It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are YOU preparing for?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
In a word....FEMA.
They couldn't organize a phone book in an outhouse.

If/when the SHTF I don't want to have to depend on anybody for my family's safety, security, and food. During this last run of tornadoes one hit less than 5 miles from my house. We've been hit by ice storms that left us without power for three weeks. Hurricane Hugo left us without power for six weeks.

My parents grew up during the depression. It's just a way of life for me.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

Hehe... Astro the ET's running this farm like to keep the sheeple well fed.

Not to say food lines are safe, though. This next year is going to be beyond what most, including even myself, can fathom. It's a good idea to be prepared for anything, or like you said be at the whim of others.

Hoarding is rather useless... It's kept hush hush, but BIG change is on the horizon.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura
reply to post by Astr0

Hehe... Astro the ET's running this farm like to keep the sheeple well fed.

Not to say food lines are safe, though. This next year is going to be beyond what most, including even myself, can fathom. It's a good idea to be prepared for anything, or like you said be at the whim of others.

Hoarding is rather useless... It's kept hush hush, but BIG change is on the horizon.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

^^ This.

'ET' is indeed running this farm - and this is from some one who not six months ago was an avowed skeptic up to my eyeballs. Now? after listening to some people who seperated don't tell such a great tale, but add all their tales together? my mind went a little #poof# and snapped into 'yeah why not. If I get ready then fine. If it all goes square then I've got a gathering of like minded people'. If it doesn't and the world rolls on, I got loads of bushcraft kit to utilise!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I am a student of history, specifically the collapse of complex societies. Personally I am convinced that western civilization has crossed over a tipping point, and is beginning to pick up speed on the down slope toward cultural oblivion. The human race will almost certainly survive, but probably with only with a total transformation of our values, and with few or none of our societal institutions intact.

My wife is the only person who knows me in real life who understands my outlook, or has any inkling of the hours I've put into my studies. A lot of late nights online, lot of saturdays at the library, a lot of "research" at work that dosn't have immediate bearing on my job.

I don't consider myself a "survivalist," since those folks carry a lot of baggage about being gun toting, camo-clad rambo wannabees.

I come closest to being a "prepper"

My preparations are largely disguised as "time with the kids." We do a lot of gardening, a lot of hunting and fishing, a lot of processing our own food and "stocking up," to "save money."

I'm also prepared to be wrong. But then, even if I am, we still end up with solid finances, good food, and and fun memories as a family together.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyHermit

WAR! i dont care if I die, this thing has to be done! one way or the other this # gonna hit the fan! I rather die trying than live like a slave. Bring it on, I am not gonnalike dying but relly who cares

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I prep...so if something happens that I can have what I need to get by and have as close to a normal life as possible during whatever it is that happened....
That being said...you could have food, water, gear, camping supplies, fishing, and hunting equipment.
How much you get is on you, what you think will happen...should be most likely to least likely...that is the order you should prep.
We could have a fire, tornado, hurricane, floods, loss of job, riots, flu pandemic, economic collapse, martial law, all out war or anyother thing you can think of... that disrupts your everyday normal life.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i'm preparing to ride out the extremes in resource availability, the outrageous increases in the costs for common things we have been taking for granted in the last 40 some years...

gasoline rationing, food rationing, wage & price controls galore...
gold and silver (coin/bullion/stocks = but No ETFs) as true value assets

so i continue to buy the usual stuff i use on sale or discount, but i did stock up on larger cannisters of coffee that were priced @ $5.99 ea. but here on 30-04-11 those same plastic bulk containers are priced $11.77 & $13.54---these were purchased for trade items...
also a few liters each of JackDaniels & Vodka, & Wines for trade.
the rest are fruits/veggies/canned-packaged meat/fish protein...TP, cases of brew, & all sorts of stuff to fill a pantry & or several very large fishing boat coolers...solar/handcrank radio/SW...too much to list or tell

i look back at the first few years of life at the DP Camp (displaced-persons camp in germany) and know that a loaf of white-wheat bread with jam was a rare treat...and one would fill up on that measly morsel because a pot-roast or such was a day-dream..potatoes, legumes were a staple, everthing else was luxury of abundance

i have pointed out before that i entered the world in want and desitiution & i expect the world to cycle back to that scenario as i age off into obscurity... i expect the elites in america to distance themselves from the riffraff who will scratch out an existance in spite of them who would ignore the huddled masses

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Uh oh...the edit time expired:

to get informed of what i'm prepping for.... listen to this link:

www.stansberryresearch.com...
(AKA: www.endofamerica38.com)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
well I'm a noob at this whole prepping thing and it was purely boredom / my love of making lists that has drawn me to it!

Researching around I don't buy into any 2012 or aliens taking over (although it would be the best day ever if they made contact!!!) etc its purely just looking at things in the UK. Both socially (increase in unrest and rioting / increase in extremist muslims etc) the fact we've not actually bounced back from a depression and heading into another, a so called double dip. And a whole host of things. Not an end of the world thing, a I don't like to be dependent on a government that willingly screws over its population with mass immigration, destruction of health services, financial problems

As for prepping, I've a nice source of oxygen absorbers waaayyy cheaper than most sites, mylar bags, have bought a food dehydrator and researched long term food / water storage. And with this months disposable income rather than go out partying, it'll be spent on useful resources and home gym. I'm Home growing veg using nice innovative blue and red LED's for increased crop and turn around, putting together a BOB and nice safe area I can ski-daddle to should needs be, a bug in and bug out plan essentially.

general fitness training and martial arts along with some other methods of self defense and procuring food.

so it's more of a general prep rather than for say 2012 end of the world or some other ELE ....

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

The better question would be what are you not preparing for. floods, fire, EQ, war: civil, nuke bio/chem long term, short term, tornado's and hurricanes. my self live in Utah can you guess which one i am not ready for? hint, CA. has not had one either

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

I wanted to create this thread to ask you why you are stocking up on survival gear, this question is directed at each individual person, it's not a bash, i'm interested to know your own personal reasons for it, maybe you have a belief? or maybe you just want to be safe rather than sorry incase something bad happens.

(the word you were thinking of was "justify"...you can't justify the cost)

As for me, here in FL, we prep for hurricane season every year, so this is really just an extension of that.

I'm no believer in any one scenario...but that's the good thing. The steps are the same regardless of what SHTF scenario you fear....

1) Secure your home
2) Stockpile essentials
3) Arm up
4) Know/learn skills to help you survive
5) Have some supplies you can flee with if you have to

Whether a zombie uprising or the collapse of the global economy, all of these steps are the same, and I hope I'll be ready enough if/when it happens.

Unlike a lot of would-be preppers, I'm NOT looking forward to it happening. I like modern conveniences. I like going to the supermarket vs. farming or hunting. I like the Internet, cell phones, etc.

But, if I'm able, I have no qualms about trying to ensure my loved ones live through it. I try to keep these aims pretty low-key, lest folks think I'm nuts...but my friends know where to go if the SHTF, and I'm prepping for them too. After all, if you don't have friends in a SHTF scenario, well, it's a lot more lonely.

Besides, more mouths to feed, but more available labor and skills too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join