It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Libya Just Invade Tunisia?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If cross border skirmishes purusing elements in flight across international borders constitute an invasion, then the United States invaded Pakistan a long time ago!

Oh and keeps doing it every other day.

The CIA funded opposition to Gaddafi is a shadowy group of dubious nature that probably has international origins and a composite makeup itself.

With reports of European Mercanaries alleged to be fighting for Gaddafi now trickling in, what we have here is a proxy war, much like in Spain right before World War II heated up, with a number of nations and organizations sending combatants and weapons as a form or 'proving' ground for a larger conflict soon to follow.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
If cross border skirmishes purusing elements in flight across international borders constitute an invasion, then the United States invaded Pakistan a long time ago!

Oh and keeps doing it every other day.

The CIA funded opposition to Gaddafi is a shadowy group of dubious nature that probably has international origins and a composite makeup itself.

With reports of European Mercanaries alleged to be fighting for Gaddafi now trickling in, what we have here is a proxy war, much like in Spain right before World War II heated up, with a number of nations and organizations sending combatants and weapons as a form or 'proving' ground for a larger conflict soon to follow.

This was my entire point from the start......

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Here's the Reuters take on it: www.reuters.com...

Note date...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

My respnse was not to you, but a different poster. I removed his name from my post and made it general so as not to hurt anyones feelings.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by userid1
Here's the Reuters take on it: www.reuters.com...

Note date...

Ok then why are some people on this thread saying bashing it.All I did was present an article from zero hedge even used there headline.I mean like I said wars have been started for less

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thats what I am saying though. There is a difference between an invasion and armed incursion. The US has armed incursion all the time along our southern border with Mexico.

If the Libyan troops continued their advance, and started to control tunisian territory, then you have an argument.

This was an armed incrusion and nothing more. Big difference between the 2.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Tunisia just invaded back:

DEHIBA, Tunisia (Reuters) – Forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi fought a gun battle with Tunisian troops in a frontier town on Friday as Libya's conflict spilled over its borders.

Pro-Gaddafi forces shelled the town of Dehiba, damaging buildings and wounding at least one resident, and a squad drove into the town in a truck chasing anti-Gaddafi rebels.

Tunisia summoned Libya's ambassador to protest against the incursions.

Tunisian deputy foreign minister Radhouane Nouicer, speaking on Al Jazeera television, said casualties had been inflicted, including a young girl.

Read more: news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You are actually correct in this regard.

It is simply an incursion if no territory is captured and held for any signifigant length of time.

This is simply shoddy jounalism with a political twist, trying to lay the provacative ground work for an argument for more military action against Libya.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Yeah there seems to be some behind the scenes forces at work here and it smells rank indeed

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Still an important story though.. Things are bad enough in these countries.. If a Libyan incursion results in a Tunisian response and it snowballs, then we just went from worse to insert whats worse than worse here.

Libyan troops are under pressure to engage the rebels, and we have seen reports of soldiers being executed by Pro Gadaffi forces for failing to engage rebels. Its entirely possible, if those reports are accurate, that Libyan soldiers might be under the impression that if they stop at the border instead of pursuing the rebels, they might face discipline / execution.

I have not seen to much about Libyian command and control elements, so im not entirely sure how they are coordinating their forces. This might be another cause for entering Tunisian territory.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
reply to post by princeofpeace

OP didnt try to pass anything off as i stated I only posted the article verbatim form zero hedge if you want to blame some one for fearmongering please direct all emails and complaints to zero hedge and the telegraph uk my good man;

So you take no responsibility for posting a misleading, sensationalized 'news' article?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I'm surprised there's a thread on this..It should say, "libyan forces chase rebels into Tunisia sparking a conflict," but to label it an invasion is just nonsense. This area has been the scene of intense fighting over the past week and a half. The rebels fled into Tunisia and the libyans chased them. When they got far enough into the territory they were attacked with rocks by civillians who seemed to be protecting the rebels. The tunisian military actually left their post at one time determined to stay out of it but when artillery started flying it seems they intervened and escourted the libyan armyback to Libya

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

She followed the T and C for posting, using the title the article uses, which in this case is Did Libya just invade Tunisia.

