...brain-dead zombies who will accept anything BigGov shoves doen their pie holes.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
How horrifying, you sir must be very young.......50 is not old................Its called MIDLIFE!!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
How horrifying, you sir must be very young.......50 is not old................Its called MIDLIFE!!

Truth is the OP is a British person who LIVES in the US. He is from a country of mal-content slaves who worship the imbred royals of Buckinham Palace.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

If the politicians who vote to go to war actually had to fight it themselves, war would be abandoned.

You have apparently been brainwashed!

Would you care to venture a guess at what the following is? I already know you're not capable of finding information on your own, so the answer will be at the bottom.

George Washington
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ulysses S. Grant
Andrew Jackson
William H. Harrison
Zachary Taylor
Rutherford B. Hayes
James A. Garfield
Franklin Pierce
Benjamin Harrison
Theodore Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
Lyndon B. Johnson
Richard Nixon
James Monroe
William McKinley
Gerald Ford
John Tyler
John F. Kennedy
George H. W. Bush
James Buchanan

The above is a VERY short list of politicians that have served in combat. It is a very short list, because it only mentions those politicians that later became President of the United States.

Do yourself a favor, do some research for yourself, and DENY IGNORANCE for a change!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'll consider giving up my vote when you exempt me from the stupid assed laws that your votes are creating. Until then, Leonidas said it best: Molon Labe! Come and take my vote. Give it a try. Your young mind may come to understand that old folks make it to old age for a reason. We're the ones tough enough and smart to survive the lunacy of youth.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join