It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controlling a dream, is it possible? and how?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tempest501

I know it is legal in the US excluding Louisiana. I think it is legal in the UK. To be honest I only did the prescription drug and the "dream herb" in congruence so I can't say whether one had more effect than the other. When my insomnia cleared up I no longer did it. It can be smoked or mixed to make a tea.

I would recommend a cup of the tea before bed. Before all this I tried meditation. It always helps.

I've since lost control of my dreams and only have a lucid one where I may control it every couple weeks (if I'm lucky).

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask the adept Lucid Dreamers out there a question.

I have been using my dream Journal since the 10th May and my dream recall has been getting better and better but for some reason the last three days its been terrible. Yesterday I couldnt remember anythign at all. Today I rember a little but no as much as before is this normal?

Just when I thought I was getting somewhere lol

Peace

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I managed to remember my dream from last night alltho was a real struggle to piece the details together. Maybe I am trying to hard.

Weird thing is I keep dreaming about old school friends at the moment and I have no idea why.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
i think what u have experienced is an inception

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This actually happens to me all the time....

In one dream i could actually almost fly... It was actually a jump...but i jumped so high....like at least 100 feet into the air... Unfortunatly when i came down i landed in the water and sunk like a rock, which woke me up.

Its really awesome to control your dreams!!

The trick is to realize you're asleep without that realization waking you up from the shock... The realization of yourself dreaming hits you like a thud, your heart skips a beat which will wake you up if you can't relax afterward.

Great fun though

GL

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Dude, I am like that too. Infact, before I learned about lucid dreaming and all that jazz, I thought *everybody* could control their own dreams.

Its a shame I don't dream that much anymore...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueOysterCult

Ding!

I love giving people their first star!!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I just gave up on trying to rewrite my entire philosophy on dream control in a single post, Instead I'll redirect you to a thread I made elsewhere on the subject.

www.dreamviews.com...

But to sum it up, beliefs are irrelevant in dream control. There are 4 simple rules you can use to accomplish anything, and it is my contention that they apply to real life as much as they do to dreams.

1. Everything requires your attention to exist.

2. The more attention you give something, the more related detail it creates, the more real it becomes.

3. Strong emotions have a powerful effect on your environment

4. Everything in dreams is an archetype.

To give a brief example of control, lets go with flying. I notice the OP has a Superman avatar, and almost everyone tries to fly like superman in dreams. This is far from ideal. The problem is that your personal archetype of movement in that position were formed while swimming, and as a result. what often happens is the attempted flight defaults to swimming physics. For more reliable flight, it's best to fly from a standing position, or a sitting position like driving a car. The more stable and reinforced an archetype is, the more reliable it is for control purposes. Since we are much more accustomed to moving while walking, flying from a standing position is much more ideal for dream flight.

There are also ideal speed/height ratios for dream flight. Since everything requires your attention to exist, flying too fast too close to the ground can cause problems because your surroundings tend to blurs by you. THose surrounding require you attention to exist, and without being able to focus on them, the cease to exist, and the dream falls apart. This is why you can't fly faster than the speed of light in a dream, no matter how hard you try or how good your are at control and flying. Your surrounding blur out of existence, and since you can't have movement without moving relative to something else, you lose all sense of movement and just kind of hang there before waking up. Going too slow while too height is not good either because you lose your sense of movement.

It's a very complex subject for only 4 rules, and I encourage anyone interested to read my thread or just ask my any questions you may have.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Thank you for the info I will check it out.

Peace

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
I just gave up on trying to rewrite my entire philosophy on dream control in a single post, Instead I'll redirect you to a thread I made elsewhere on the subject.

www.dreamviews.com...

But to sum it up, beliefs are irrelevant in dream control. There are 4 simple rules you can use to accomplish anything, and it is my contention that they apply to real life as much as they do to dreams.

1. Everything requires your attention to exist.

2. The more attention you give something, the more related detail it creates, the more real it becomes.

3. Strong emotions have a powerful effect on your environment

4. Everything in dreams is an archetype.

To give a brief example of control, lets go with flying. I notice the OP has a Superman avatar, and almost everyone tries to fly like superman in dreams. This is far from ideal. The problem is that your personal archetype of movement in that position were formed while swimming, and as a result. what often happens is the attempted flight defaults to swimming physics. For more reliable flight, it's best to fly from a standing position, or a sitting position like driving a car. The more stable and reinforced an archetype is, the more reliable it is for control purposes. Since we are much more accustomed to moving while walking, flying from a standing position is much more ideal for dream flight.

