It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disk read error after installing Linux partition.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Last night I tired to put Linux as a partition on my desktop, I think I asked for too much space, Now when I try to boot the heard drive it says "Disk read error" Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete...

I tried my Win XP disk, but it stopps at "Setup is detecting your computers hardware information", I walked away for a long time and it did not do anything.

I don't want to do a full reformat YET, I would like to get a few files off of it. (Thats why I wanted to do a partition)

I set my Bios back to default.

Any suggestions?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

Run a Linux disk in 'Live' mode, grab those files you want to keep, burn them to disk - that would be my first move.

Edit - re reading your post I would suggest pulling the hard drive connector lead (IDE or SATA) and re seating them after giving them a little blow - it's surprising how often that works... Hopefully you can boot off the Linux disk in live mode and see those files (they take a bit of looking for) and then you can copy them some how, burn to disk, flash drive, slaved hard drive, email, FTP these are all options.
edit on 29/4/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by Tygart

Run a Linux disk in 'Live' mode, grab those files you want to keep, burn them to disk - that would be my first move.

Edit - re reading your post I would suggest pulling the hard drive connector lead (IDE or SATA) and re seating them after giving them a little blow - it's surprising how often that works... Hopefully you can boot off the Linux disk in live mode and see those files (they take a bit of looking for) and then you can copy them some how, burn to disk, flash drive, slaved hard drive, email, FTP these are all options.
edit on 29/4/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

I tried to move them from the Live CD and it said to run chkdsk /f but Linux does not recognize that since its a windows command.

I tried to delete some of the partition but that failed too.

I will try unhooking the HDD.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

Well you understand that while you are running the live disk you are in a Linux 'environment' you have simply side stepped the windows operating system (that is installed on your hard drive) and are running a self contained operating system off the disk. In effect you have sort of slaved the hard drive to the disk in your disk drive, you can see the files on the hard drive, copy them, move them around, but because you are now in a Linux system looking at files saved in a windows OS there may be issues opening them - but that does not mean you cant simply copy them to a media of your choice.

A second option is to pull your hard drive and slave it to another desktop running windows - then you are just looking at a new drive.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
for your consideration
Hiren's BootCD

new topics

top topics

join