It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the over 50's from Voting

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Look up"Kent State"...thats where American Citizens were fired on with live ammo and killed for protesting the status quo....excercising their rights under that outdated piece of paper called "The Constitution"by the current powers in office....and okra windbag of course

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

I have a better idea, that will not affect people who fought for this country, like the over 50 group you stated. For now on people who do not pay taxes, those on welfare (not retirement or disability benefits), those parasites who have never held a job for more then 4 years, and those on medicaid (not medicare) who are not 55 and over be denied the right to vote. The 50 and older crowd who you hate so much, have paid their dues, and deserve the right to vote much more than the low lives who stay on the government teat all their lives. However, I do see why you would want this ban of our elders voting. These people see through the agenda of obama, and will no longer support him. Little do you know that majority 50 and under feel the same way. The only people who still blindly follow this man are from the very fringe of society.

Forgot to add that obama is a mere fad that is quickly disappearing, face it the spending party is over.
edit on 30-4-2011 by nonapologetic because: Forgot to add something

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I get this all the time - - on other boards as well.

What really gets me - - is people my age are from the 60s through 80s. Some of the wildest - free thinking - era in American history. Especially musically.

We are the Sex - Drugs - Rock n' Roll generation. What makes young people think we "Fart dust" - - and think "OLD"?

I have a better question for you. What is the recent surge of young Right Wing Conservative Christians? (no offense to normal Christians).

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nonapologetic

Good idea

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantom150
One day you'll be over 50!

I believe everyone has the right to vote, they paid taxes and the decisions will still affect them.

Selecting the age range on a poll is very misleading, shows you how we get statistics and why we are up #s creek.

"Everybody" doesn't pay taxes.

In fact, 47% of the people don't pay taxes. They 'depend' on government handouts and subsidies.

They shouldn't have the right to vote unless you show a filed tax return.

ONLY producers and property owners should have the right to vote.

Maybe then...just maybe....we can save this country from the radical Marxists who are currently wearing the coat of the Democratic Party.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

You have NO idea of history. It was the Boomers that fought the establishment for human rights. We brought them kicking and screaming into the 20th century. Obviously there were exceptions such as MLK, et al.

You bare absolutely correct. The funny thing is that the younger generation are not taught that is was conservatives are the ones who brought us equality. The democrats bucked against this legislation trying to prevent the civil rights laws from being voted on. Not sure why I am surprised, the young generation are the one who can't point their home state on a map.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I seem to have universally pissed everyone off with this.

Firstly let me tell you I am quite close to 50 myself, and I'm British not American, I only live in the U.S.

Maybe I was wrong to say 50 and that it should be a bit older, perhaps 65, but there should be a cut off age for voting. Some people will vote for a republican candidate regardless of how twisted and backward their policies are, they will just blindy vote republican without considering any factors. Thats pretty stupid in my book.

Even If I could vote I wouldnt, I consider voting as much of a waste of time as most politicians are. The voting system is just there to give us the illusion of choice and freedom, and as I and others pointed out, very open to manipulation.

If that makes me an anarchist I'm happy to be one. Luckily for now at least I still have the freedom to say these things, just as you have the freedom to disagree with me.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCPatriot
"Everybody" doesn't pay taxes.

In fact, 47% of the people don't pay taxes. They 'depend' on government handouts and subsidies.

They shouldn't have the right to vote unless you show a filed tax return.

ONLY producers and property owners should have the right to vote.

Hmmmmmmm.

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

US Constitution Amendment 24

Unless you don't agree with the Constitution.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745

Firstly let me tell you I am quite close to 50 myself, and I'm British not American, I only live in the U.S.

Maybe I was wrong to say 50 and that it should be a bit older, perhaps 65, but there should be a cut off age for voting.

If there should be a cut off age - - then it should be at the bottom - - not the top.

Yes - - young are idealistic and bring what they consider "new" thought and energy. They're thoughts are probably not "new" - - - they are just idealistic.

Idealism - - is a nice word. Age and experience brings reality - - not idealism.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Answer me this...

If young people are so smart and with it, why is it that most of those who graduated from college two years ago are still looking for work today?

Answer: Because employer's have experienced the mental slowness and indifference of the current crop of newly graduated young people. Because employers want trained, well informed OVER 50's workers who KNOW what to do and do it. Because older workers actually show up for work every day and on time. That's why they pay extra to keep their older workers.

And, that's why most of those who graduated from college two years ago are STILL looking for work today.

Nuff said!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Originally posted by romanmel

Ban the over 50's from Voting?

Are you so delusional as to believe that your vote is anything more than a fart in a whirlwind?

OK, I'm 64 and that's fine with me...I mean after all what have you got when you have the RIGHT to VOTE? Not much! Check out what the TRUTH about voting is. Watch this:

Now all you under 50's sheeple go for it,.. VOTE VOTE VOTE

Are you so delusional that you feel that the "ass" in your linked video had anything pertinent to say? Now I'm disappointed in myself for watching it!

Maybe I am too old to vote! Watching that was, no doubt, a bad decision on my part. Nothing there but propaganda!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 30-4-2011 by BenReclused because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

The voting system is just there to give us the illusion of choice and freedom, and as I and others pointed out, very open to manipulation.