There are also ideal speed/height ratios for dream flight. Since everything requires your attention to exist, flying too fast too close to the ground can cause problems because your surroundings tend to blurs by you. THose surrounding require you attention to exist, and without being able to focus on them, the cease to exist, and the dream falls apart. This is why you can't fly faster than the speed of light in a dream, no matter how hard you try or how good your are at control and flying. Your surrounding blur out of existence, and since you can't have movement without moving relative to something else, you lose all sense of movement and just kind of hang there before waking up. Going too slow while too height is not good either because you lose your sense of movement.

It's a very complex subject for only 4 rules, and I encourage anyone interested to read my thread or just ask my any questions you may have.

This is the best post I have seen in the thread so far. We are on the same page without doubt.
Interesting, the link I posted earlier with Thomas Campbell goes into more detail about what we are both describing. We are really discussing our REALITY more so than simply dream worlds etc... We DO create as we perceive...or more specifically...consciousness and it's perception is necessary for existence as we recognize it. Emotion has a huge effect on these 'levels' of consciousness. I would term these 'levels' as a particular level of conscious focus. For instance, the dream world is pretty loose level of conscious awareness and meditation is a fairly deep level of consciousness awareness as is our 'everyday reality'. However both are still derivatives of our ability to focus our conscious awareness.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Spirit Warrior 11:11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There have been a few occasions when this has happened for me.

I remember one in particular when I was a high schooler and in the dream I was sitting in the principals office for some kind of big trouble I had cause (this actually happened often to me in high school in real life.) I was in the principals office and my parents were on their way and I was really freaking out in this dream. Then it dawned on me...wait, this is only a dream. So the rest of the dream wasn't so terrifying.

I can't say I've ever experienced controlling the dream, but once I realize it's a dream it changes the way I feel about what's happening in the dream. Kind of nice when it's a bad dream.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior 11:11

This is the best post I have seen in the thread so far. We are on the same page without doubt.
Interesting, the link I posted earlier with Thomas Campbell goes into more detail about what we are both describing. We are really discussing our REALITY more so than simply dream worlds etc... We DO create as we perceive...or more specifically...consciousness and it's perception is necessary for existence as we recognize it.

I'll have to look into Thomas Campbell.

I'm convinced we do create our realities. To the point that we don't exist in a stable shared reality, but that we each create our own universe. This became apparent by studying shared dreams. WHen you find accounts that include the version of the shared dream from both parties, you see that each dreamer experiences their own unique and individual dream. There is some overlap, but generally shared dreamers interact from separate realities.

THis happens in the waking world as well. Two people look at the same dog. One is an animal lover and sees a cute little animal. The other was mauled by a dog previously, and sees it as a potential monster. Same dog, yet it's perceived differently by both individuals. This is the kind of personal differences that show up between 2 accounts of shared dreaming.

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior 11:11 Emotion has a huge effect on these 'levels' of consciousness.

Not just on levels of consciousness, on everything. The first time I realized the effect emotions had in dreams, I dreamed I was getting frustrated at work. My bad mood kept building up until it finally snapped and exploded outwards like a blast wave from an explosion. I watched as the wave washed over everything, altering the dream. Colors became harsher, angles became sharper, the dream characters (humans and a dog) suddenly became aggressive. The change was so dramatic I was awed, realized I was dreaming and started experimenting with other emotions. Emotions are one of the best ways to control the behavior of your dream characters.

Of course later I realized that it works the same way in the waking world. Being in a bad or good mood fundamentally changes how you see the world around you. Other people pick up on your emotions, and it changes the way they behave just like dream characters.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tempest501
reply to post by AlexKintner

Just wondered if this dream herb is safe? also is it legal in the uk do you know?

Did it really help you in the past?

Sorry for all the questions

You don't need to take anything. The most I would do is take some Melatonin. This will definitely work. And it is safe because doctors even give it to children to help them sleep. It's also natural. This will greatly enhance dream recall because you will easily stay in that in-between state as you wake each time. I don't know how this will affect your ability to focus and control though. I have used it before a few times. Not for initiating a lucid dream however.

