It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question on recent Minnesota 2.5 EQ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I know this is only a 2.5 EQ, so it barely even registers on the radar so to speak, but this occurred in Minnesota of all places.

USGS: Event us2011kha1

The USGS map showing the EQ shows no fault lines, and the earthquake hazard map from the same organization shows Minnesota as the lowest level of likelihood, 0-2%, for earthquakes of any sizable magnitude

Can someone shed some light on this? Is there some activity in Minnesota that would register as an earthquake currently? With all of the swarms going on in Arkansas and Nevada I saw this event and was all levels of puzzled.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sir Solomon

Check out this paper. It might shed some light on the subject.

www.morris.umn.edu...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
I know this is only a 2.5 EQ, so it barely even registers on the radar so to speak, but this occurred in Minnesota of all places.

USGS: Event us2011kha1

The USGS map showing the EQ shows no fault lines, and the earthquake hazard map from the same organization shows Minnesota as the lowest level of likelihood, 0-2%, for earthquakes of any sizable magnitude

Can someone shed some light on this? Is there some activity in Minnesota that would register as an earthquake currently? With all of the swarms going on in Arkansas and Nevada I saw this event and was all levels of puzzled.

I live here.

Is there a specific location?

I live near the Twin Cities.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by neOrevolutionist

Thank you. Very interesting to read, and very enlightening as I am unfamiliar with Minnesota's geology. I'm at a disadvantage since I study geography and am going to turn my academic curiosity loose on geology later this summer after my thesis is complete.

The specific area appears to be the most "active" zone in the state, and is capable of producing some small EQ as the N. American continent is moved about (stress transference along the plate and all). So not much alarm per se as it is not unheard of, but just so infrequent that people don't hear about it as often as they do other regions.

It does make me wonder though at the level of stress being transferred through the plate, but that is something I will research on my own.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mudbeed

The Geographic Coordinates are 45.884°N, 95.465°W. Using Google Earth all I saw was farmland and some housing, nothing too out of the ordinary. It is on the western side of the state and unless more earthquakes start showing up right now I wouldn't get too worried. Just an anomaly for now in my book.

new topics

top topics

join