I agree the title is misleading, but the OP is not responsible for that. You should refer your comments to the author of the article itself -

Mr. Tyler Durden - www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The author didnt post the article here, defending it. The OP did.

I will take her lack of a response to imply she takes no personal responsibility or does any research before posting.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Why doesn't France admit to what they have created. A Gaza strip on the edge of Libya to control the oil for BP and other oil companies. If you don't know this is a never ending battle started by France and oil companies with the prospect of taking control of Libyas central bank in order to convert it to a EU US friendly banking system. But the second part of that failed when Obama left France with the mess they started. The most they can hope for is peace talks for the next 50 years as both sides fight off and on.

www.wikileaks.de...

¶37. (C) But, will France-Afrique and old habits ever
completely fade? One MOD contact, not known for
sentimentality, believes that certain parts of France-Afrique
will endure, if for no other reason than the common use of
the French language and long intertwined histories.
Prefacing his remarks by noting their lack of "political
correctness" and their triteness, he says that the
relationship was for a long time similar to a parent-child
relationship. "Now, the child is an adult, capable of and
deserving of more autonomy, yet still welcoming our help and
guidance. What Sarkozy is doing is kicking the fledgling out
of the nest, which is sort of the way he approaches a lot of
problems. A heavy dose of what you might call 'tough love,'
not always dispensed lovingly. Eventually, the now-grown
adult child will be replaced by something resembling a cousin
or a nephew. We will grow farther apart and less apt to look
to each other reflexively, but some familial bond will
remain, however much we may seek to deny it, and familial
bonds are always to be nurtured. Our job is to make sure
that this inevitable drifting apart takes place positively on
both sides, does not completely extinguish the bond, and,
most importantly, does not turn into an estrangement. That
would be a loss for everyone -- French, Africans, and
Americans."

"What Sarkozy is doing is kicking the fledgling out
of the nest, which is sort of the way he approaches a lot of
problems. A heavy dose of what you might call 'tough love,'
not always dispensed lovingly. "

edit on 30-4-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

This is Getting real out of control real fast.

Gadaffi is not doing anything in Tunisia
that the US isn't doing in Pakistan and Yemen
except Gadaffi is doing it low tech.
edit on 4/30/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Yeah there seems to be some behind the scenes forces at work here and it smells rank indeed

(from the article)

So is this the carte blanche that Pro Oil liberation forces need in order to justify a land invasion of Libya? And what happens to oil in that case when Gaddafi's back is truly against the wall?

does anybody smell a false flag here ?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The title reads:

"Did Libya Just Invade Tunisia?". It is a question, not a statement of fact. As I think we all agree - Libya has NOT (yet) invaded Tunisia, merely crossed the border without permission whilst armed and chasing rebels.

So, the article headline is accurate, and is not sensationalist. The story as reported however, may be rigged that way. Now is a good time to say Caveat Emptor (or whatever the equivalent for READER BEWARE is - I'm too tired).

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

There have been rumors that the civil unrest is CIA backed in a plot to destabilize the Middle East and take control of the oil productions in Libya

Seeing as the West had "control" of Oil production through deals we had done with Gaddafi and most of the 1 million barrels a day went to Europe, what would be the point of the West then destablising this source of Oil, sending the price sky rocketing and then facing a rebellion which has said all prvious oil deals are up for review, meaning we could lose all our investment?

It's a silly notion, the West going after Libya's Oil, as we already had it. I have tried to get that point across in many threads but some people just don't get it.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

It's a silly notion, the West going after Libya's Oil, as we already had it. I have tried to get that point across in many threads but some people just don't get it.

Agreed. But I suspect people just like to pretend everything is about oil, because that has become the default reason for activists since the Bush years, regardless of applicability.

Now, the reports about Libya being smacked for daring to leave behind the US dollar seem at least valid and reasonable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join