And don't worry about always remembering everything. There are phases to everything. There is a ebb and flow. Give it time and you'll be back in the right part of the cycle. Also, the moon has a big effect on dreams and emotions. If you are experimenting it might help identify personal patterns to log the moon phase in your dream book. Then go back a month or so and look for patterns. Then use that data to help you moving forward.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior 11:11

reply to post by AlexKintner

Just wondered if this dream herb is safe? also is it legal in the uk do you know?

Did it really help you in the past?

Sorry for all the questions

You don't need to take anything. The most I would do is take some Melatonin. This will definitely work. And it is safe because doctors even give it to children to help them sleep. It's also natural. This will greatly enhance dream recall because you will easily stay in that in-between state as you wake each time. I don't know how this will affect your ability to focus and control though. I have used it before a few times. Not for initiating a lucid dream however.

And don't worry about always remembering everything. There are phases to everything. There is a ebb and flow. Give it time and you'll be back in the right part of the cycle. Also, the moon has a big effect on dreams and emotions. If you are experimenting it might help identify personal patterns to log the moon phase in your dream book. Then go back a month or so and look for patterns. Then use that data to help you moving forward.

Hi,

Thanks for the info i will try to take a note in my dream journal of what the moon is like.

Last night I was so close to having a Lucid dream. I was dreaming and saw something strange and it made me think oh this must be a dream. I then actually did one of my reality check which is to look at my hands but my subconcious or something tricked me because when I did it everything still seemed so real that I then changed my mind in my dream and thought it was real =C

So close though

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Still trying hard but nothing as yet struggling to remember stuff again. I was so close as I said in last post but since been hard to recall but weird thing is I have been recalling stuff during the day. How weird is that?

Peace

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Hi guys,

I had a question for the Lucid Dreamers out there. In my quest to learning to lucid dream I have been reading lots of information. I came across this:

"Tonight, set your alarm clock to go off after you've had 4.5 hours of sleep. This should rouse you during a longer REM sleep phase, producing immediate dream recall. (Dream experts agree that we tend to only remember dreams when we awaken directly from the dream. If we go straight on into a deeper sleep, the dream is lost forever.) Have a notebook by your bedside and when your alarm goes off, immediately write down all the details of the dream you were having." (www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com...)

I am a bit reluctant to try this because I suffer from insomnia a bit and I am worried that if I set my alarm for middle of the night that I wont be able to sleep again.

What do you guys think?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I am a bit reluctant to try this because I suffer from insomnia a bit and I am worried that if I set my alarm for middle of the night that I wont be able to sleep again.

What do you guys think?

I'm with you on that one, I don't use any methods that require waking yourself up for precisely that reason. If you're just working on recall, it's kind of like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it becomes.

Personally I find how you wake up is more important, and in that regard, alarms are not helpful. I usually wake up 5-10 minutes before my alarm, which is ideal for recall. IF you wake up to a distraction, it completely wipes out your recall. When you wake, try not to move or focus on anything external, recall will come, Dreams will often leave a lingering feeling, and you can encourage recall by focusing on that feeling.

My advice in your quest for lucidity is to be patient, and work on your recall, If you can recall dreams almost everynight, it will happen eventually. It may take months but it will happen.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

All you need to do is root your desire into your subconscious. This takes effort and will. The subconscious needs to be reminded constantly that this is what you want. When you always keep it as important to remember your dreams you will do that more and more. Writing them down is the most important thing. Even if you only remember one detail..even just a color...write it down and date it. This is a signal to the subconscious more than anything else which tells it that you find this important. It will come around and help given enough time and effort. It is a cumulative effect.

The second most important thing is our intent. You can set this as an affirmation just before sleeping. Keep it in the present tense and NEVER use any negative connotations. Example of a good one: "I easily recall my dreams" here is a bad one " I will not forget my dreams"... the words 'not' and 'forget' both will have the opposite effect you desire.

The 'time' method works. This method, however, is much better for initiating an OBE than a lucid dream.

You can also use the affirmation method for insomnia...and there are many many other methods which deal with this also. There is a very effective Hemi-Sync CD for this as well.

Insomnia may be a clue for you...this, in my world, means you have an imbalance. Try correcting this imbalance and the 'effect' of insomnia will go away. This could be a simple or complex task.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

you experienced a lucid dream. if you go to

www.dreamviews.com...

you can learn more about lucid dreaming and how to control your dreams and hw to have more of them

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join