Well then if that's the case, why in the everloving HELL are you saying to exclude people over fifty? EXCLUDE EVERYONE. No one should vote at all. And I don't argue that the system is just as messed up as everyone says. But I will say this much. I bet you wouldn't exclude that 50 year old man from voting after the revolution when he saves your ass from government thugs.

Face it dude, your idea is preposterous. What did you expect with a thread like this. I say ban the 13 people who gave you flags for this stupidity of a thread.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I don't know who said it but I've read it here, "If you aren't a liberal when you're young, you don't have a heart. If you aren't a conservative when you're older, you don't have a brain." That's not referring to parties but ideologies. It seems apt. Yin/yang, if you please. Kinda the way the US was set up with checks and balances. BOTH are needed. Would you say?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Oh the control freaks .
Let's see I'm 57 can I remember a time in my life when I didn't think I knew more than my parents.........Nope!
I guess you young people know better.

Remember what Marvin Gayes father told him before he shot him, "I brought you into this world and I can take you out".

Respect your elders!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

That was part of the joke. As my ATS moniker/persona implies. I changed it because nobody here would get the humor in it anyway. You didn't.

I can't believe that anyone could really take my posts or this thread seriously. I don't.

Like I said above, I think this thread is here for comic relief after we were all bludgeoned by the royal wedding coverage.

Moderators, please keep this thread going. I was only kidding ya about ending it. I know this thread will help bring the generations closer together. America doesn't need another generation gap like in the '50s and '60s. I appreciate your efforts and all the understanding and kind words here between the old and young people posting. God bless you all!

Sincerely,
M.W.L. Gwynplaine

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
Look up"Kent State"...thats where American Citizens were fired on with live ammo and killed for protesting the status quo....excercising their rights under that outdated piece of paper called "The Constitution"by the current powers in office....and okra windbag of course

I know about kent state, the G.I. protests etc. etc. I've looked into the era quite a bit in a effort to find out what was going on and how it changed things past the narrative I was taught in school. However that was one event that was harshly criticized after the fact. Today we have countries doing whatever they can to quash protests. It seems everyday I check the RSS ticker there are reports of another country firing on protestors yet they continue.

The idea that my generation is afraid to stand up to authority is laughable.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Im not pissed off. I thought it was utterly irrational and sort of dumb, but it didnt piss me off. There is a level of irrationality that is amusing. You hit that level for me.

Maybe I was wrong to say 50 and that it should be a bit older, perhaps 65, but there should be a cut off age for voting.

You were wrong for choosing 50, and no, there should not be cut off. My former neighbor at 82 not only votes Democrat, all her life, but she takes her 82 year old tail end out and knocks on doors, mans the polls on election day, and does any manner of things to promote a more liberal agenda. She is as sharp and rational, and informed as any human being I know, and granted, she sucks at technology, but she drives just fine. A little slower, perhaps, but thats because as you age your reaction time slows, and she is compensating for that. Again, perfectly rational.

Much more rational than the under 35s who get up on someones bumper at 65 mph, when no quickness of reaction time will allow them to stop under those circumstances.

There should not be a cut off age for voting. Perhaps an argument could be made that the senile should not be allowed to vote, but your argument is taking the form of;

"I do not like Republicans. More old people (your assumption, I havent seen the actual data) vote Republican. I dont like that. Therefore, older people should not be allowed to vote."

If you dont see how that is just pure self centered foolishness, I dont know what to tell you.

Some people will vote for a republican candidate regardless of how twisted and backward their policies are, they will just blindy vote republican without considering any factors. Thats pretty stupid in my book.

Then address the real problem. Which is that both parties tend to pick their demographic, and tell them what appeals to their self interest, while doing whatever they want. Which party is behaving in ways that are not twisted and backward at this point? They are both starting wars, increasing military spending, bailing out banks and corporations, deregulating corporations while attacking the right of people to form unions or bring class action suits. Democrats signed in NAFTA.

Which party is the party that is acting in the best interests of the people?

I will give you a hint. Neither of them.

If that makes me an anarchist I'm happy to be one. Luckily for now at least I still have the freedom to say these things, just as you have the freedom to disagree with me.

It actually doesnt make you an anarchist. It makes you politically apathetic. Which is one of the main ways the current power structure is promoting an agenda and policies that do not make sense for the human citizens and or residents of the US.

Do you have the saying "clean up your own backyard first" in Britain? If so, heed the advice. Get over your political apathy and your buying into the two party fallacy and check back in with us later.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Well, that answers a lot of questions. So you are British over here living off Americans. Ain't that special!

You had to come over here to enjoy our freedoms. Now you want to tell us how to live. A subject slave of the inbred monarchy wants to tell us a thing or two. The old saying "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", comes to mind.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This thread is just so not cool

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
Answer me this...

If young people are so smart and with it, why is it that most of those who graduated from college two years ago are still looking for work today?

Yeah it couldn't have anything to do with the state of the economy. All those people who couldn't find work in the 30's it was because they were slow and didn't show up to work.

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into your theory there, but I know quite a few educated and punctual over 50's who can't find work either.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join