It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Claim to Have PlayStation Users’ Card Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Security researchers said Thursday that they had seen discussions on underground Internet forums indicating that the hackers who infiltrated the Sony PlayStation Network last week may have made off with the credit card numbers of Sony customers.

source

Just when you thought you were out of the deep end of this pool, here we go. There is a screenshot on the page listed above which shows a post about what this supposed database of information contains. They have ccn, cvv2, exp date in addition to the rest of the stuff they already submitted as being compromised.

If you are a PSN user, I hope you are checking your balances closely, putting up fraud alerts, or getting new cards immediately. The longer you wait on this the greater your chance of being robbed blind could be.

Here are some alternate source tidbits on the subject:

A House of Representatives subcommittee sent a letter to Sony on Friday asking for information about the attack on the Sony Playstation Network by hackers last week. The gaming network has 77 million registered users.

The letter, which was addressed to Mr. Kazuo Hirai, chairman of Sony, asked the company to answer a detailed list of questions related to the intrusion. It wants a reply by May 6.

Congress has questions

In a new, late night edition of PlayStation Blog's Q&A, Sony responds to our outcries for compensation, saying, "We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online."

Sony reaches out

Sony Corp could face legal action across the globe after it delayed disclosing a security breach of its popular PlayStation Network

Maybe a little too late

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Got here before you.

edit on 29-4-2011 by shikori because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Kevin Stevens

@KingNYC1 This is not BS. It is called seeing a post on a forum and tweeting about it. I already clearly stated that I had not seen the DB

edit on 29-4-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I cannot see where the actual Hackers are claiming this.

Thre are already a number of threads on here regarding this, perhaps you should just add to those?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thank god that Xbox Live has not been hacked into. Bill Gates must have some sort of uber cyber security wall set up (or at least I hope so).

It sounds like Sony is totally screwed. Not only does it have costs to deal with the Tsunami in Japan, but getting hit with lawsuits will put the global giant into bankruptcy mode.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Do you tend to hang around on carding forums?

Kevin Stevens, senior threat researcher at the security firm Trend Micro,

The guy isn't a nobody if his hearing talk about it I would be worried.

Nice pic in the first link the op posted I like the sig

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
So wait, what? They may have MY credit card details!?

Why?

Because they can't play Playstation like normal people and have to "Mod" it, get in trouble, and then have to get into a little B*tchfest with Sony.

And then people like me, who just enjoy playing the games, get their stuff comprimised!

Might just go back to the old school "Nintendo 64" and "Super Nintendo". Never had any of this Bull to put up with, and the games were addicting as hell

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

The pic in the first post merely illustrates hear say, I am not saying that they do not have the information, but it is hear say none the less.

I do not know the guy who has been on these hacker sites, but maybe the authorities should be focusing on these people as opposed to totally blaming Sony, although they must take a fair percentage of the blame.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BourneConspiracy

Because they can't play Playstation like normal people and have to "Mod" it, get in trouble, and then have to get into a little B*tchfest with Sony.

Do you own a computer? Have you ever installed new software on your computer? Congratulations, you have successfully modded your computer.

If I buy a Playstation, then that Playstation becomes my property, I can mod it till my heart's content. Why? Because its my property. People should not be getting in trouble for making changes to their property.

It would be like if I bought a car, added new parts to the engine (or just built my own), and then the manufacturer tries to sue me or something.

And then people like me, who just enjoy playing the games, get their stuff comprimised!

Actually, Sony has had their undergarments in a twist regarding their customers modding their hardware for years. They tried to crackdown on people modding their PSP's by updating the firmware, but we all found ways around it.

For whatever reason Sony gets butthurt thinking about people developing home-made applications for their consoles. My guess would be that these "hackers" are actually Sony themselves. As you can see, you are clearly upset now at people not being "normal" like yourself, and if Sony says you have to pay them money so they can update their security, I am sure you would oblige to make yourself feel "safer."

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Indeed but if the underground has started posting about (trying to sell) it it's not good news, yes it could be a hoax to make some quick cash but I would lean on the side of caution, I posted who the guy is and I doubt these guys will be found

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BourneConspiracy

Why?

Might just go back to the old school "Nintendo 64" and "Super Nintendo". Never had any of this Bull to put up with, and the games were addicting as hell

I'll be going further and start playing the original Nintendo
heheh..you can't beat Super Mario Bros. 3

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BourneConspiracy

Why?

I feel as though you are misinformed on the issue.
The people sony are suing didn't do anything illegal, geohotz and the other os guys(only people sony is suing) essentially "jailbroke" the ps3 so it could have the other os feature back to run linux on the ps3. Jail breaking is completely legal. Your credit card and my credit card data being in bad guys hands has no direct relation to geohotz, the dude who did the "Mod".

To explain it from the perspective of Anon:
The reason the database was vulnerable to attack was because sony had a #y network and even worse security. Once the network was under the stress of Anons virtual sit in protest, aka LOIC, it crippled the network and psn even when the sit in was over. Afterwards sony should have been able to get their # back together in a reasonable time if they were serious business but since they couldn't some hackers, outside of anon, swooped in and did work. Sony got caught with their pants down there's not much else to it. Sony is to blame for the following: removing other os, suing innocent people(who are only bring back said feature), pissing off Anon, weak network and security, losing our data, and treating it's customers poorly. That being said you need to understand that the actions of Anonymous are not taken out by a single person and they are always pure in cause but full of LULZ. Anon was only defending the right's of geohotz, sony customers, and all consumers; the act of hacking the database and stealing is, in and of itself, directly against the cause of Anonymous and void by the definition of Anonymous.

With peace,
MallardDuck
Also, if you hack your ps3 you can play NES, SNES, and N64 games on your ps3...it's awesome.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MallardDuck

Show your sources that this wasn't members of anon (not the press release) you see just because a press release was put out dosen't mean it's not members of anonymous (got to love how people have given it's members such slack) and your last part is pure roll around on the floor funny, anon aren't protectors of anything they are a bunch of trolls who have been led to do what others want like the sheep they are.

view.samurajdata.se...

Worth a read for the people who only just seemed to of learned of who anon are or the people who's memory's are slightly lacking.
edit on 30-4-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

On a random site cos took pictures of anon vandalism of the churches (shame it was cos or I would of saved them)
edit on 30-4-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

No, Microsoft just didn't do anything to piss Anonymous off.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
blog.us.playstation.com...

SOME PLAYSTATION®NETWORK AND QRIOCITY™ SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK
Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally;
System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

nvestigators found a file implicating the "hacktivist" group Anonymous in the security breach that led to the theft of the personal details of more than 100 million online gamers, electronics company Sony has told the US Congress.

In a letter to Congress, Sony said the data theft came at the same time it was defending itself against a cyber-attack from members of Anonymous.

Forensic experts found a file on one of the hacked systems, titled Anonymous, which contained a phrase – "We are legion" – that is sometimes used by the hackers' collective, said Sony chairman Kazuo Hirai in the letter to members of the House of Representatives.

"What is becoming more and more evident is that Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber-attack designed to steal personal and credit card information for illegal purposes," he told the House commerce committee, who have launched an inquiry into the matter.

Going to be interesting to see what the normal suspects have to say.
edit on 5-5-2011 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

top topics

join