It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs executive order putting sanctions on Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Obama signs executive order for new sanctions on Syria intelligence agency, two relatives of Syrian president - US officials

This is just the opening salvo of what's coming. I wouldn't rule out a Lybian-style intervention to bring Iran in the mix. Before that we'll surely harder sanctions put into place.

And it's funny to see Obama use executive powers like that when he screamed when Bush did it.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

More dictatorship rule by Obama..
That's change you better believe in.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
He'll get us into as many wars as he can up until the election. I think that "they" know that he won't be elected again, and that he needs to milk it for everything it's worth. The next president will get elected on promises of "Bringing our Troops Home", but that will never happen for a bunch of false reasons, and they'll just continue down the list. Lebanon, Somalia, Sudan and Iran are still left, they've got some work to do!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If anyone from NATO intervenes it would be Turkey, of course this can also backfire.

sanction are somehow effective, but they require months, even years to create a noticeable change

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why can't the UN sanction Emir Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa while they're at it?

I see the agenda here.

GO ASSAD! Kill every dissent, because with every dissent dead, that's 1 less agent working for the CIA/Mossad. No civilian casualties, just media manipulation. So don't tell me civilians are dying there. Because there is a foreign army occupying Bahrain right now, and there's no resolution being passed about that.

Smoke and mirrors.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Sanctions bring peace, right? Someone needs to give Obama the Nobel Peace Prize!... oh, wait a minute!...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

Related

Turkey supports Syria's reforms: FM
2011-04-29 22:33:29

news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-04/29/c_13852382.htm

ANKARA, April 29 (Xinhua) -- Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Friday Turkey expects reforms to be carried out in Syria and supports the government's efforts to meet its people's demands, local media reported.

Turkey expects the Syrian administration to implement political, social, economic and security-related reforms and to take some visible steps, the semi-official Anatolia news agency quoted Davutoglu as saying during the ruling Justice and Development Party's election campaign in central province of Konya.

"Turkey does what is necessary for Syria and it extends all the support to help the country meet the demands of its people," he was quoted as telling reporters.

(...)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well, I guess it would be cheaper to just have the troops walk from Iraq to Syria than ship them home...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The only legitimate laws are ones passed by the United States Congress, executive orders are completely illegitimate thus void. There are no official sanctions on Syria unless the Congress decides to place the sanctions, which so far they have not.

I do however see sanctions as a useful tool used to punish countries which violate basic human rights.

Even with these sanctions however it will do little in the way of actually hurting Syria because their country does 20% of its trading with Europe. If the European nations decided to place sanctions on Syria then it would be significant.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Agence France Presse - EU moves to sanction Syria regime: diplomats
29/04/2011

wires.univision.com/english/article/2011-04-29/eu-moves-to-sanction-syria-1

The European Union agreed in principle Friday to impose an arms embargo against Syria and prepare additional measures to punish the regime for a bloody crackdown against protests, diplomats said.

EU ambassadors meeting in Brussels decided to launch preparations for an embargo on the sale of weapons and equipment that might be used for internal repression, a European diplomat told AFP.

(...)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
OK, I was dubya's biggest critic.

I have tried to give obama a chance, I have watched, waited and tried to understand where he is coming from.

He has failed.

This leads me to think that the position of US president is nothing more than a sop to the masses, and that the real power lies elsewhere.

Shame on you Mr Obama, you are doing yourself no favours.

s&f OP
edit on 29/4/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

I wouldnt hold my breath on Iran.. They seem to be hacing some major internal displacement issues of their own. Apparently the tuiff between the President and the Ayatolah are very strained right now.

ATS Thread

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

The President of the United States is also our Chief Diplomat per our Constitution. The Senate already ratified trade treaties etc with Syria, and the President is within his authority to issue EO to guide those treaties in events like this.

Unless you were trying to make an example on something else he did?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

The President of the United States is also our Chief Diplomat per our Constitution. The Senate already ratified trade treaties etc with Syria, and the President is within his authority to issue EO to guide those treaties in events like this.

Mate. Why do you Americans pay all the salaries for a congress and their secretaries if the President doesn't see fit to ask their opinion??

Doesn't make sense..
Just call it a dictatorship and save on wages..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Its called seperation of powers, with each branch of government responsible for areas layed out in the Constitution. The onlything I can think of in terms of advise and consent is when the President names his cabinet.

Dictatorship style would be more akin to Iran or Saudi Arabia as a comparison with regards to diplomacy and treaties.

But hey.. if you think its a dictatorship, more power to ya. Also, would it kill you to maybe learn just a little bit about how the US Government works before going down this road. This isnt the hamas weapon thread, so lets not bring that disagreement into this thread.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Its called seperation of powers, with each branch of government responsible for areas layed out in the Constitution. The onlything I can think of in terms of advise and consent is when the President names his cabinet.
Dictatorship style would be more akin to Iran or Saudi Arabia as a comparison with regards to diplomacy and treaties.
But hey.. if you think its a dictatorship, more power to ya. Also, would it kill you to maybe learn just a little bit about how the US Government works before going down this road. This isnt the hamas weapon thread, so lets not bring that disagreement into this thread.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Ruling a country by Executive Order is no different to a Dictatorship..
It's also what Obama campaigned against..
Right or wrong?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Where are you getting ruling a country by Executive order? Its nowhere in any of the cited sources.

Please show us where it states Obama is running the US by EO.

As I said before, expand your horizon and try to learn something about how the US Government works before throwing accusations.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Where are you getting ruling a country by Executive order? Its nowhere in any of the cited sources.

Please show us where it states Obama is running the US by EO.

As I said before, expand your horizon and try to learn something about how the US Government works before throwing accusations.

Ummm, using executive orders are NOT bypassing the constitution??
Please explain that to me...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Mate. Why do you Americans pay all the salaries for a congress and their secretaries if the President doesn't see fit to ask their opinion??

Doesn't make sense..
Just call it a dictatorship and save on wages..

Exactly black, i have argued this fact to every professor i know, how in sam hill can you say you have a democracy with a 3 tier system-Legislative,Executive,Judicial, when the president through either the U.N. or an executive order can put America into war

BUT the arguement is that Congress holds the purse,OWE really when is the last time they stopped funding WARS,since Nixon bombed the hell out of Cambodia

This country has turned into a hidden Oligarchy, with the president as head puppet, with NO oversite

I might add just exactly what fuels my fire, is if you took even half the war budget and put it either into the America economy, or the International, you would not see the hunger that goes along with genocide

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I am going to use Syria in this hypothetical, since its the topic so bear with me.

Check out this link to see the indepth explanations of an executive order. Several articles in the consitution cover whats refered to as executive authority.
Executive Order Overview

The President directs the State Department to establish diplomatic relations with Syria. Since the President is the chief Diplomat of the US, he can do this. Since the State Department is part of the Executive, they answer to the President. Once the diplomatic agreements are made, it is submitted to Congress for its approval or rejection.

If they approve it, the treaty becomes ratified, and is entered into the US federal body of Law.

If at some point in the future, Syria does something that is unacceptbale, the President can issue executive orders ( a directive applicable only to the executive branch of government (State, Defence, Commerce, Agriculture, Vetrans Affairs, etc etc etc) to cease actions.

In this case, the President issued an order to the agencies that are covered by the Executive branch, in this case State and Commerce, directing them to suspend actions with Syria.

Foreign commerce is regulated through the Federal government since the individual states are prohibited from entering into political agreements with foreign countries at that level.

What President Obama did was to restrict certain aspects of the bilaterla agreement. He did not abolish the treaty, nor did he ursurp conressional authorty either. He used the authority granted to him in the Constitution.

As a side note by the way, 20 dollars says he did consult with Congress and kept them in the loop. The White House works close with the Congressional leadership on issues like these. Why you see the President announcing this is because he is the United States in this matter. He is the elected leader of the country, where as Congress are the elected representatives of the people (House) and the States (Senate).

When applying sanctions, a country wnats to speak with one voice so the message is clear. If Obama, Reid, Boiehner and the secretary of State and Commerce all made announcement, the question becomes who the hell is in charge.

Hopefully I am explaining this in a manner it can be understood. The best comparison I can give is the Syrian Ambassador to the United Kingdom. The Ambassador (says his name is Faizel Doe) is not a person. The Ambassador is Syris itself.

Hope this makes sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join